Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Reasons?

Right now I am looking at a Super Program w/ Pentax A 50 F2 being sold for 68 bucks.

I want to buy it, I really do, but I don't know if I would really use it when I have my K200...

But there is something that draws me to it, some reason I crave it, its dulled chrome, holding film in your hands... I never have really used a film SLR, I am still learning how to use my dSLR, but I still want it.

Any reasons I should actually buy this other than my wanting of it. I was thinking it would be a good learning tool, but is it? I think I am looking for things to convince myself to get it.

09-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You should get it and blast a couple of rolls through it. You will know right away if shooting film is for you or not.

If not, sell it to someone else.

Film is neither better nor worse then digital. It is different. If you like what is different, then you might enjoy film. If not, no loss, sell the camera and move on.
09-05-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's not all about the outcome and whether film is better or worse than digital. It is about the difference in the way you approach and experience the shooting.

And the only way you'll know that is to try it.
09-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
And the only way you'll know that is to try it.
This is true.

09-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There are reasons why you might sometimes leave the digital at home - the Programs are petite, the wee grip on them feels just right, making the camera an extension of the hand. You can easily hold the camera ready in your right hand, put it up to your eye and shoot.

Did I mention size yet? And weight. And less worry about weather - while it has electronics, it isn't all electronic and expensive like the digital. Oh, and you can actually see through the view finder, which is both large/bright AND positive about focus.

Buy your film at the drugstore or supermarket - Kodak or store brand or Fuji are all fine. ASA 200, or 400, or 800 - they all work fine. Find a chain drugstore that still has a minilab - I don't get prints, I ask for "CD only" which comes to $4.49 or so per roll. The CD has scans approx 1500pix wide, which is fine for most uses. (Or, find a nice minilab - you may pay a bit more but perhaps get better service. Maybe not. Either way, the people running the developing soon get to know you.)

And, they make fantastic paper weights or conversation pieces, just sitting there, gleaming, nice to look at.

Really, go for it.
09-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like toting around my film camera simply because it weighs less than my K10, and it's smaller too. It's a MZ-M. A really small, and super light camera.

On the upside, if it breaks, and the lens survives, it's cheaper to replace than a K10.
09-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Bought my Super Program in the '80's and it's still clicking away.
Reason, there's just something about advancing the film between shots
that has stuck with me.
09-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #8

Film is different, film is cool and whatever legacy lenses you have for your Super Program will fit on the K200D. If the lens on the Super Program is the Pentax-A 50mm f2, it is a nice little lens that will work well on the K200D (I have a K200D myself). The combination of a Pentax dSLR and a Pentax SLR makes a nice photographic ecosystem, so to speak.

09-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Plus when your with a group of people shooting digital and your shooting film, they all look at you rather strangely and move away. lol Seriously, just this morning I was with a group of 8 people (all shooting digital) at the Clayton County, GA Wetlands Center. I would shoot with my K10D and then swing the S1a around and fire off a couple of frames of Kodachrome (using the sunny f/16 rule of course). Kind of cool shooting with two Pentax cameras separated by 45 years. Of course the Super Program is a bit newer but still quite cool to use!
09-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Everyone has pretty much stated why you should shoot film, and to answer your question, I don't think it will be a fast learning tool (digital is much superior in this regard), but it will be a good one.

I have its older sister ME Super and I'm enjoying it ALOT especially with cheap color films My FA 50 also takes a different new life when used on film (favorite focal length)
09-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Bought my Super Program in the '80's and it's still clicking away.
Reason, there's just something about advancing the film between shots
that has stuck with me.
You need to also try a K2 in public. The sound of that shutter closing/opening is music to my ears and startles all humans & animals in the vicinity.

Phil.
09-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #12

Original Poster
Well.. I bought it. Wish me good luck!
09-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteQuote:
its dulled chrome
satin. its satin chrome my friend. enjoy your camera. its a real workhorse, and you will love using it I am sure.
09-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If your already thinking of shooting film the chances are that you'll like it.
I usually have my olympus Trip 35 in my camera bag, loaded and ready.

I ocasionally get a laugh, grabbing it, along with a couple of flashes... and a radio trigger. While shooting with a friend of mine, whom shoots a Nikon D300.
He'll usually have a crowd gathering around him saying nice camera, whie everyone ignores me.
However when the sky starts getting darker, and I'm firing 4 remote flashes at once people are suddenly amazed at my little pocket shooter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You need to also try a K2 in public. The sound of that shutter closing/opening is music to my ears and startles all humans & animals in the vicinity.

Phil.
The sound of a Pentax shutter, that's one reason why I don't own a Pentax digital at the moment
I just don't like waking the dead when I'm out shooting.
09-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteQuote:
The sound of a Pentax shutter, that's one reason why I don't own a Pentax digital at the moment
I just don't like waking the dead when I'm out shooting.
its unique for better or worse. I enjoy it most of the time. I was shocked though the first time I pressed the shutter on my istD... I can only image how silent it is on the k-7.