Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScotIslander Quote
One point to note with the MZ-50 is that it's a crippled KAF mount so you can't use certain older lenses which don't have a an 'A' setting. I'm sure someone here who is more knowledgeable will expand on this.

Other cameras with this mount are MZ-30/ZX-30, MZ-60/ZX-60, *ist

On your other point about the Z-1P, I've just recently got a Z-1 (PZ-1) and it's the business. The best film camera I've ever had.
Thanks for the confirmation. Will keep an eye out for it on the market.

09-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a PZ-1P currently on the marketplace here. Best of luck.
09-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
There's a PZ-1P currently on the marketplace here. Best of luck.
Thanks KJon. I already bought a MZ50 but still very tempted.
09-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Z-1 and Z-1P are cheap for what you get. But they are big and heavy cams. All in the Z-series are worth buying, as I understand it, but only the Z-1P level is Pro built.
MZ-S is very expensive. But the rest in the MZ series should be reachable. MZ-3 being rare, though.

Regarding battery, if you don’t use it a lot; they generally last a long time.

Auto Focus film cams are cheap knowadays, except legacy models. They are likely cheaper than many Manual Focus cams.

MZ-50 is crippled, so you can’t use your M42 lenses or others, before the A-series.

To get an idea about prices between models; check out KEH, B&H, and Adorama.

Don't know much about the SF-series

09-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
MZ-50 is crippled, so you can’t use your M42 lenses or others, before the A-series.
I would imagine M42 can be used on Mz-50 with a K mount adapter. Is this correct?
09-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anpqnguyen Quote
I would imagine M42 can be used on Mz-50 with a K mount adapter. Is this correct?
The MZ-50 cannot read what aperture the M42 lenses are set to. You have to shoot wide open. Else you should have gotten the MZ-10 instead.

There is a reason the MZ-30/50/60 are cheaper than other SLR cams.
The MZ-M can use the M42 lenses with adapter though.
09-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens will mount but there will be no light metering
you can not even use K or M lenses, which are plentyuful
That is why you need a single-digit MZ camera

09-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The lens will mount but there will be no light metering
you can not even use K or M lenses, which are plentyuful
That is why you need a single-digit MZ camera
Damn..... Bad mistake!!! I thought I've done enough research but I was wrong. Anyway, it was only $50, I'm sure i won't lose much reselling it
09-09-2009, 01:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
The MZ-50 cannot read what aperture the M42 lenses are set to. You have to shoot wide open. Else you should have gotten the MZ-10 instead.

There is a reason the MZ-30/50/60 are cheaper than other SLR cams.
The MZ-M can use the M42 lenses with adapter though.
Actually, no k mount camera can read the aperture setting on a M42 lens.

The mz-50 should be able to work just fine with a M42 lens. It is manual aperture k mount lenses where the mz-50 has problems. The mz-60, on the other hand, is a wetched pile of s***, and is to be avoided at all costs. I still cannot believe that they made a camera that will not even try to fire without aperture contacts on the lens. JUNK! The mz/zx-60 is in my opinion the biggest steaming pile of a camera Pentax ever made.
09-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Keep it, and use it with AF lenses.... a back up body is always welcome

Damn..... Bad mistake!!! I thought I've done enough research but I was wrong. Anyway, it was only $50, I'm sure i won't lose much reselling it
09-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Keep it, and use it with AF lenses.... a back up body is always welcome
Not sure what it's like in Australia, but here in the UK the market is saturated with MZ-50's. They are going on Ebay for just a few pounds.

Like titrisol says, keep it as a back up for AF.
09-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScotIslander Quote
Not sure what it's like in Australia, but here in the UK the market is saturated with MZ-50's. They are going on Ebay for just a few pounds.

Like titrisol says, keep it as a back up for AF.
What on earth!!!!!! I thought $50 was cheap.....
Maybe I should consider taking a job in the UK lol
09-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I paid around the equivalent of 50 Australian $ for my MZ-M. That was not particularly cheap.
But it is right what titrisol wrote, it is the light metering that is the problem.

As I recall, I’ve seen the Z1 camera for sale for 80 $ US. But can’t remember exactly, I don’t follow the used market close.

B&H has the MZ-5N for 129 $ US, in good condition. And the ZX-7 with kit lens, for the same price. And I believe they check out that all functions.

Adorama sells the ME for 54 $ US. And the Z-10 for 18-34 US $. That’s 20-40 Australian, and they are Kaf mount, so non-crippled.
09-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I have a *ist, with the same "crippled" mount as the MZ-50, and I think you will be fine, anpqnguyen. It cannot use M or K lenses, but M42 are fine and so are A, F and FA lenses. Between your three Takumars you'll have plenty of shooting opportunities, more if one of your 135mms is M42.

If you decide to switch I can recommend the PZ-70, too. It can use all lenses from K to DA, has AF and built in flash. No DOF preview, but that is really the only feature I miss. Plus they are usually cheap like the MZ-50, maybe a little less common though.

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 09-09-2009 at 08:10 AM.
09-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I have a *ist, with the same "crippled" mount as the MZ-50, and I think you will be fine, anpqnguyen. It cannot use M or K lenses, but M42 are fine and so are A, F and FA lenses. Between your three Takumars you'll have plenty of shooting opportunities, more if one of your 135mms is M42.

If you decide to switch I can recommend the PZ-70, too. It can use all lenses from K to DA, has AF and built in flash. No DOF preview, but that is really the only feature I miss. Plus they are usually cheap like the MZ-50, maybe a little less common though.
Thanks Nick. It's a relief to hear what you said. I'm kind of obsessed about the ZP-1P already for some reason. I haven't tried the MZ50 yet but I'm feeling like the ZP-1P will be in mine next month. Such a bad habit... I know.