Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Uh Oh! My lens is stuck!!

My Super Takumar 1:4/300 lens will not come loose from my Pentax MX body. It will spin but will not come loose. Any ideas?

08-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh dear.
Sorry to hear this.
It's an M42 screwmount lens I take it?
So it unscrews OK right until the end?
Do you have it fitted to your camera with a K-mount to M42 screwmount adapter?
Have you gently jiggled it just before it gets jammed to try and dislodge the lens from the thread?
Hope you've worked it out by now - let us know how you go.
08-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kathryn30223 Quote
My Super Takumar 1:4/300 lens will not come loose from my Pentax MX body. It will spin but will not come loose. Any ideas?
The lens is an M42 (screw-mount) and the MX is a K (bayonet) mount so there has to be an adapter between them. Sounds like the adapter has issues. A pic would be helpful to diagnose the problem.
08-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kathryn30223 Quote
The Takumar 300/4 is a screw mount lens. You need to turn it several round before it'd come off from the adapter. Just keep turning and you'd be surprised

Good luck.

08-31-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
Banned

im a bit confused here... you have a screw mount lens stuck on your MX? were you the person who screwed the lens onto the body? or did you buy it this way? im confused because its hard to imagine that a lens that screws in (and im assuming you screwed it in) wont unscrew.or that you don't know that it unscrews... as suggested already, taking photos to show us would be very helpful. however, just for FYI any lens labeled m42, this includes all Takumars except those labeled Takumar (Bayonet) are a different mount than your MX (your body is K (bayonet) mount) and requires an adapter to mount the lens in question. it IS a Pentax lens, but it is a lens that pre-dates the MX and the type of mount it has.
08-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If I understand the problem, I've had the same thing happen when I used one of the inexpensive non-Pentax adaptor rings. The spring tab relaxes with age and use and eventually allows the adaptor to spin past the stop. All of this is based on turning the lens counter-clockwise when looking at it from the front and the lens doesn't move away from the camera mount with each turn. My solution was a two-parter:

Step one: pull gently on the lens while turning it to catch the adaptor ring against the camera mount and let friction hold it in place.

Step two: purchase the Pentax adaptor ring.
08-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'll wager that this involves a non-Pentax brand M42 adapter.

Chris
If it doesn't involve an adapter, I'm waiting to see someone simulate the problem by cramming an m42 lens into a k-mount body.

On a serious note Kathryn, did you use an adapter?
08-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
...I'm waiting to see someone simulate the problem by cramming an m42 lens into a k-mount body.
Isn't the diameter of the M42 mount shorter than that of the K mount? How else does an M42/K mount adapter fit both ends?

09-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Correct M42 is smaller than K.
Now the only BAD thing is that Katherine bought the lens with a glued-on adapter and the adapter went to hell.
09-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Correct M42 is smaller than K.
Now the only BAD thing is that Katherine bought the lens with a glued-on adapter and the adapter went to hell.

is that what happened? man I read and reread her post like a dozen times, and I just could not wrap my mind around how someone could get a screw mount lens stuck. just unscrew it..... but it never dawned on me that the adapter would be glued to the lens. no wonder she was confused, thinking this was Kmount lens.
09-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That is my assumption if the lens does not screw-off easily
Otherwise she must screw-it-out and use the standard method described in the manual to take the adapter out
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
is that what happened? man I read and reread her post like a dozen times, and I just could not wrap my mind around how someone could get a screw mount lens stuck. just unscrew it..... but it never dawned on me that the adapter would be glued to the lens. no wonder she was confused, thinking this was Kmount lens.
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
That is my assumption if the lens does not screw-off easily
Otherwise she must screw-it-out and use the standard method described in the manual to take the adapter out
But if it's just that the adapater is stuck in the k-mount, why would the lens be spinning (unless it was glued and broke loose. Then assuming the lens is spinning shouldn't it still come out of the adapter? The anticipation is killing me here.
09-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockradio Quote
But if it's just that the adapater is stuck in the k-mount, why would the lens be spinning (unless it was glued and broke loose. Then assuming the lens is spinning shouldn't it still come out of the adapter? The anticipation is killing me here.
Fe Fi Fum Foll - do I smell the scent of a ... of a ... Troll?
09-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe, Maybe not. No replies here, despite suggestions, but here's a question asked yesterday on a Feb., 2007 M42 lens on K-Mount thread I thought my Super takumar 1:4/300 was the same mount as my MX body, but apparently I was wrong. I can't get it off. Does anyone have suggestions for removing it?
09-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Considering only 2 posts, joining 2 days ago and very cryptic responses, you are probably correct.

Troll