Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K1000 fungus question...

Hi, I have a circa 1990 K1000 body that is mechanically fine, but at some point in the last 5 years of storage (mostly in a desk drawer or a camera bag) it has developed some sort of internal fungus that is not on any lens, not on the flip-up mirror, and not on the or the underside (easily visible side) of the focus screen inside the camera.

I've included a picture of the fungus as seen from inside the viewfinder here (taken from my K200D with a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 Macro lens). I'm going to guess it's somewhere between the focus screen and the viewfinder optics in the back of the camera, since it appears out of focus when the focus screen is sharp, and I can't make it out when I take my eye away from the viewfinder and look into it from a distance.

Is there anything I can (reasonably) do about it? Is it anything to worry about (other than the aggravation factor)? i.e. do I need to worry about lenses I hook up to this body 'catching' the fungus?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Attached Images

08-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had that happen to a K1000 I had. I assumed it was corosion on the pentaprism coating, and not fungus. But I could be wrong. I never did take the camera apart to confirm what it was.

My camera was a Chinese made K1000, and I did not see the value in getting it repaired.
08-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Damn Brit

If you look at it closely, you can see that it is symmetrical and it doesn't look like a naturally occurring pattern.
08-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thats why I thought it was corrosion on the prism. That pattern, to me, looks like it is happening along the top edge of the prism. Thus, the symetrical look.

08-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I had that happen to a K1000 I had. I assumed it was corosion on the pentaprism coating, and not fungus. But I could be wrong. I never did take the camera apart to confirm what it was.

My camera was a Chinese made K1000, and I did not see the value in getting it repaired.
Hmm, interesting. I didn't think corrosion would spread across optical surfaces like that, and I don't have corrosion that I can see anywhere else, but I agree, it is very symmetrical and doesn't match the pictures of lens fungus I've seen. It also hasn't changed at all in the last year.

I downloaded a camera dissasembly/repair guide intended for camera technicians that features the K1000 as it's example camera, is it worth me trying to follow it to get to where this corrosion is and try and clean it?
08-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #6

I had a chinese k1000 that had nearly the same looking thing. It is actually damage to the pentaprism (not exactly sure from what) so there seems to be no way of cleaning/fixing it beyond replacement.

It's not terribly difficult to replace the prism, though, if you have another junker with a good one. You need to remove the top plate, loosen a set screw, and remove the spring held retaining clip to the prism and it lifts right out. If you have that detailed k1000 service manual that's floating around, it has more than enough instruction.
08-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Nater,

Pick up a parts camera off ebay for a prism. The aluminum coating is not cleanable. It will just come off if you try to rub on it. It is put on with an electrostatic charge and is super thin.

08-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Pick up a parts camera off ebay for a prism. The aluminum coating is not cleanable. It will just come off if you try to rub on it. It is put on with an electrostatic charge and is super thin.
Thanks - that's good to know that I can't clean it (I probably would have tried).

While browsing ebay today, I came across a Promaster 2500PK Super w/50mm f1.7 lens used, good condition for $20 + $10 ship and bought it... I think I'll give that a whirl while I find a cheap K1000 for parts... the 2500PK Super is made by Cosina I take it, and has a couple of features I always wished the K1000 had - DOF preview and multiple exposures. It appears to be very similar to the Cosina C1s and Cosina-made Vivitar V3800N. I've noticed that the Vivitar got some bad marks in terms of durability from some teachers who've bought batches for schools (some units having light meters go wonky and mechanical issues after a year), at least compared to the K1000 they had been using in those schools.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
01-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Hi, I have a circa 1990 K1000 body that is mechanically fine, but at some point in the last 5 years of storage (mostly in a desk drawer or a camera bag) it has developed some sort of internal fungus that is not on any lens, not on the flip-up mirror, and not on the or the underside (easily visible side) of the focus screen inside the camera.

I've included a picture of the fungus as seen from inside the viewfinder here (taken from my K200D with a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 Macro lens). I'm going to guess it's somewhere between the focus screen and the viewfinder optics in the back of the camera, since it appears out of focus when the focus screen is sharp, and I can't make it out when I take my eye away from the viewfinder and look into it from a distance.

Is there anything I can (reasonably) do about it? Is it anything to worry about (other than the aggravation factor)? i.e. do I need to worry about lenses I hook up to this body 'catching' the fungus?

Hola ! tengo el mismo problema de hongos, pero el mio ya es un arbol... un viejo hombre que arreglaba este tipo de problema me dijo que se va exponiendolo a simplemente "vapor de Agua".. aun no lo he probado ya que estoy consiguiendome un juego de destornilladores phillips chiquitos para desmontar y llegar al prisma.. cuando lo realize dare las noticias.. Saludos a todos !
01-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rashoresplandece Quote
Hola ! tengo el mismo problema de hongos, pero el mio ya es un arbol... un viejo hombre que arreglaba este tipo de problema me dijo que se va exponiendolo a simplemente "vapor de Agua".. aun no lo he probado ya que estoy consiguiendome un juego de destornilladores phillips chiquitos para desmontar y llegar al prisma.. cuando lo realize dare las noticias.. Saludos a todos !
Welcome to the Pentax Forums rashoresplandece
07-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #11

Hi Nater,

Regarding a strange apparition in the viewfinder of the K1000, I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a fix for the issue? Is the poster who commented that the viewfinder needs replacement correct. I have another K1000 that does not have this issue. I was thinking of putting the problem one on ebay for parts, but I did not want to sell it without knowing what was wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
07-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benkaf Quote
Hi Nater,

Regarding a strange apparition in the viewfinder of the K1000, I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a fix for the issue? Is the poster who commented that the viewfinder needs replacement correct. I have another K1000 that does not have this issue. I was thinking of putting the problem one on ebay for parts, but I did not want to sell it without knowing what was wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
It could be one of the camera seals or mirror bumper that is disintegrating. I had a K1000SE with all sorts of crap in the viewfinder that I sent to Eric for cleaning. He mentioned that he had to take out the whole mirror basket to clean it out.

Phil.
04-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote

Tengo creo el mismo problema que vos. Por el visor de enfoque veo una mancha parecida a la tuya. Pudiste resolverlo? Sabes como desmontar el prisma de la K1000? O donde buscar para saberlo? Muchas gracias de desde ya. Saludos!
04-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #14

Tengo creo el mismo problema que vos. Por el visor de enfoque veo una mancha parecida a la tuya. Pudiste resolverlo? Sabes como desmontar el prisma de la K1000? O donde buscar para saberlo? Muchas gracias de desde ya. Saludos!
07-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #15

Hola rashoresplandece ...!
Pudiste resolver el problema?
Me podés ayudar?
Saludos desde Buenos aires