Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stolen Camera: Pentax S2

Stolen by yours truly!

I was the only bidder on a Pentax S2 with Auto-Takumar 55/2 attached. Both off a fresh CLA and the lens freshly cleaned.

Price? About twenty-five bucks!!!! Catch me, Mother; I'm going to faint!

08-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

what's so great about these old bodies?
08-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Nice pickup Mike, enjoy!!
08-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice find, better deal than my beaten up MX

08-31-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow -- nice snag.
08-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
Banned

I just recently purchased that very same lens. (no S2 attached im afraid) its a true gem for sure. FYI this is one of the 46mm lenses so if you have a hood for other normal focal length Takumars (do you use hoods mike?) you are a bit out of luck. I also got the matching two piece 46mm hood and I have to say, its really nice. looks good on the k-m and istD. but I bet it would look a little goofy on the K20.

is this from the same wonderful guy I bought my SV from?
08-31-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I just recently purchased that very same lens. (no S2 attached im afraid) its a true gem for sure. FYI this is one of the 46mm lenses so if you have a hood for other normal focal length Takumars (do you use hoods mike?) you are a bit out of luck. I also got the matching two piece 46mm hood and I have to say, its really nice. looks good on the k-m and istD. but I bet it would look a little goofy on the K20.
Thanks for the heads up. By happy coincidence I do have an old Takumar front cap in 46mm size that I bought at auction. It was listed as a 49mm cap. The seller offered to take it back but I said I would just hold onto it.

QuoteQuote:
is this from the same wonderful guy I bought my SV from?
Can you think of somebody else who would CLA a set like that and turn it loose for twenty-five bucks? <smiley goes here>

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
This says it all
08-31-2009, 03:38 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Can you think of somebody else who would CLA a set like that and turn it loose for twenty-five bucks? <smiley goes here>

I figured, the price should have been a dead giveaway. really nice body. you looking to collect all the pre-spotmatic bodies?

08-31-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I figured, the price should have been a dead giveaway. really nice body. you looking to collect all the pre-spotmatic bodies?
I'm not really looking to collect them, but if they all eventually made their way into my hands the only weeping I would do would be from joy.

The main reason I bid on this S2 was that I wanted to get back in contact with him and see if I can get him to fix the aperture ring on my 85/1.9 and maybe fix the filter ring on my 28/3.5. I know he would do quality work and not charge me an arm and a leg for doing it. Of course, I am also tickled to be getting the S2 and the Auto-Tak while I'm at it.
08-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you handled a K or S2 (H2)? Until you have handled a properly functioning AP, K, S2 (H2) this can't be fully understood. These are the SLRs that knocked Leica and Contax RF off of their 35mm Throne. The film advance is silky smooth and the shutter . . . well someone needs to post shutter sounds from these things.
08-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Have you handled a K or S2 (H2)? Until you have handled a properly functioning AP, K, S2 (H2) this can't be fully understood. These are the SLRs that knocked Leica and Contax RF off of their 35mm Throne. The film advance is silky smooth and the shutter . . . well someone needs to post shutter sounds from these things.
i have an MX how does that compare
08-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I can't say how the MX compares, but I do know that my KX feels and sounds like a clunker compared to the SV (Sightseeing Screwmount) that I had the pleasure of using this summer.

Steve
09-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't say how the MX compares, but I do know that my KX feels and sounds like a clunker compared to the SV (Sightseeing Screwmount) that I had the pleasure of using this summer.

Steve
If I ever have to start giving up cameras, God forbid, that SV will probably be the last one remaining in my hands.

Asking what is appealing about them is akin to asking why people still watch classic movies or collect classic cars.
09-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
Banned

it doesn't. I have an SV as well as an MX. and although the MX gets used more, for practical reasons related to my shooting style and subjects the SV is in a league well above the MX. I imagine the older versions such as mikes S2 or even older such as the 'K' or the original 'AP' are even better.

QuoteQuote:
If I ever have to start giving up cameras, God forbid, that SV will probably be the last one remaining in my hands.

Asking what is appealing about them is akin to asking why people still watch classic movies or collect classic cars.
or classic mechanical wrist watches. indeed, out of my current collection, the SV would be the very last camera to leave my hands.
09-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Steave, Mike and Seamuis have pretty much summed it up. You probably think of your MX as a compact K-mount with great lines. However, it is still big compared to the pre-spotties. Remember, those bodies were being marketed head to head with the RF 35mm bodies. It wasn't into the 60s that SLR was the body to beat out which is why the Spot F and ES II ended up bigger. The M series and A series bodies were a reversal in camera size.