Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I would favour a dedicated darkroom forum. I've fairly recently set up my own darkroom and have had lots of questions but I would always ask in other web forums because I felt that this wasn't quite the right place.

08-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That's debatable.

Chris
Exactly considering some threads on "other" film cameras have been moved by the mods.

Edit: I hate to go on record as agreeing with Gooshin. But, I don't like too many sub-forums either. The "sold" and "wanted" sub-forums in the market place make sense. Too many gets a bit unwieldy.

Edit: Edit: D.B.'s idea may work if there is a "sticky" at the top where the more informational threads could be linked. The stickied thread could be called "Dark Room Links" or something obvious like that.

Last edited by Blue; 08-27-2009 at 05:06 PM.
08-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoops

I hope asking about developer in the Film SLR forum wasn't violating some taboo ... it's just that here is where the film people are. The Post Processing forum is virtually all digital post processing. I honestly hadn't even noticed the word "darkroom" in the title until now.
08-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I thought that's what I said in my post. It's no good having an index thread if you can't find it.

BTW, if anyone else can think of other applications for this idea, let me know via PM.
You did. But, I think it should be stickied as soon as possible with an obvious name so it doesn't sink to the Hades of Threads.

08-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I hope asking about developer in the Film SLR forum wasn't violating some taboo ... it's just that here is where the film people are. The Post Processing forum is virtually all digital post processing. I honestly hadn't even noticed the word "darkroom" in the title until now.
This is the most logical place at the moment imho. The other forum, Post Processing, Printing, Software, and Darkroom, is dominated by digital or the scanning of slides and negatives for the most part.
08-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although I like the idea of a "darkroom" forum, I don't know that there are enough regular film users here to justify it. Does anyone know how many members develope their own film? My guess is less then 15.

I think that film and developing related topics belong in the film section. I would include all wet process techniques here in the film camera section. I would also include scanning and scanners in the film section.

I see the post process forum as being primarily the area to talk about digital techniques.

So, my view:

Until the image is digital, the discusions belong in the film camera section.

Once the image is digital, then discussion belongs in the PP section.

Just my two bits.
08-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
let me rephrase, anyone on this forum who is not an idiot, is not overly brand sensitive.
Even this forum is Pentax specific. I would expect that if I asked a question about my GSN, the thread would get moved to general discusion.

But the fanboy idiot factor is far less in the film forum, then say the rumors section. Actually, there is almost no fanboyism here.

-------------

My f100 rocks your MZ-S

Last edited by KungPOW; 08-27-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added some fanboyism
08-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Even this forum is Pentax specific. I would expect that if I asked a question about my GSN, the thread would get moved to general discusion.

But the fanboy idiot factor is far less in the film forum, then say the rumors section. Actually, there is almost no fanboyism here.

-------------

My f100 rocks your MZ-S

I think that thread moving is something that the various mods do. There are a dis-proportionately few mods that are into film. The ones that are don't use film that much. I think that results in a misunderstanding.
08-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
no

more

sub

forums

there are more than enough sections on this site as it is.. one could get seriously lost!

then again, thats just my opinion
I know I do. I keep forgetting if that thread on Lens X not working on Camera Y is in the Lens forum or (one of) the Camera forum(s).

It doesn't help that the mods tend to move it around when- and where'er they please - even if the above scenario the original poster was unsure if it was the lens that wasn't working or the camera.

I think a good forum should be like a good DSLR menu - shouldn't require too much digging.

I don't think too much segregation's good, because you tend to just go precisely where you need to, and might miss out on some fun stuff you weren't looking for.
08-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #25
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

I think a good forum should be like a good DSLR menu - shouldn't require too much digging.
Start one then.
08-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I find too many sub sections leads to a lot of pigeonholing and missed info. I like the everything film thing we have here in the SLR section, that's a good thing. A separate darkroom section I'm afraid would have tumbleweeds and cobwebs fairly soon. I mean, most of us can understand LBA and CBA, some of us even like to take photos... but how many are into Developer Buying Addiction and Enlarger Lens Collecting? Or have room and need for >1 enlarger? (Actually, I know at least 2 such...)

It's like with groups dedicated to the Yashica GSN - wonderful camera, excellent lens... but there's only so much you can say about it, and once you've said it... hmm... erm... Hey did you try the Russian tilt lens on your Pentax yet
08-28-2009, 03:45 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Start one then.
What, like you started this one?
08-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
IMO visitors to Pentax Film SLR Discussion shouldn't have to wade through all these OT threads.
How would you feel about a Miscellaneous Film Topics or Film General Discussion forum?
Similar to Everything Else but exclusively for film camera and film-related topics,
it could encompass film, processing, non-Pentax and non-SLR cameras, etc.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-28-2009 at 10:54 AM.
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO visitors to Pentax SLR Discussion shouldn't have to wade through all these OT threads.
How would you feel about a Miscellaneous Film Topics or Film General Discussion forum?
Similar to Everything Else but exclusively for film camera and film-related topics,
it could encompass film, processing, non-Pentax and non-SLR cameras, etc.

Chris
you're micromanaging and stressing over something that is not a real issue, atleast not in my eyes, and i'm a "forum" veteran, and believe me things are micromanaged on this forum already!

if anyone is "wading through" threads, well, i guess they are just not used to the internet.

the way i keep track of my threads, is i go into the search function, type in my name, and hit "view all posts", then just click on which one had new replies done.. that way i dont have to "subscribe" to anything...

also, using the search function also takes some knowledge, alot of times people cant find things because they are simply not using the right triggers, sometimes the best way to find something is not intuitive at all.
08-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
That is why I rarely venture out of the film related threads - everyone in the film camera section is nice, relaxed, and adult like for the most part. Very little name calling, no big ego issues, plus there aren't really trolling issues - maybe the audience isn't big enough for the wave makers.