Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Super Program issues

My father recently gave me his old Super and it has some issues. First off, the mirror is in the up position and while I can manually pull it down, it returns to the up position upon release. The shutter release and the DOF preview lever are unresponsive. I changed the batteries for brand new ones and got no change. Any help in fixing this wonderful camera would be much appreciated.

08-17-2009, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Grab the lens in one hand and smack the base of the camera into the palm of your hand a few times.
Then try winding/releasing the shutter.
08-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a Nikon FE freeze up just like this... it has a metal shutter, gently encouraging it to open solved the issue.
08-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like your camera has a gunked up part somewhere
so letś start by the eaiest... how do the light seals look?
if those are gummy then you better change them, maybe the mirror bumper foam is sticky and the mirror sticks to it?

Otherwise most of the camera elements are mechanical + electrical so the recommendations of exercizing the camera hold true.

08-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The mirror box mehanisms probably need to be relubed.
08-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Grab the lens in one hand and smack the base of the camera into the palm of your hand a few times.
You are awesome! worked like a charm.... except that my hand hurts now... Thanks again!
08-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wheatfield's school of "smack it 'till it works"

Classic!

08-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmm, I tried this trick w/ my Program Plus w/o any luck So I opened it up, but didn't know where to check so to make it work. Well, now I got a lot spare parts and don't really want (or know how) to put them back ...
08-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, I tried this trick w/ my Program Plus w/o any luck So I opened it up, but didn't know where to check so to make it work. Well, now I got a lot spare parts and don't really want (or know how) to put them back ...
You didn't hit it hard enough.
08-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Okay, but the problem w/ mine was different. The shutter stuck at the bottom, inside the body and wouldn't come out I tried to hit it on my hand with the camera top, you know, try to shake it loose, but failed.

Actually the shutter was stuck half way before I pulled it down (by using both hand from front and back of the camera), and it just disappeared That leads me to the hit and shake trial...

It's a good learning experience opening it up anyway, and quite fun to look at all the parts all over the table. Now I just put every little part into a plastic bag, maybe I can use some parts in the future
08-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Now we know the "true" story behind the 645 that took the dive off of the building.
08-31-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Inactive Account

HI,Frank,just posted about same problem and referred here.I have same issue,mirror up,shutter closed.Tried the bash didnt work,did you get yours working.
Thank you Steve
08-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lorne-ranger Quote
HI,Frank,just posted about same problem and referred here.I have same issue,mirror up,shutter closed.Tried the bash didnt work,did you get yours working.
Thank you Steve
Nah, I gave up already. The camera has been taken apart already. But the problem w/ mine was different: the shutter was hidden blow in the base, just disappeared. 'Cause I pushed too hard when I tried to push it down Hope you won't make the same mistake when you try the following tricks:

1. Make sure you have fresh batteries installed correctly
2. Set the mode dial to 1/125x or B (not really a must, but better so in my experience)
3. Open up the back door, put your finger tip lightly on the shutter (those hinges visible from the back) and push it gently down. Normally this would fix the problem
4. If not, then you try Wheatfield's trick again, and hit it HARDER

Good luck.
09-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I actually had this same issue the other day. One thing I learned about the mirror being locked in the up position is that it could still be pulled down as previously noted. What I did though was to gently pull it down to verify that it was not stuck, then smacked it as previously suggested. Then if it didn't come down I gently pulled the mirror fully down again and went back to the beating of my hand. Making sure that there is no material for it to actually stick to once loose will help as well. I think my issue what that I tried taking a test shot with out film and forgot to take the cap off. This messed with the light meter that died with the battery. Just my .02 or more cents on this issue.
12-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

BAHAHA! My ME Super exhibited the same symptoms after finishing up a roll of Portra 400. I swapped batteries, flicked the apeture lever, opened up the bottom and poked around for an hour. No avail.
I tried what I will now call "the Wheatfeild method" and presto, we're in business.

While not as technical as other photographic methods such as the "Brenizer method", or the "Westhoff method", the "Wheatfield method" gets results!