Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Problem/Question: ZX-5 rewinds before end of the roll

Dear all,

Couple months ago I got a ZX-5 from Eb*y and just put a roll of film on it on the past weekend. I believe the film was a 24 exposure, but the camera started to rewind just after the 10th frame.

I wonder if anybody else had a similar experiences with the ZX series or ZX-5 in particular? Is it possible the camera advanced the film more than one frame length at time?

I'd like to try to use the rest of the frame, what will be the best way to get the (part of the) film out?

Thank you.

08-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a very similar thread a little way down the page started by Hobojangles with what appears to be essentially the same problem with an MZ-M. J. Scott had this answer:

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
The manual says that the film auto-rewinds at the end of the roll.

Just a couple things to ponder:
-perhaps the 'mid-roll rewind' button is stuck in the 'on' position.
-have you tried different rolls of film? For some reason that roll may be wound too tightly and the camera is sensing this and rewinding.
I'm wondering if there's an issue with the mid-roll re-wind button; maybe it's on (and it shouldn't be) or it's malfunctioning in some way.

Best,
Kevin
08-24-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Auto rewind is based on film tension. If the film magazine is a little tighter than normal (the felt lips a bit crushed, this can trigger a premature rewind.
Also, I have seen auto rewind cameras do this when the film is inserted too far past the take up line and the takeup forces a loop into the film.
IIRC, the MZ series is quite susceptible to this, so check your film loading before you decide the camera is at fault.
It's unlikely that the camera is overadvancing film. The best way to get the tongue extracted from the can is to take it to the lab that you use and ask them to pull the leader for you.
08-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is the first time I heard about mid-roll rewind button. I have to check whether the MZ-5 has this feature.

Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
There's a very similar thread a little way down the page started by Hobojangles with what appears to be essentially the same problem with an MZ-M. J. Scott had this answer:

I'm wondering if there's an issue with the mid-roll re-wind button; maybe it's on (and it shouldn't be) or it's malfunctioning in some way.

Best,
Kevin