Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter

BW C41 Enlargements

The question is about the C41 black and white "tint".

1) Am I correct that the tint is in the printing phase and not the negatives themselves?

2) If I do enlargements from the negative will they also suffer from the tint or would they be "normal"

3) If I scan the negative and then enlarge, do I avoid the tint issues?

Thanks

08-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tint?

08-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As long as you use BW paper, enlargements should be fine. Actually, the tint _is_ in the negatives, but BW negatives often have a tint. It just doesn't matter because the paper does not reproduce colour anyway.
08-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For my non-wet workflow, I desaturate the C41 scan first - pure grey tones but in a color space - and then apply my own toning to make the inkjet printer happier (not to mention, real photo papers had some tone to them).

You'd run into similar issues with silver b&w negatives, scanned into color space and printed on color paper, as you do with C41. Only mostly we're not silly enough to do that

Re. what brkl says, for traditional enlargement purposes the Ilford XP2 is usually considered better, as it doesn't have the color mask that the Kodak film has.

08-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'll answer with my point of view (which agrees with everyone else)

QuoteQuote:
1) Am I correct that the tint is in the printing phase and not the negatives themselves?
yes, well sort of! Kodak C41 negs are tinted but it's the printing method that governs if a tint is achieved, desired or not

QuoteQuote:
2) If I do enlargements from the negative will they also suffer from the tint or would they be "normal"
traditional enlargements? if yes, then they won't suffer from the tint as the paper is B&W (note that some papers may exhibit tints on their on behalf eg. warmtone papers). Kodak C41 film with the orange mask needs much longer exposure times than the mask free Ilford version. The mask is there to assist in being able to print in a minilab.

QuoteQuote:
3) If I scan the negative and then enlarge, do I avoid the tint issues?
depends... on how you scan. Scan in B&W and you'll be fine. Scan in colour and then desaturate or convert to greyscale using one of a million methods available. There are various reasons why you might want to do either method.

Last edited by HGMonaro; 08-24-2009 at 09:36 PM.