Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax LX question

I have a problem with my LX.
When I shot, in Automatic position, with a time less than 1/250 (1/500-1/1000 etc), the camera shutter remains open and I must select the manual position for close it.
In manual position the camera works perfectly.
Can someone help me?

08-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the shutter stay open or does the mirror stay up? In either case, it's time for a thorough cla.
08-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Does the shutter stay open or does the mirror stay up? In either case, it's time for a thorough cla.
The mirror stay up and the shutter stay open.
What's "cla".
08-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #4

Cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment. Although if you have the "sticky mirror" syndrome you may need to have parts replaced, too...

08-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nunzio Quote
I have a problem with my LX.
When I shot, in Automatic position, with a time less than 1/250 (1/500-1/1000 etc), the camera shutter remains open and I must select the manual position for close it.
In manual position the camera works perfectly.
Can someone help me?
Have you tried changing the batteries for new ones?

Cheers,

Luc
08-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like the ISO resistor has corroded. Try spinning the ISO dial back and forth from stop to stop a few dozen times to see if you can clean it up. If that doesn't work, it's shop time.
08-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you have one of the later LX's, press the button near the ISO dial that turns on the meter (or just lightly press the shutter release with any winder or motor drive turned off) with a battery cap on; you should get a red LED all the way at the bottom of the shutter speed range. If the LED is blinking, time for a battery change. If it doesn't come on at all, ditto, but sounds like you have a speed indication so this probably doesn't apply.

Incidentally, how do you know what shutter speed you're shooting if you set the shutter to "Automatic?" Are you just going by the indicated shutter speed? Remember, the LX uses "off-the-film" metering during the exposure with "stepless" shutter speeds when set to "Automatic," so maybe you have some sort of meter problem. If it seems to work OK on manual speeds (i.e., it meters correctly) than I would bet it's battery replacement time. So, how about it? That meter LED blinking??

08-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It sounds like the ISO resistor has corroded. Try spinning the ISO dial back and forth from stop to stop a few dozen times to see if you can clean it up. If that doesn't work, it's shop time.
I've done this, but nothing changes.
08-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I........ If the LED is blinking, time for a battery change. If it doesn't come on at all, ditto, but sounds like you have a speed indication so this probably doesn't apply............

The Led doesn't blink and it's seems to me the batteries are good, however I'll try to replace them.

Thank you
08-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

One last question, and this was alluded to in a previous post. You do have film in the camera when this happens don't you?
08-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #11

Original Poster
One last question, and this was alluded to in a previous post. You do have film in the camera when this happens don't you?
I've tried with the film and without and there's no difference.
08-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nunzio Quote
I've tried with the film and without and there's no difference.
That's interesting. There should be a huge difference. In auto, the camera is metering off the film, so with no film in the camera the auto should do as you describe.
If it isn't the batteries (which it wouldn't be anyway as weak batteries will close the shutter early) and you can't get it working by exercising the ISO resistor, it might be the circuit board itself has gone flakey. I had that happen to one of my LX bodies. It took forever to get it fixed as Pentax had to fab the board for me at the factory. There were so many internal changes made to the LX over it's life that parts are a bit of a nightmare.
I'd send it to Pentax and hope they can resolve it.
08-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #13

Original Poster
...........I'd send it to Pentax and hope they can resolve it.
Yes I think I will send to Pentax for a check.

Thanks.