Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

ZX-M metering issue

Anybody know of anything to correct it?

Story

I had been using a Pentax ZX-50 for my film dutys but needed a Camera without a crippled K mount or with depth of field preview so that I could use older non A lenses on it. Well I found both in the ZX-M and orderd one from amazon, well putting my first roll of film through it and Im noticing that it doesnt seem to be metering right. 400 speed film and today I finaly just said somthing is wrong here, pointed it twords a sunny sky, and even with a 2" shutter speed it read as so under exposed that It still wouldnt come off the bottom end of the meter

Anybody know of somthing I should try cleaning before I throw it in the garbage? I put the camera on 6400 ISO and it was still reading wrong when compared to my K20 with the same lens attached. Im so sad, I really like the layout of this camera. I have two rolls of Kodachrome I want to shoot but dont want to put them in my K1000 for fear of camera failure as its old and abused and I really dont want to put it in my ZX-50 as I cant use my older lenses like my Takumar SMC 400mm M42 lens

09-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Double check the battery. And take a pencil eraser and rub the battery contacts. This will polish them up a bit.
09-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Im using the Pentax battery grip for the camera. I'll see what throwing a new set of batterys in it does.
09-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I tried to clean the contacts up, new set of batterys in the grip, then a new set of CRV2 batts without the grip. meter still fubar I really liked the feel of that camera better than the ZX-50 too

Anybody else have any idea's before I give up on it?

09-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Get your money back from amazon if you can? Seriously, don't wait on it. You may not have paid very much for a ZX-M, but it's the principle of the matter that you expected to get a working camera.

Also, try pointing the camera at a bright light source with the lens off, and manually move the aperature coupler up and down to see if the meter changes.
09-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I paid $40 for it with a 50mm F2.0 and a nice pentax camera bag. I figure what I paid for it is worth the lens and the bag. Sell the camera as parts and call it a scratch. I just liked the DOF preview and abilty to use my 400mm prime, and the 500mm I have on the way. Oh well. I wanted it to shoot my kodachrome with but I think Im just going to use my K1000. I have no reason not to other than I was worried it may fail with a roll in it. But I've run several rolls through it with no complaints yet. Still I may replace the light seal's before I throw any of the good film in it.