Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agfa APX 100 - nice film

Hello,

I have just shot my first roll of Agfa APX 100.
I found it a very nice film and at half the price of similar offerings from Kodak or Ilford.

Cheers,

Luc

08-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

APX100 and Rodinal is a classic combination.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-13-2009 at 04:28 PM.
08-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Agfa APX 100 - nice film

This is my favorite B&W film, no question. I love the tonal gradations and the contrast is just right.
08-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes very nice, good shots.

I know I keep pushing the Fomapan R 100 B&W reversal film, but it is also very good.
Like Kodachrome you need to send it off for processing, but it's worth it.
It's the Agfa Scala replacement, so as far as I know the only B&W slide film around.

08-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes Fomapan but I am still smarting about the cost of developing and shipping

Cheers,

Luc
08-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Yes Fomapan but I am still smarting about the cost of developing and shipping

Cheers,

Luc
Yes that is a pain and I will only send in a minimum two rolls at a time to save shipping costs.
I'm actually going to Denver in the fall and plan to shoot Fomapan. Denver is where the dr5 lab is located, so when I'm done I'll drop off the film before I fly home, so at least I will save shipping one way. Also looking forward to checking out the lab.

Phil.
08-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where does fomapan have to be processed and does it come with mailers like the old Scala?

While I haven't used the Agfa B&W, it's still nice to see any film still on store shelves. I've always preferred Ilford Delta 100, and I believe it's still being made, so that's usually the first one I grab for b&w.

08-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Where does fomapan have to be processed and does it come with mailers like the old Scala?

While I haven't used the Agfa B&W, it's still nice to see any film still on store shelves. I've always preferred Ilford Delta 100, and I believe it's still being made, so that's usually the first one I grab for b&w.
dr5 Chrome in Denver and no mailers that I know of, I buy the film at Freestyle.

dr5 CHROME - Black and White slide / transparency process + THE ONLY QUALITY SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE
08-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
APX100 was my bread-n-butter film through the 90s and I really love it.
It is still available under the Rollei Retro brand, and rumour says new smaller batches are about to be produced again.

The EFKE 100 is as nice in tonality but has bigger grain
PlusX Pan is also creamy and finer grained, but IMHO lacks punch
08-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love AGFA black and white. In 35mm, I have been shooting Arista II 400 (which is a rebadged APX400) almost exclusively. Love the look -- nice tonality, great classic grain.

I never had a chance to use AGFA colour in still photography, but my favourite motion picture film remains AGFA 320. (It was used to good effect to shoot the first couple seasons of Seinfeld.)
08-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most commonly available black and white negative films can be processed as positive
transparencies using dr5, with results as good or better than Scala and the Foma film.

dr5 Film Review

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-13-2009 at 07:52 PM.
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice shots... did you develop it yourself?
08-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Very nice shots... did you develop it yourself?
Thank you and I wish
No it was developed at my local FotoFun.
I am hoping to setup a small portable darkroom maybe next year. But for now my switch to film and the associated small purchases and back and forth to camera shops have taxed my wife tolerance to its limit.
So next resolutions (early) are darkroom and new monitor - no lenses, no camera,...

Cheers,

Luc
08-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
dr5 Chrome in Denver and no mailers that I know of, I buy the film at Freestyle.

dr5 CHROME - Black and White slide / transparency process + THE ONLY QUALITY SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE
Hopefully they're more professional about processing your stuff than the way their website looks. Interesting how they can take negative film and make it positive.

I used to like Scala for purposely blowing out skies, as I loved that effect.
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Thank you and I wish
No it was developed at my local FotoFun.
I am hoping to setup a small portable darkroom maybe next year. But for now my switch to film and the associated small purchases and back and forth to camera shops have taxed my wife tolerance to its limit.
So next resolutions (early) are darkroom and new monitor - no lenses, no camera,...

Cheers,

Luc
My friend was showing off a B&W Photo that he developed himself so I become a bit jealous just like he wanted me to Unfortunately I definitely have zero space for darkroom. I can only hope that the school's darkroom won't be closed anytime (too) soon