Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with Super Program/Program A and TTL Flash

G'day group.

I recently pulled my Pentax Super Program out of its bag for some more use. I've been using it primarily outdoors, but would like to start doing some more indoor work.

That said, I know that the Super Program supports TTL flash. I am currently using a 40 MZ-2 flashgun with the SCA-302 adapter, which is the correct model for this Pentax camera/Metz flash combination. However, I haven't been able to obtain proper exposure. The settings I've played with are:
  • Flash TTL, Camera "Auto", Lens Manual
  • Flash TTL, Camera "Manual", Lens Manual
  • Flash TTL, Camera "125 X", Lens Manual

I only have SMC-M lenses to play with, so I can't test with the "A" setting on the lens.

When I take a picture, the red "Ok" light shows on the flashgun. However, the flash ready indicator in the viewfinder (the lightning bolt) doesn't flash, it remains solid the whole time. According to the Pentax Super Program manual, it should blink.

Now, I have no Pentax flash to benchmark with, so I'm not sure if it is my flash, or the connectors. I've tried this on two Super Program bodies, and had identical results; so I'm confident that the cameras themselves are okay.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-10d

09-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before you proceed, you will need a ttl flash compatible with Pentax ttl.
09-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
According to Metz, the 40 MZ-2 with SCA-302 is TTL compatible with the Super Program/Program A, LX and 645.
09-04-2009, 03:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You will need an A lens for the program to be able to set aperture in cooperation with the flash.

With an M lens, you have flash sensor auto - so you must set the aperture on the lens yourself. The camera may set shutter speed to flash sync or slower though - that's easy enough to verify in the viewfinder.

In other words, no A lens, no TTL auto mode.

09-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
You will need an A lens for the program to be able to set aperture in cooperation with the flash.

With an M lens, you have flash sensor auto - so you must set the aperture on the lens yourself. The camera may set shutter speed to flash sync or slower though - that's easy enough to verify in the viewfinder.

In other words, no A lens, no TTL auto mode.
I don't see what you are saying. The manual (located here) doesn't say that you require an A lens for TTL flash (Pages 27, 42). You do need an A lens for Programmed Auto Flash, but I'm trying to do TTL Auto Flash.

You're supposed to be able to set the aperture and still get full TTL capabilities.
09-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

TTL works fine with my AF280t + Super A with M lenses. Flash fires more powerfully when I stop down and exposure is good.
09-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Before you proceed, you will need a ttl flash compatible with Pentax ttl.
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
TTL works fine with my AF280t + Super A with M lenses. Flash fires more powerfully when I stop down and exposure is good.
What setting on the body are you using? M, 125X or A? I'm wondering if my SCA302 adapter is malfunctioning; I get the same results on two different Metz units.

09-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When the camera is on Auto, the shutter speed automatically goes to max sync speed and I can play with the aperture. When both are on auto, camera sets both. Works very well. Makes me think your flash doesn't support TTL.
09-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Dimitrov site has information on Pentax flashes:

Pentax Flashes and Flash Accessories
09-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
When the camera is on Auto, the shutter speed automatically goes to max sync speed and I can play with the aperture. When both are on auto, camera sets both. Works very well. Makes me think your flash doesn't support TTL.
According to the manufacturer it does. I've sent an email to tech support at Metz and I'm going to get the SCA adapter tested; hopefully that will fix the problem.