Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
im an idiot?

so the last roll of film i shot was tmax100, and i accidentally rewound it back into the roll.... then i did it again....with another roll of tmax

am i doing it wrong? i tought myself how to use the camera, and for some reason i just cant get a feel for when its rewound all the way, or too far. i've gone through a few rolls since i've started shooting film and half of them i accidentally ruined some of the film from not rewinding it all the way, and now im doing it too much it seems.

also, i only shot one of the two rolls, the other one hasnt been yet(yes its been in my camera and yes i rewound it, long, stupid story), can i get that roll processed even though the film has been rewound all the way back into the cannister?

Last edited by schwarzundweiss; 09-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.
09-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Can you cycle the shutter?

Check the bottom to see if the pin is sticking out, and I'm not sure about that model 100%...but my Spot's rewind pin thinger rotates when advancing the film although my ME Super does not.

If the rewind pin is stuck "in," then take the bottom plate off and see what's going on. The pin has a plastic "sleeve" around it and might have gotten stuck on something.

You need one of these Arista Deluxe Film Retriever | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
09-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes indeed - you're supposed to rewind it all the way into the cartridge. The folks at the processing place disassemble the cartridge and remove the film for processing. I can't imagine how hard it would be to rewind it just the right amount to leave a bit sticking out, but not too much, ruining the photos. Just rewind it all the way, and take the roll to the lab for developing.

Last edited by heliphoto; 09-20-2009 at 03:23 PM.
09-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Rewinding all the way is the normal way to do it.

The only people who don't do that are people who do their own processing at home and want to make it a little easier to get the film out.

09-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Rewinding all the way is the normal way to do it.

The only people who don't do that are people who do their own processing at home and want to make it a little easier to get the film out.
When I was doing my own processing I would routinely rewind the film all the way back into the cartridge. That way I knew when the film had already been exposed. To open the cartridge in the dark room I would smack the cartridge down on the table with the long end of the spool downward and pop the back cover off the cartridge. I'd then remove the film from the spool and wind it on to my processing reel or apron depending on which system I was using. All auto rewind 35mm cameras will rewind the film all the way back into the cartridge. No worries.
09-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #6

The way I learned (and thought pretty much everybody else did, too) was to just use a bottle opener on the canister to pop it open in the dark room.
09-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Probably Jim grew up eating canned biscuits. That would account for the propensity to smack things on the table.
09-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by clockradio Quote
The way I learned (and thought pretty much everybody else did, too) was to just use a bottle opener on the canister to pop it open in the dark room.
That's the way I did it also. But I used a church key.

09-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yep -- you're doing fine. If Steve is processing your film -- no problem. That the way I bring mine in.
09-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
That's the way I did it also. But I used a church key.
Another user of the sainted church key. There was a specially manufactured tool for prying open the cartridges but I'm not sure why a person would spend money on one - I assume it's still available. Package stores here in the US used to give bottle/can openers away so long as you didn't mind your opener having a Falstaff or Hamms logo on it.

On the other hand, at one time I was able to rewind my film exactly to the point that left just the leader sticking out of the cartrige, the huge benefit being you could stick the leader into the clip on your tank reel with the room light on. The older I get, the better I was.
09-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
The older I get, the better I was.
Caution: Accomplishments in the rear view mirror may appear larger than they actually were
09-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Another user of the sainted church key. There was a specially manufactured tool for prying open the cartridges but I'm not sure why a person would spend money on one - I assume it's still available. Package stores here in the US used to give bottle/can openers away so long as you didn't mind your opener having a Falstaff or Hamms logo on it.

On the other hand, at one time I was able to rewind my film exactly to the point that left just the leader sticking out of the cartrige, the huge benefit being you could stick the leader into the clip on your tank reel with the room light on. The older I get, the better I was.
Couldn't afford those type gadgets. We were poor.

We were so poor in fact I remember having scraps for Christmas dinner.

I sure do miss that dog.
09-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Probably Jim grew up eating canned biscuits.
Mike, you do mean whomp biscuits? So named because you whomped them on the kitchen counter to open.

Another vote for the church key. Useful for opening the old 16oz cokes and Ektachrome cannisters.

CW
09-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or get an MZ-S - which will auto-rewind to where the leader sticks out. But so much for economizing!
09-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
oh.....so im more of an idiot for trying to wind it back out again.....for 20 minutes straight.....i hope my efforts to get it back out didnt damage the film

but there is a problem, one of the rolls is completely unexposed, i made a mistake and rewound it, so i have a roll to use, but its stuck in the cassette....so do i need one of those tools to get it out?