Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

Pentax MX question

Hi, my first post to the forum as I am a brand-new Pentax convert with the purchase of a 30-yr old MX.

Does anyone know if the hotshoe can just be removed from the MX? I generally like to use my cameras streamlined and as I dont use flash at all, I dont need the shoe. I know there might be a hole left but I thought I could just cover that with tape or plug it with something.

The reason I ask is that I recently saw an MX without a hotshoe--I thought it had either been removed or the finder itself replaced with something like the FA-2 finder from the LX series, but I dont think the finder on the MX is interchangeable?

Thanks for any ideas...

08-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
netoyen,

I think it is safe to say removing the hotshoe would be a BIG mistake. Just leave it there - it won't do any harm. If you need a flash for some reason it will be there. You can change focusing screens on the MX but only the LX offers interchangable finders.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-23-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
08-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Tom G,

Thanks for the quick reply. I should mention I saw the hotshoe-less MX in a documentary film but I couldnt tell if there was a hole in the prism or not. Why would you say removing it would be a big mistake (I wouldnt remove it myself, but rather have it done professionally when I get the camera CLA'd).

netoyen

Last edited by netoyen; 08-23-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: clarification
08-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The MX hot shoe is attached to the top cover with hidden screws.
Removal of the shoe will expose several holes which must be sealed.
How to patch these permanently will present a problem.

The hot shoe circuitry should be removed or safely terminated.
Special care must be taken not to disable the meter circuitry.

IMO this work should be done by a professional repairer.
If you are in North America I recommend Eric Hendrickson.

The FA-2 eyelevel prism fits only the Pentax LX camera.

The Olympus OM-1 camera is quite similar to the Pentax MX.
It has a fixed prism with a user-removable hot shoe.

Chris

08-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by netoyen Quote
Tom G,

Thanks for the quick reply. I should mention I saw the hotshoe-less MX in a documentary film but I couldnt tell if there was a hole in the prism or not. Why would you say removing it would be a big mistake (I wouldnt remove it myself, but rather have it done professionally when I get the camera CLA'd).

netoyen
I was under the impression that you were going to try this yourself and hence the mistake comment. Chris suggests more reasons why removal of the hotshot might be problematic even for a professional. IMO it would probably be more trouble than it is worth and might add a lot of cost to the CLA. In any case, good luck with the project.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-23-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
08-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you don't like the hotshoe on your MX, you can remove it.

Contrary with many posts in this thread, I think it is a simple project. If you know how to remove the top plate of the camera, you can remove the the hot shoe.

I know because I myself replaced the hotshoe (bad due to corrosion) on my current MX.
08-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If you don't like the hotshoe on your MX, you can remove it.

Contrary with many posts in this thread, I think it is a simple project. If you know how to remove the top plate of the camera, you can remove the the hot shoe.

I know because I myself replaced the hotshoe (bad due to corrosion) on my current MX.
except removing the top plate of an MX is not a simple project. especially for someone who may have no prior experience in camera maintenance/repair.
08-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
DAP

It isn't as easy as just popping the top off and unscrewing the hotshoe. Just removing the shoe would leave you with open holes in the top plate (it has been awhile but if I remember correctly the cover bulges outward under the shoe - it is not a flat slope). Just losing the shoe would leave you w/ a not too pretty camera with light leaks. If you wanted to do a good job you would have to solder the holes shut and repaint/rechrome. This would end up being WAY more work than it is worth. If you want a shoe-less prism an LX w/ a FA-2 prism would be a better option (or an olympus om-1 if you don't mind switching systems).

08-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #9

Despite what people seem to be saying, it is easy to remove. You just have to pop off the little metal cover that sits in the bottom part of the shoe, should basically just lift off. This will reveal four little screws, remove those. The shoe then lifts right off the camera, leaving a flat slope, but also four screw holes and one bigger hole where a metal contact comes through to connect to the shoe.

I dont see why you couldn't tape over it (or whatever) it's just some wiring that completes a circuit, there's no juice going through it if you don't have a flash on, nor do I see how it would mess with the meter circuitry unless you cause some sort of weird grounding situation, but even then...

Quick edit: I will say, though, that if you don't get those holes light tight it could very well mess with your light readings.
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hi, my first post to the forum as I am a brand-new Pentax convert with the purchase of a 30-yr old MX.

Does anyone know if the hotshoe can just be removed from the MX? I generally like to use my cameras streamlined and as I dont use flash at all, I dont need the shoe. I know there might be a hole left but I thought I could just cover that with tape or plug it with something.

The reason I ask is that I recently saw an MX without a hotshoe--I thought it had either been removed or the finder itself replaced with something like the FA-2 finder from the LX series, but I dont think the finder on the MX is interchangeable?

Thanks for any ideas...
Taking my inspiration from the great Canadian inventor Red Green, I suggest that you take your MX to the local welding shop and get them to grind off that silly old hot shoe. Slap a piece of duct tape on the hole and you're off to the races!
08-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks for any ideas...
Your camera, you can do whatever you want but:

1) You'll ruin any resale value/appeal

2) If you want a camera without a hotshoe, there are many other makes & models to chose from (even within the wider Pentax range).
09-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I just noticed that my recently purchased (from a forum member) Pentax P3n body
has a black plastic cover that slides on over the hot shoe, covering it completely.
Something like this might be a more elegant solution for the OP.

Chris
09-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I just noticed that my recently purchased (from a forum member) Pentax P3n body
has a black plastic cover that slides on over the hot shoe, covering it completely.
Something like this might be a more elegant solution for the OP.

Chris
id like to get my hands on one of those.
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That's the hotshoe cover that comes with the SF series of bodies. It's great for keeping the metal edges of my hotshoe from chafing my shirt.

Only downside, is that, when used on a Kseries DSLR, it will keep the popup from extending fully.
09-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
id like to get my hands on one of those.
Check out eBay auction 350255620134.

Chris