Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are y akiddin!!!
I still use my Honeywell-Pentax Spotmatic!

12-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I'm trying to fix my Spotmatic that I bought in Singapore whil on R&R from Vietnam.Have acquired 4 Super Takumar Lenses recently with a Heiland Spotmatic. It works fine.
12-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is in reference to 'nostalgic models' / modern nostalgia... Companies that make me pay more for my personal likings deserve NOTHING!

Don't you DARE add a premium to the same-old damn run-of-the-mill production camera because I want mine in two-tone. If a modern manufacturing company can't figure out how to get that done without charging LOYAL customers a premium, these LOYAL customers need to find a new company to do THEIR business with...

Does APPLE charge more because you want a PINK iPod? Hell NO! They 'get it'

Get with it folks.. and in the meantime, STOP teasing. It creates tension and animosity - two things you don't want people contemplating when making purchases.. MARKETING 101
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Forum Member

My first "new" camera

If I might jump in here as a new forum member, my first new camera and first SLR was the Heiland Pentax with a semi-automatic diaphram 55mm f/2.2 lens. You had to manually open the diaphram after each shot. No meter, no auto-anything, no batteries. Those were the days!

Bought it in 1961 and it fell apart in 1964. Went over to Nikon for the next 40 years and now I''m back to Pentax with a K10D.

Heiland was a division of Honeywell as I remember.

Good to be here,

Larry

12-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #20

Just curious. What was the relationship between Pentax and Honeywell? How and why did it end? Anybody know??

John
12-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
Just curious. What was the relationship between Pentax and Honeywell? How and why did it end? Anybody know??

John
Honeywell had distribution rights to the Asahi Pentax equipment in the USA, as far as I could figure out. They were rebadged, but otherwise identical to the Asahi Pentax labeled versions.
12-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
This is in reference to 'nostalgic models' / modern nostalgia... Companies that make me pay more for my personal likings deserve NOTHING!

Don't you DARE add a premium to the same-old damn run-of-the-mill production camera because I want mine in two-tone. If a modern manufacturing company can't figure out how to get that done without charging LOYAL customers a premium, these LOYAL customers need to find a new company to do THEIR business with...

Get with it folks.. and in the meantime, STOP teasing. It creates tension and animosity - two things you don't want people contemplating when making purchases.. MARKETING 101
I'm not sure if Apple is a good example, because they charge quite a premium for PC hardware that will run OS X.
12-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote

Apple is an especially BAD example- I'm writing from my white macbook because an otherwise identical black one would have cost an extra $150!

12-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #24
Inactive Account

I've been working for a major phone company for the past 28 years. Way back in the day, we offered customers a lovely black phone at no extra charge. If they wanted any colour other than black they paid a monthly fee of $2.55 - for ever! Imagine hundreds of thousands of customers paying a monthly fee for colour for years! Leaglized robery was all it amounted to.

Once deregulation came about in the late 80's the company decided that they would no longer charge monthly for colour. Now you could pay a one time fee of $12 for an ivory coloured phone! Either way you look at it they were ripping people off. We had to carry literally dozens of phones on our trucks of various styles and colours and only one black model. That way they would have to take a colour option and we'd get brownie points for 'selling' colour. We were told that it actually cost more to make a black phone than it did other colours due to the dyeing process of the plastic.
12-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I've been working for a major phone company for the past 28 years. Way back in the day, we offered customers a lovely black phone at no extra charge. If they wanted any colour other than black they paid a monthly fee of $2.55 - for ever! Imagine hundreds of thousands of customers paying a monthly fee for colour for years! Leaglized robery was all it amounted to.

Once deregulation came about in the late 80's the company decided that they would no longer charge monthly for colour. Now you could pay a one time fee of $12 for an ivory coloured phone! Either way you look at it they were ripping people off. We had to carry literally dozens of phones on our trucks of various styles and colours and only one black model. That way they would have to take a colour option and we'd get brownie points for 'selling' colour. We were told that it actually cost more to make a black phone than it did other colours due to the dyeing process of the plastic.
Hey, my parents resemble that post..
They payed that fee for their cream rotary phone, and their green wall hanging rotary phone for many years...When I was old enough to read the bill, I asked them what that fee was, and they explained that they were "leasing" the phones.
The first Christmas I had a job, I went to Kmart, bought them a touch tone phone for around 20 bucks. It took some explaining and convincing to make them understand that they didnt' need to pay a monthly fee to own that phone....

(It sure is weird BTW how forum threads can make really odd turns....)
12-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #26

Wow! Just ran across this thread in the Forum (new member). My first SLR (from college) was a Pentax H3V- 1/500 top SS-no meter. Used an old Sekonic handheld my uncle gave me. I still have it and it works fine but I really have not used it in a long time. I also have 2 Spotmatic IIs that are perfect. My son learned photography using one of them in high school ( he has a K100D now). Amazing how these great old cameras just keep going and going.
12-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote

My mom got a letter from BC-Tel around 1980 saying that she now owned the color, so she didn't have to pay that rent any more

$2.55 per month extra back then was a lot of money. I wonder why she paid it and didn't just insist upon a black phone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mantisman Quote
Wow! Just ran across this thread in the Forum (new member). My first SLR (from college) was a Pentax H3V- 1/500 top SS-no meter. Used an old Sekonic handheld my uncle gave me. I still have it and it works fine but I really have not used it in a long time. I also have 2 Spotmatic IIs that are perfect. My son learned photography using one of them in high school ( he has a K100D now). Amazing how these great old cameras just keep going and going.
Welcome to Pentax Forums Mantisman.
12-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Honeywell had distribution rights to the Asahi Pentax equipment in the USA, as far as I could figure out. They were rebadged, but otherwise identical to the Asahi Pentax labeled versions.

That's my understanding. In Canada the distributor was McQueen sales and the cameras were called Asahi Pentax.

The Pentax flash back in those days was called the Honeywell flash, in the US and in Canada.
12-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobigski Quote
I'm trying to fix my Spotmatic that I bought in Singapore whil on R&R from Vietnam.Have acquired 4 Super Takumar Lenses recently with a Heiland Spotmatic. It works fine.
You may want to try Eric Hendricson (i think) pentaxrepairs.com
He does an outstanding job
12-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote

John
I think the relation did not end but they decided to eliminate the Asahi/Honeywell part of the label somewhen in the 80s
The M-series came with the PENTAX label only, not sure about the K-1000 and KX

Honeywell also had some impressive flash-guns for the time