Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Who Process/Scan/Prints Your Film?
PROCESS: By myself 2345.10%
PROCESS: By chain store lab 1631.37%
PROCESS: By pro lab 2345.10%
SCAN: By myself 3364.71%
SCAN: By someone else 1427.45%
SCAN: Don't scan at all 59.80%
PRINT: By myself (analog) 1631.37%
PRINT: By myself (digital) 1631.37%
PRINT: By someone else 2141.18%
PRINT: Don't print at all 713.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Who Process/Scan/Prints Your Film?

With this new surge of interest for a darkroom forum, let's see who really is getting processing their own film. Check ALL that USUALLY apply

08-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bit of all of the above really
I process and print my own BW
Color I left to be processed/printed at a chain store

scanning, I scan only the prints I like, and sometimes I ask a CD when I know there will be a need to email the pictures
08-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I shoot 90% slide (colour and B&W) film, so home processing is out for me. When I do shoot
negative film it's usually for testing purposes, so I just let a local lab do it.

I rarely do scans or prints, if I do I also take my slides to a local lab.

Phil.
08-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have been processing all of my B&W, I recently picked up several hundred feet of various Ektachrome E-6 slide film and took the first test rolls to the lab - if the film is actually good (haven't picked them up yet) I may try and figure out how to develop that too.

I have all the stuff to do "analog" prints with for B&W but I think I want to take a darkroom class first to eliminate some of the trial and error.

08-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I pretty much do all my own stuff. Didn't check photo labs, though I would use those for color if I really did color film on any sort of routine basis (Digital does that.)

Certain things being hung-up aside, I'm doing things myself. (completing an output chain would be nice: I really should send out some image files for printing. (Maybe next month: should be some budget left over from getting this slide copying setup from Geauxpez running for negative copying. )

We're kind of in the market for a little all-in-one printer-scanner dealie for my sweetie's occasional document use, so we might make it one of those new little Kodaks just for fun and mailing people the inevitable social snaps.
08-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rustyoldbug Quote

I have all the stuff to do "analog" prints with for B&W but I think I want to take a darkroom class first to eliminate some of the trial and error.
Experience can be a bit costly in terms of paper, but much of the process is pretty straightforward if your negs are consistent. If you can't take a class or join a club with darkroom space, consider making a friend who does it. (Printing was never my favorite end of the process: I'd probably take that in if I could afford it or trust my negs to the mails. (There are also factors of it just being easier to do it right yourself. If I have to send for bigger enlargements, it'll be nice to be able to make guide proofs and say, 'Make like this.' ) Anyhow, the fact is, it can be more fun with company, and you can learn a lot that way.)
08-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter

One Art School I went to near where I live had a dry Kreonite printer. That was prefect as you go from the enlarger with your paper right to the printer, no chemicals involved. A couple minutes later your print was ready. You can really pump out the 8x10 prints using that beast! The school also has a colour one that I never had a chance to use.

There are probably lots of used ones for sale that you can get, perfect for the garage!

Phil.
08-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter

To date I have used a pro lab for developing, but I have supplies on the way to start developing my own B&W. I'll keep using the pro lab for E-6 film and the odd C-41 roll.

08-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Wet printing in the darkroom is my favorite part of the photographic process.

Chris
08-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

process by pro lab (returned in sleeving) so I know the film is handled properly.

I scan my own 135; for 120/220 I let the lab do the inital scan and do my own re-scans when necessary

printing gets sent out

for unimportant photos I use a digital camera
08-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
To date I have used a pro lab for developing, but I have supplies on the way to start developing my own B&W. I'll keep using the pro lab for E-6 film and the odd C-41 roll.
I've been wondering if SBI is still around back home. That where you go, Buffy?
09-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
only 38 people voted so far, i hope that's not the number of regulars on the film forum
09-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I develope my own BW film, and do the scans myself.

I don't have the space to set up a wet process darkroom.
09-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Boston Labs

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I've been wondering if SBI is still around back home. That where you go, Buffy?
I think SBI is gone, or merged with Hunt's Photo/Video, I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, I use Dorian Color out in Arlington (|| DORIAN COLOR ||). Dorian treats everyone like a pro, no matter whether you have a Phase One or a disposable P&S. I love that about them.

I also sometimes use Colortek (www.colortek.org); they are also very friendly people and very competitive price-wise, especially on 220 rolls, and they are conveniently located next to South Station.
09-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
must say i'm pretty surprised at the results
i. almost half of people develop their own film
ii. more than half scan by themselves
iii. by the number of people making prints, i thought it wasn't popular anymore
iv. only 44 votes now, seems pretty low