Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #1

Pentax Me Super: lost the rewind crank

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was out and about shooting the other day when I noticed the rewind crank for rewinding the film had unscrewed itself off...most likely falling onto the streets.

I tried to rewind the film using pliers on the rewind rod, but this didn't work, and in frustration I opened the back killing my entire film. But I'm over that now! (kind of)

I've been searching to death trying to get a replacement crank - it just screws on right? I don't really want to send it to a repair shop for something I can do myself (which I believe I can?)

I live in New Zealand but will do anything to get my hands on one...or some other method to rewinding without a crank? I can't seem to find any info on parts or repair anywhere.

What’s the situation like for an old camera like this?

Thanks

Last edited by zerotonothing; 09-21-2009 at 08:21 PM.
09-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think most Pentax manual cameras have the same or similar winder knob. If you can find a spoild MX/ME/ME Super/ProgramPlus/SuperProgram or whatever made in those days, just get that knob off and put it on your ME Super. Different cameras' knobs might be different, but they should work on your camera just fine.
09-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
Would nicking the crank off something like this work?

Asahi pentax 35 mm slr mod S1a for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
09-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zerotonothing Quote
Would nicking the crank off something like this work?

Asahi pentax 35 mm slr mod S1a for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
I think it'd work, but I don't have another screw mount camera to test. There are plenty broken ME out there too ...

09-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I think it'd work, but I don't have another screw mount camera to test. There are plenty broken ME out there too ...
Yeah, it's a bit hard to get stuff over here in NZ....but I'll try.

What about rewinding the film in a dark room? By dark room I mean a pitch black room, not a homemade hardout redlight thing.

If it wouldn’t kill the film, I think I could fumble the canister out of the back and rewind it with my hands. But would this work?
09-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's a bit hard to get stuff over here in NZ....but I'll try.

What about rewinding the film in a dark room? By dark room I mean a pitch black room, not a homemade hardout redlight thing.

If it wouldn’t kill the film, I think I could fumble the canister out of the back and rewind it with my hands. But would this work?
I guess you could do that, but make sure it is absolutely dark. Better cover the camera w/ a thick blanket and do it under covered
09-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #7

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-ME-SUPER-REWIND-KNOB-ASSY-MANUFACTURED_W0QQitemZ2...3286.m20.l1116

Until that reaches your door....

How about taking the camera to the hardware store and trying different nuts on the crank threads? I bet you'll find some thing that grabs at the least, a nut for maybe a 3 or 4mm bolt? Even jam it on a bit. Then use a socket driver to rewind your film. Or a small-drive ratchet wrench.

The basic procedure for removing the crank is to put a stick of some sort- screwdriver, usually- inside the claws that grab the film spool, then turn the rewind crank for standard unthreading (counterclockwise looking down). Installing is the reverse- lock the shaft from the inside.

Scroll down to see this in action-
http://www.mypentax.com/PentaxMeSuper.html

Before you do anything else, though, I'd remove the back itself, pushing down on the very small tab on hinge to release the top pin. If you have the back closed and push that rewind shaft down into the body, opening the camera will be a chore. Be careful of the shutter, of course.

Last edited by dandaniel; 09-23-2009 at 12:37 AM.
09-23-2009, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have spare part

I have an old ME with part of the shutter mechanism missing. I keep it for spare parts. The rewind lever is easy to unscrew, and I can send you the rewind lever if you give me your address.
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice dandaniel, that is where I would have gone if LaHo hadn't helped me out. He was nice enough to send me a working crank from his old ME Super. As you can imagine, I'm "super" stoked as upon joining this community I have already been helped so much.

Of course I documented the whole thing. Got 4 rolls of expired film ready to blast. Thanks!

12-27-2011, 05:04 AM   #10

Thanks for your advice dandaniel, that is where I would have gone if LaHo hadn't helped me out. He was nice enough to send me a working crank from his old ME Super. As you can imagine, I'm "super" stoked as upon joining this community I have already been helped so much.

Of course I documented the whole thing. Got 4 rolls of expired film ready to blast. Thanks!

Hey, new to this forum and photography in general. I detached the crank on my Super trying to rewind the film (I ended up losing the film because it broke before it had fully rewound and I couldn't get the rest of the film in, so I just disposed of it... ) and I was wondering how you reattached it. I tried winding it clockwise, but a few turns the other way detached it again.
12-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Open the film door, stick something between the two prongs, then wind the knob in the proper direction to tighten it. Same can be done to loosen.
12-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #12

Thanks a lot!
12-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #13

What about rewinding the film in a dark room? By dark room I mean a pitch black room, not a homemade hardout redlight thing
If in the future and you need to resort to this method of rewinding film, it's possible to do so without damaging the film. I've done it several times as I like to run a roll of 35mm through my Kodak Duaflex 120 camera which you can't rewind the film back into the cartridge. Basically, any room with no windows, like a closet perhaps, will do. Go inside with no lights on, I place a towel on the bottom of the door to prevent light coming in, place camera in a towel of thick cloth or box to help ensure no light escaping through the cracks will hit it, and quickly roll up the film! I've always had good results from this.

But fortunately you have a rewinding crank now!