Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #31

If you haven't already found it, here's a link to a page which lists the differences between the Z-1 and the Z-1P. You'll find the list at the bottom of the page. But take my word, the Z-1 is an excellent camera in its own right.

Matt's Pentax Page

09-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This guy had two Z-1P's for sale last month. Price was around a 100 U.S. a piece :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/70153-sale-sold-pentax-amp-fla...-more-1-a.html

He might still be interested in selling one of them.
09-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you talking about me?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
[*]PZ series (some here believe the PZ-1/PZ-1P is the best film camera Pentax ever made)[*]
I'm one of the believers but seriously, the PZ-1 is a fine camera and will use every lens you have for your digital SLR (except for HSM lenses), although some may vignette.

in addition, with dual thumb wheels the PZ-1 is very similar in controls to the K10D. So similar in fact, that my only real problem switching back and fourth between them, is I sometimes find myself staring at the back of the PZ-1 waiting for the image I just shot to appear on the LCD. (OOPS!)
09-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #34
Site Supporter

It is hard to go wrong with in of the K-mount bodies from the SuperProgram back to the K2.

One body that gets no respect but only came in black and has a nice smallish size is the MV. I think it got some undeserved bad press and didn't sell well.

09-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I'm one of the believers but seriously, the PZ-1 is a fine camera and will use every lens you have for your digital SLR (except for HSM lenses), although some may vignette.

in addition, with dual thumb wheels the PZ-1 is very similar in controls to the K10D. So similar in fact, that my only real problem switching back and fourth between them, is I sometimes find myself staring at the back of the PZ-1 waiting for the image I just shot to appear on the LCD. (OOPS!)
Hah Hah Yeah I meant you, Lowell. I recall one of my first "opinions" was the MZ-S was the best film camera Pentax ever made, and that you "educated" me
09-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by anpqnguyen Quote
Thanks Nick. It's a relief to hear what you said. I'm kind of obsessed about the ZP-1P already for some reason. I haven't tried the MZ50 yet but I'm feeling like the ZP-1P will be in mine next month. Such a bad habit... I know.
I do a lot of buy + sell. My "keepers" are a ZX-5,a Chinon CP 6 and Mamiya (M42) DSX 1000 + DTL 1000. The common thead is they all spot meter and none needs the costly lithium batteries.

My ZX5 came with the optional battery pack, which lets it use 4 AA's ( Alky or MiMh).The Chinon uses 3 AAA's stock. It's a MF body,does spot,avg and a mix of both. No built in winder or flash but does Multi Exposure. Chinon's use basic K mount. Chinon CP 5S is the same as CP 6 but no DX code read. CP 7 is also nice, no spot meter but has winder.

ZX-5 or 5N will have the retro Shutter Speed Dial.....which I think is a major plus,TTL pop up flash,will happily use all lenses in the K family.
The ZX-5N tends to cost quite a bit more than the 5...and the main difference is the N has DOF preview. The odd thing is the spring that holds up the flash on a ZX5 usually is busted and you need to use a spare finger to hold it up,or micey mouse a basic spring. The PZ 1 or 1 P will cost way more than a ZX 5...and there's no easy to find AA battery option. PZ-1,ZX5 + SF-1 all have built in diopter slider-a plus if you wear glasses.

A negative with the ZX 5 is that the viewfinder info,while detailed,is hard to see on a real sunny day. The viewfinder is where the SF-1 is very impressive. It just seems big and bright. There is a AA battery holder for SF but it's scarce relative to the ZX/MZ unit. The SF-1 is quite a nice camera,and goes rather cheap....prices similar to the middle of the pack gear from later lines. Think of it as like a Super Prog with the winder and flash built in and a few more goodies.

Mostly, I use lenses that are Tamron or YS mount Sigmas. All those work fine with the M42 or PK mounts. My AF lens,a 28-80F....is a "niche" thing...prefer my SP Tamron man focus,and various primes.

Worth note the P3 is a nice and durable "old school" in that it's shutter dial,not buttons. It lacks the TTL flash option of a Super Prog,but has a much better viewfinder. The Super Prog LCD finder is a bit tricky in poor light and with the info at the screen bottom, you'll have trouble seeing it with glasses. If the finder was like an ME-Super or a P3N...it would have been great.

My experience is I had some ME-Supers that have troubles, but every P3 or P3n I've had was 100% working. While it replaced the K1000 as the "student" camera in the lineup, the ZXM or MZ-M is more like a P3N with built in winder and the ZX body style. The P3's uses the button batteries, the ZX's use Lithiums or the add on battery pack F. The Batt Pack adds a bit to the size/weight,otherwise a ZX-M is very light.
09-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Well, I have 9 film bodies, so I cast no stones. The PZ-1p is the main highly-regarded film body I haven't tried, based on the PZ-70 I am sure it is a good one. BUT - the differences in film cameras matter much less than the differences in digital, as others have said. Just a light-tight box, really.

09-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ken Burns uses a K1000

One of the charms of film photography is that it can be done with a much less complicated camera, a simple "light tight box".
IMO the best way to learn is with a mechanical manual exposure camera and manual focus lens.

Chris