Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black Spotmatic

Just how "rare" are they and how much premium should one attach to them? We are not talking virgin cameras here but users that have been in the hands of pro's.

Is it really what ever the market will support or is it condition, condition, condition. Perhaps someone can suggest a rule-of-thumb. What was the difference in price between black and chrome when they were new? One would think it would be cheaper to paint than to chrome.

09-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Black Spotmatics

I don't know what kind of premium they should command today, but IIRC, when I bought my Spotmatic new in 1967 (w/55mm, f/1.8 lens), for $220 USD, the black body was $240 or $250, with that lens.

I was in high school, working as a busboy and dishwasher and I didn't want to wait another few weeks to save the additional $20-30. Besides, I figured that a black camera wouldn't take any better pictures than the silver one.

But, it sure would have looked cool!!
09-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone else could speak to the rarity of the black spotties -- the trick is finding one in good nick. They generally do fetch a bit more than their chrome counterparts, however, if you're careful you can get one pretty reasonably. I got a rather worn black spottie, a few Super Taks and a bellows for $40 at a yard sale. All needed rehab, but it was a steal. The black Spottie that I have now (pristine less a bit of paint loss near the strap lugs) was listed on ebay as needing repair. It didn't. I got it with the 55/1.5 Tak for about $40 including shipping.
09-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Black vs chrome

I haven't watched Spotmatic sales too closely because I sold off my chrome body for a black one back in 1970. However, I have watched ebay sales for Spotmatic F's. The black SPF's seem to go for nearly double the chrome ones. With a lens of some sort, the black bodies go for about $145 while the chrome ones go for about $75. I've only recorded two body only sales of black SPF's at about $175. Why they were so expensive is anyone's guess. Chrome bodies, no lenses, were going for about $50+. My numbers are a few years old as I've got what I was looking for.

Spotmatic II's have a similar price disparity. Black SP2's with lenses were going for about $90 while their chrome brothers were only selling for about $65. Body only was about $45 vs $30. Here with the SP2's I think people were buying lenses more than cameras. The body just came with the lens they wanted.

The few Spotmatics I've recorded prices for came out about the same when comparing black vs chrome: $60 vs. $65. The reason the chrome cameras sold for more was because they mostly had 50mm f/1.4 lenses.

I've sometimes wondered, since all the new cameras seem to be black maybe the chrome would be a nice change. A little nostalgia. So, I have one of each for my SP's and SP2's. But I quite like my black ESII and K2. There is something about that black lacquer and knowing that when it was new most everything else was chrome.

Vern

09-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

As far as various Spotmatic models go, I see about 1 black one for every 10 chrome ones. The exception will be the ES and ES ii which the opposite is true. In fact the chrome ES and ES ii are more rare than black versions of the other spottie models.
09-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

There's on closing soon on eBay here in Germany, perhaps useful to see what it went for: 110432765716.
09-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
As far as various Spotmatic models go, I see about 1 black one for every 10 chrome ones. The exception will be the ES and ES ii which the opposite is true. In fact the chrome ES and ES ii are more rare than black versions of the other spottie models.
a chrome ESII sold on ebay for less than 60 bucks, just last week. the auction closed while I was at work and didn't get a chance to bid.
09-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DonDouglas Quote
There's on closing soon on eBay here in Germany, perhaps useful to see what it went for: 110432765716.
Yeah, and another here with a 50/1.4. I'm watching it just to see what it goes for since I have one nearly identical to it.

As a slight tangent to the OP's question: Does the name "Honeywell" draw less value than "Asahi"?

09-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Yeah, and another here with a 50/1.4. I'm watching it just to see what it goes for since I have one nearly identical to it.

As a slight tangent to the OP's question: Does the name "Honeywell" draw less value than "Asahi"?
in regards to the ESII? or the Spotmatic in general? I would think in general, yes. I tend to completely ignore nearly everything labeled "honeywell". I just prefer to have an Asahi model. for collectors, I think its generally more important to have the Asahi model. for someone buying a spotmatic just to use, particularly if that someone isn't a "pentaxian" in any degree, it would likely not matter.
09-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
in regards to the ESII? or the Spotmatic in general? I would think in general, yes. I tend to completely ignore nearly everything labeled "honeywell". I just prefer to have an Asahi model. for collectors, I think its generally more important to have the Asahi model. for someone buying a spotmatic just to use, particularly if that someone isn't a "pentaxian" in any degree, it would likely not matter.
Well then. You just depreciated my Honeywell SP-F 35%.

And I thought the honeywell was cool
09-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well then. You just depreciated my Honeywell SP-F 35%.

And I thought the honeywell was cool
Honeywell is cool. I would love to get my mits on a SPIIa, (Honeywell only model) a whole slew of Honeywell flashes, and im currently looking to buy a honeywell branded Takumar lens. but for bodies, I would pretty much always choose the Asahi version. thus I ignore the honeywell branded ones. as well as most honeywell branded accessories.
09-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I'm glad my K has Asahi on it. However, my Vietnam Vet of Spot F is a lowly Honeywell.

Edit: Wait a minute . . . what about my H3 that has Heiland on it?

Last edited by Blue; 09-19-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo
09-19-2009, 05:25 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I'm glad my K has Asahi own it. However, my Vietnam Vet of Spot F is a lowly Honeywell.

Edit: Wait a minute . . . what about my H3 that has Heiland on it?
id take a Heiland in a heartbeat, those aren't as common. I know I already stated my position on your "lowly" SP-F.