Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Left hand shutter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone know if Pentax or other brand ever made a body with shutter and/or grip on the left side instead of the right?

09-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Anyone know if Pentax or other brand ever made a body with shutter and/or grip on the left side instead of the right?
6x7 has a removable wooden grip for the left hand.
09-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My fault, I should have said shutter or shutter and grip on the left side. I meant a left handed camera where you can fire the shutter left handed. I have the 67II and the grip, but I still have to fire the shutter with my right hand.

The only thing I could find on the internet was about a prototype left handed Nikon F100 which never went into production, so it doesn't look like any cameras like this were ever made. I have seen a left handed point and shoot, but no other SLR's.

My main problem is that I have tennis elbow in my right elbow, so it would be much easier if I had a body with the shutter and grip on the other side. I think I'm out of luck and will be more likely to go get a cortisone shot than find a left handed SLR.
09-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you really want a left hand release the easiest way to set one up is likely to attach a remote cable to a grip. I'm pretty sure the aftermarket grip on my Dad's Spotmatic is set up so you can screw a cable release to it for left handed operation. I considered cutting custom wood panels for the grip I used with my K1000 so that I could attach a release and fire it left handed too but eventually decided that it wasn't worth the trouble.

On a manual body you would still have to wind with your right hand, but with a winder or a digital body it should be possible to shoot with just the left hand.

09-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I think that might be the only way to go, with a cable release attached somehow to the opposite side, preferably with a auto advance SLR or manual with winder. It would probably be easiest if the release somehow looped around the back, so you could depress it with your thumb. Not being as sensitive as a normal shutter, it would be difficult to keep pressing it with your index finger, as opposed to the thumb.
09-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe old Kenny's left-handed F100 was outed as a hoax awhile ago...
09-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My fault, I should have said shutter or shutter and grip on the left side. I meant a left handed camera where you can fire the shutter left handed. I have the 67II and the grip, but I still have to fire the shutter with my right hand.

The only thing I could find on the internet was about a prototype left handed Nikon F100 which never went into production, so it doesn't look like any cameras like this were ever made. I have seen a left handed point and shoot, but no other SLR's.

My main problem is that I have tennis elbow in my right elbow, so it would be much easier if I had a body with the shutter and grip on the other side. I think I'm out of luck and will be more likely to go get a cortisone shot than find a left handed SLR.
I would prefer to have a grip, with left hand shutter operation; like I tried to demonstrate here :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/68140-left-eye-shooters.html

The MZ-S could likely be easy to use left hand on the grip, but this will be when shooting portrait style. Horizontal, I think there will be little help.

Some of the custom made grips for the DSLR that didn’t have any made for them, could likely be built for left hand operation.
I think I also read of some DIY solution, where a person had made release bottom somewhere else

09-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Left-handed camera

I don't believe I've ever seen or heard of a left-handed Pentax camera, but, IIRC, some Exaktas had the film advance on the left side.
09-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There was a Taiwanese aftermarket grip, made for the K100, which had two shutter bottoms :
OK1000 Pentax Blog: Aftermarket Grips for the K100D
Ownuser Battery Grip Review

This should make it possible to use left hand, as shutter release. I actually would like to try it.
Else the Polish Pentaxian could probably make a custom one for cheap, though not many points for aesthetics.
Handmade grip for K100D | PentaxLife
09-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If it's a 6x7 you have, it's perfectly viable to just tape a cable release to the wooden grip. It's something I tried on for an occasion or two. Works fine, though I did move on from that.

Cortisone's very nice, too, (as is topical Advil type stuff you can get in Europe. )

I was just thinking about this when we heard about a member's motorcycle injury, but what I used to use to get under one of those heavy old things might be of use to you: a Vivitar PPG-1. It happens to provide an extra set of batteries to power a 285, (there's an unpowered version, too, but that seems even rarer) but the best of it i you can set it up left or right and to point in about any direction. (In certain of these directions, it even holds a cable release right there for you, too)

With this, you could set up for the left hand. Also get *under* the weight of a large camera.

Or, I'd consider trading you my Mamiya 645/1000s, who has a perfectly wonderful left handed grip.

(No, it wouldn't be fair to you. But they did make em.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-21-2009 at 09:34 PM.
09-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I don't believe I've ever seen or heard of a left-handed Pentax camera, but, IIRC, some Exaktas had the film advance on the left side.
Some of the vintage Exaktas including the Exakta Varex had the film and shutter release on the left side. The film was fed from right to left as well meaning the cartridge was operated upside down.

The Mamiya ZE-X was released in 1981 and had an optional left handed shutter release. Ron Herron has a picture of one in his collection. http://herron.50megs.com/ZE.htm

Last edited by Blue; 09-22-2009 at 09:07 PM.
09-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

K-9,
The Vivitar PG-1 grip might be something worth looking at. It's designed for Left handed shooters.
If it's what your looking for, and you can't find one locally I just happen to have one here, I haven't used in over a year.
It isn't really for sale, however since I know what it's like trying to enjoy life when your injured there's a chance you may be able to talk me out of it
09-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Actually, you can switch those around any ol' way you like, too, they reverse: if you pop off the blue plug, there's a big screw under there.

Also, btw, there is the PPG-1: this is the powered version of the same, (it can add another set of batteries to a 285HV, ) and it seems to be a bit more common, though it's often found without the cords and cable release. (Which is pretty standard, really, a little shrink tubing or tape on any ol' fashioned one that's long enough will do)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-24-2009 at 09:31 AM.
09-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm a little confused as to what this Vivitar PG-1 and PPG-1 grip is or fits on? Any photos or links as to what it is or does?

Last edited by K-9; 09-25-2009 at 11:22 AM.
09-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm a little confused as to what this Vivitar PG-1 and PPG-1 grip is or fits on? Any photos or links as to what it is or does?

Aha. I'm sorry, I didn't see your post there till now.

(Actually, I confused the PG-1 for the PG-2, (and a PG-2 is the same shape as a PPG-1, just to be confusing. The PPG-1 does special things with a few Vivitar flashes, like the still-popular 285HV. ))

Both will go with just about any *camera,* though it needs a threaded cable release socket on the shutter to hook up to.

A couple of random Ebay listings: this is a PG-2, VIVITAR PG-2 PISTOL GRIP KIT EXCELLENT CONDITION BOXED - eBay (item 310170788481 end time Oct-02-09 11:36:07 PDT)

And this is a PG-1: (These things are as massive as they look, don't ask me why that is. )

RARE VIVITAR PG-1 FLASH PISTOL GRIP & CB-35 & CR-1 LOOK - eBay (item 370262636651 end time Sep-28-09 08:25:17 PDT)

They both can accept either a squarish plate for medium format cameras, or the longer skinnier ones for something more like a 35mm. I'm pretty sure either one would fit your 6x7 just fine, as it has both shapes to it.

It's the PG-2/PPG-1 which I was suggesting can be used to help get your weight under the camera (You could even set it up on the right hand, which is actually a rarer thing to find in a grip, and possibly find that you get the benefit of taking some strain off your troubled elbow, just cause you don't have to hold your arm up so high. It makes winding the film a bit of a juggle, though. )

The simplest way is to get hold of one of those lovely wooden grips that attach on the left-hand side, and tape a cable release to it, focusing and winding with your right.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-27-2009 at 06:51 PM.