Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StanW Quote
I'm still using an Asahi Pentax K which I bought in the early 50's. With an Auto_Takumar 85mm 1.8, it's a wonderful machine. Any ideas as to the value?
Depending on condition, $150-450 USD. If you have the original paperwork and box, that may improve the price.

03-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #17

I just got a Pentax K not the 1000 just K is it worth any value and should i jeep it or sell it?
03-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by firsttime Quote
I just got a Pentax K not the 1000 just K is it worth any value and should i jeep it or sell it?
Sell it. Someone who appreciates it will buy it.
03-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

This needs to be sticky...

Would have saved me a lot of money and effort over the last year or so :-) Perfect summary Monochrome!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Spotmatics are very common and prices run all over. Since there are various models with feature additions and deletions it is best to spend some time at AOHC and learn them. Black are more expensive than chrome, except ES/ESII.

K1000 prices are ridiculous - K2, KX and KM are better cameras with more features, rarer and all made in japan. I have never understood.

Rarest and most valuable K bodies; all assuming recent CLA

Ballparks from recent observations:

K2DMD - $400 if you can find it at all
KM Motor - ??? You'll never find one
K2 Black - $200
K2 - $150
KX Black (at least 1.5x chrome) $150+ - lately experiencing a resurgence
KX -$75
KM - $50 - $150 because nobody really knows what it is - what the K1000 should be.

M bodies:

MX Black - $200
MX Chrome - $100+

LX - $300 PLUS a $200 CLA ($389 already done). Variations include the later models - add 25%; accessories such as lugs, finders, winder or motor drive. LX was a system camera and the combination of accessories offered in sales makes giving you a value tough.

MZ-S $400 - $800, depending on condition and grip, boxes, etc.

Browse around on ebay for a couple hours Monday evenings for a few weeks. Except the K2's you'll get a good idea

03-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Hmmm. This thread got me thinking. I wonder what the value of my black Spotmatic F would be? I never see that model around, so would it be rare? Or is it just the same as any other F?
I've seen them for as low as $30. It's not rare. It took me a while to get a functioning SPII in black though and even then I had to settle for one marked Honeywell as the Asahi ones are harder to come by for some reason. Really it depends a lot upon condition. A black Spottie of any kind in excellent shape cleaned can go for as much as $200 but it has to be near mint and maintained to get anything near that. Most of them are not. The F is a bit tricky price-wise too because of the battery situation being odd. They tend to eat batteries, Spottie F's. As black models go it seems to be less desirable than some others. I have one that's in pretty poor shape that I actually want to get fixed someday but it's not a priority, not like my black SPII. Chrome Spotties can run $30-150, again depends a lot upon the condition.

My black KX's could take $100 a pop easily, maybe a bit more if I got Eric to CLA them. As for K1000's people are asking as much as $200 for them but they're not getting anything near that. I've seen them going for $50 or less. They're pretty easy to get very cheaply. The prices you see on this board for well maintained bodies are not the norm. I've looked on Ebay, CL, at the thrifts. Black bodies are always more sought after but you can still pick up a lot of the regular ones for a song. There are certain bodies that are collectibles, but more that are not seen that way no matter how old they are. K1000's, ME's they're still easily had for under $50 all the time. The value it goes up a lot when Eric or someone skilled gets a crack at it. But your average body, not spiffed up, in good working order, not nearly as valuable.

Last edited by magkelly; 03-04-2014 at 09:33 AM.
03-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Has anyone seen a black original Pentax for sale? I'm guessing they would go for insane money. Reportedly rarest Pentax ever made.
by rarest do you mean the Pentax K in black or a different model?
03-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by firsttime Quote
by rarest do you mean the Pentax K in black or a different model?
The original Asahi Pentax was the first, followed by the S then the K. You can read about it at -> Pentax Original
There is also a picture of the rare black version there.

BTW, do you have a picture of your K to share?

Last edited by LesDMess; 03-05-2014 at 09:12 PM.
03-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The original Asahi Pentax was the first, followed by the S then the K. You can read about it at -> Pentax Original

Yes i do

---------- Post added 03-05-14 at 09:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

Yes i do

Last edited by firsttime; 03-08-2014 at 01:49 AM.
03-06-2014, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Has anyone seen a black original Pentax for sale? I'm guessing they would go for insane money. Reportedly rarest Pentax ever made.
This Black 'AP' sold for $1450 a little over a year ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/227384-two-q...ml#post2412854

I think a Black 'S' might be rarer that a Black 'AP' ?
This one sold for $1140 recently (6/26/2014):

Last edited by Moe49; 07-24-2014 at 03:38 PM.
03-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #25
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Would have saved me a lot of money and effort over the last year or so :-) Perfect summary Monochrome!
Thank you - but the prices have all changed dramatically since 2009. At this time I beleive there are THREE MZ-S FS in the Marketplace <$400. I listed a pristine, CLA'ed SUPERProgram for $50 shipped and it took a month to get an, "OK, I guess I'll bite'" response. EX+ K2DMD and K w/ AT55/1.8 Zebra and some collateral parts sold recently were both hard sells.

Film cameras generally are very slow now.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-06-2014 at 12:55 PM.
03-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

ha! this is me right now: I listed a pristine, CLA'ed SUPERProgram for $50 shipped and it took a month to get an, "OK, I guess I'll bite'" response.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/71479-value-...#ixzz2vD64122m

but i have it at $75 i guess it will never sell haha
03-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey

Are you considering to sell that camera? It looks great.

Regards
Baard-Einar

---------- Post added 03-08-2014 at 09:29 PM ----------

Hi

I think the prices are varies all the time. Don't really know what could be the right price. There is, for instance, a CLA'd black K for sale on eBay. It has been there a long time, and if my memory doesn't fail me, the first buy now price was around 1500 usd, now it is down to less than 400! And 400 is low... IMHO.

The K2DMD price also varies a lot, the one I have now wasn't very expensive, it has a bump in the prism. But I bought another one from eBay two weeks ago, that Eric H had out for action. The hammer price was 270USD. Not bad for a pro CLA'ed version of the K2DMD. I have the motordrive as well...

The most valuable m42 versions, In my opion:

Black AP
Black S
Pentar
Silver S
Black K
Asahiflex H2
Chrome K
"store demonstrator" H2
Chrome AP
03-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #29

I think I'm going to keep it and start shooting some pic's, a lot of information here to try it out this camera also I got a rolleiflex SL35 when I got the other one .anybody know about this one?
03-12-2014, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #30

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N900T  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N900T  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N900T  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N900T  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N900T  Photo