Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Add a Darkroom forum?

There are few threads regarding the conventional wet darkroom in Post Processing, Printing, Software, and Darkroom.
Recent threads here regarding darkroom chemicals make me wonder if we should ask for a separate Darkroom forum.

Do you develop your own film and/or prints, and/or are you interested in learning about the process?
Those that answer yes, can we generate enough discussion to justify the creation of a Darkroom forum?

Chris

08-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From how my photo lab just butchered my last set of BCN/40 rolls, i'm interested in learning about the process.
08-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Darkroom forum

Seeing as I just bought a tank, reels, developer, fixer, stop bath, and other sundry items, I think that's a great idea.
08-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's a good idea. Film related stuff just gets buried under the computer talk on the other board, anyway. Of course, I didn't mind talking about darkroom things here, ...it seems logical enough.

08-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Basically a chemical forum.
08-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I understand the desire. It seems there are more people motivated to learn about wet darkroom these days... including me, because I recently put in a darkroom and started processing B&W film.

But I don't mind having those wet process discussions here in the Film SLR forum.

When I want to brave the deep end of the pool, I will also head out into APUG.ORG.
08-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I dismantled my darkroom a few years back and am now starting to shoot film again, with the intention of using a hybrid workflow (develop, scan, print digitally). Am in the process of looking for a local lab (found one two days ago) to develop 35mm (I have a scanner) and develop/scan MF. If I can get what I want from them, I'll go that route until I shoot enough to look at the economics of getting another scanner and/or doing my own developing. While I don't want to "get wet" again, I think a darkroom forum would be a good idea; you never can have too much helpful info. Maybe a scanning subset should also be considered here vs. in post processing.

08-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I may be wrong but I don't envisage there being a huge amount of individual threads on the dark room subject.
How about this as a compromise? Post your darkroom threads in this forum. When you have a few threads going, start a thread that will contain links to all the useful dark room threads and let me know and I'll sticky it. Either the OP can be responsible for keeping the thread starter updated or I can close it and people can PM me when they want something added.
That might work out better than a separate forum, you'll have one 'go to' thread to refer to for all the juicy bits.
If that works out, maybe we could consider doing it for other stuff. I'm actually planning
on doing one for individual Lens threads.
08-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what about a subforum in the post processing forum, for darkroom specifically since it really would be similar to the samsung DSLR sub forum.

after all there are 38 threads in that sub forum, yet almost 7000 in the pentax DSLR main forum.

the idea owould be to make sure the minotiry does not get lost.
08-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

no

more

sub

forums

there are more than enough sections on this site as it is.. one could get seriously lost!

then again, thats just my opinion
08-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

To be honest once the MF forum was opened I stoped reading about those beautiful 645 and 67 cameras, and adding another subforum will just add to the confusion

the number of chemical threads is really small compared to camera/lenses so it is not worth it
08-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does discussion of darkroom topics really belong in Pentax Film SLR forum?
Lately it is becoming a catch-all for all things film-related.

Chris
08-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Does discussion of darkroom topics really belong in Pentax Film SLR forum?

Chris
i just refer to this as a "film" forum, the pentax is just an honerary prefix for the sake of continuity.

this forum is not brand sensitve.
08-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
this forum is not brand sensitve.
That's debatable.

Chris
08-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That's debatable.

Chris
let me rephrase, anyone on this forum who is not an idiot, is not overly brand sensitive.