Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

Popup flash on PZ-70 won't stay down

My Pz-70 was stored from about '02 until now, and the flash was up in the box. I thought a new battery or attaching a lens would allow the flash to stay down, but no such luck. Does anyone know what holds the popup flash down, a pin or an electromagnet, and what the repair entails?

09-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a latch. Repair would entail taking the camera apart, and seeing what's broken, the hook on the latch, or the catch on the popup flash.

Personally, I would simply glue the popup down, and just use an external flash. The repair wouldn't be worth it.
09-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could just use some tape, though. That way you can still use the flash if you have to.
09-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the latch is external, like it was on my K100D I'd try a drop of lens cleaner on it first. Then move it back, and forth, hoping that the contact cleaner will lubricate it and free it up.

If that doesn't work I'd just use the tape, like Ratmagiclady suggested.

09-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The PZ70 flash mechanism is not hard to open. You dont need to disassemble tho whole camera, just the top three screws.
09-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all, especially Andi Lo

If it rains all weekend in North Texas, I know I'll have time to take a good look at it!
09-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neal_nelson Quote
If it rains all weekend in North Texas, I know I'll have time to take a good look at it!
Hi Neal,

Sorry but I seem to have a bad memory... after looking at it again you do have to take out all those three screws I mentioned and some more to open the top. It's still a pretty easy thing to crack open, just be careful not to break the top plate. Don't forget the screw inside the behind the viewfinder piece and battery compartment as well... (I broke my the screw holder forcing that one open, but it didnt seem to affect anything). After you open the top you should be able to see most of the popup flash mechanism. Good luck! If you need any parts mine has turned into a candidate for trashing recently, I may put it in the marketplace for a song later. (my latch still stays closed)

Cheers.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-11-2009 at 02:25 PM.