Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The article seems to me to be more about the process of photography than the results.

A variation on the 'bugatti and fiat both get you there' thought experiment.

Also, a variation on the 'first it was all about kicks and punches, then it wasn't about kicks and punches, and then it was about kicks and punches again' spiritual journey.

And the kernel, to me, is in that overcoming fears and anxieties bit - where the person learns to trust his/her own skill and intuition, rather than the instant feedback provided by automated cameras. Which would include TTL metered, auto focus, auto exposure etc cameras, film or digital. These rapidly become crutches - if you ever tried to spend a day with a meterless camera, perhaps even one where you have to estimate focus on, you'll experience the terror of having to think things out for yourself

09-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
And where exactly did I say anything about 'taking care of the rest in a graphics editor'?
Well, you said run-n-go. And I assume that means you are not getting a second chance to review the picture, adjust EV compensation if the camera did not select the ideal exposure or express your vision of the scene and take it again. So if your highlights ended up in zone 6, for example, and they should be zone 8, you'd try to fix that in a graphics or raw editor, no?

Last edited by tuco; 09-22-2009 at 09:52 AM.
09-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, you said run-n-go. And I assume that means you are not getting a second chance to review the picture, adjust EV compensation if the camera did not select the ideal exposure or express your vision of the scene and take it again. So if your highlights ended up in zone 6, for example, and they should be zone 8, you'd try to fix that in a graphics or raw editor, no?
No, it means that I get the shots I'm looking for and leave. It would be pretty silly take a picture and not even check it before leaving.

I don't take a ton of pictures from every possible angle and contemplate the meaning of life while taking pictures.
09-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It would be pretty silly take a picture and not even check it before leaving.
IMO the LCD screen is as much your enemy as it is your friend.

Chris

09-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it.
09-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #21
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it.
When I shoot with film I do it intentionally because I want NOT to have access to the histogram and instant gratification. Sometimes I don't even want the VF meter.

There are equally as many times that I want to ensure I have a shot and while I could bracket a film camera, the histogram is very helpful.

Of course, this is just a hobby, and not one I even share often with this forum.