Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

which water to mix with

All of these chemicals are to be mixed with water, and water is used to wash away the chemicals, but does the type of water matter?

Deionized, Distilled, Tap, Filtered?? Does this have any impact?

08-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most tap water is filled with chemicals and mineral traces. I always used distilled when possible and filtered tap water at a minimum. Otherwise you may see residue on your film or prints. After washing film a quick dunk in photo-flo will also help eliminate water spots and residue.

Mike
08-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back in the day, I'd use ordinary tap water with no problems, though that last photo-flo is nicer with filtered water. This was with Philadelphia PA municipal water.

These days, I have triple-filtered chilled water, tap water that's gone through a two stage filter, and regular tap. I use regular tap for the developer/fix/stop (adding chilled as needed to get the developer to correct temp) and distilled tap only at the end, for the photo-flo.

Unless you've got some major water issues, I don't think it's too critical what you use, as long as in the end you get it off the film when it dries.
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

one of the reasons for using a rince agent (mild soap) is to modify the surface tension so that the dry out residue does not leave spots on the film

08-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most tap water is fine for the rinse. For everything before distilled is best.

Chris
08-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Agreed. I tend to use distilled water, mostly in hopes it'll help the chemistry last longer. Not really necessary in a lot of places, but it's pretty easy to keep a bunch of jugs around: what I actually do is use the photo-water to keep rotating my emergency supply of water for any outages or whatever: I buy new stuff and use what's been sitting around a while for the chemistry. Pretty convenient that way.
08-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Keep in mind as well that the mineral content and concentration in municipal water supplies will vary with the region and the source of the water within that region. If you live in NYC, for example, most of your water actually comes from Upstate.

As for treating your water deionized or distilled will give you the most consistent quality. Just filtering water might not do the trick (depends on the filtration method used). I work in chemistry and use a ton of water. The purest water we use is first deionized with a home-wide system (after some salt is added for softening), put through several ion exchanges, UV irradiated, and finally put through a 20 um filter.

I don't do any developing myself but I would imagine that some places will have water that is more conducive for photo development then others.

08-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use distilled. No problems with minerals and whatnot and since it sits in gallon jugs in the house, it has fewer air bubbles (than freshly poured tap water) and is already at room temperature.
08-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Tap water is generally fine, if you want boil it and let it cool down... that gets rid of the (bi)Carbonates and dissolved oxygen.
Distilled water is best for long time solutions (Xtol, D76) and is excellent for the last 1 or 2 rinses before hanging the negatives
08-27-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Filtering, at least the domestic kind, is largely a placebo. If you need pure, go with distilled.
08-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
Forum Member

I would recommend using distilled for mixing up stock chemicals because I think it makes them last longer. I also recommend using distilled water for the final rinse. Luckily I can have as much ultrapure water from work as I want.
08-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
DAP

For stock solutions I will generally go with distilled water in the hopes that it will keep longer. I usually use tap water to further dilute down to a working solution (I usually toss my working solutions in short order so, for me, distilled would be overkill). Unless you have some funky/hard tap water it shouldn't really be a problem. Even if you do have hard water you can compensate by adding Calgon or EDTA.