Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #1

mz-50 film loading troubles

hi, i'm new to photography, i got given a pentax Mz-50 and i picked up film and batteries for it today, but i went to load the film, and when i closed the back it rolled to the first frame automatically like it's supposed to but then rewound the film straight away. i tried another roll and it did the same thing, and i can't find anything in the manual about it doing that. any ideas of how to fix that? cheers, -matt.

08-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice of someone to give you a camera, but maybe it would have been nicer if they had also mentioned it had a problem. Now their gift has cost you two batteries and two rolls of film.

No, there won't be anything in the manual about that. It isn't the way the camera needs to work; it needs repair.
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cfb_rolley Quote
hi, i'm new to photography, i got given a pentax Mz-50 and i picked up film and batteries for it today, but i went to load the film, and when i closed the back it rolled to the first frame automatically like it's supposed to but then rewound the film straight away. i tried another roll and it did the same thing, and i can't find anything in the manual about it doing that. any ideas of how to fix that? cheers, -matt.

I have an MZ50 from new (circa 1999?): it functions perfectly, so far.

I also have another MZ50 (bought from a "Goodwill" store for $5-00): this one functions erratically. Everything works perfecltly for about 4 or 5 frames, then it goes "crazy" and skips frames, goes to the end of the roll -by itself- and then rewinds. Like yours, it has something wrong with the electronics.

In their way, they are quite "nice", easy to use (if working) cameras, but not worth repairing: either get another (second-hand), or something else entirely.

Last edited by Banjo; 08-31-2009 at 06:59 PM.
09-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Had the same issue ... I read up a little ... and the MZ50 is literally made of plastic internally .... and things break over time.

There's cogs in there that snap apparently ... and it's literally not usable.

It is a nice though to be given a camera to try for your first delve into film though.