Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Film advance jammed on KM

The film advance on my Pentax KM is jammed. here is a photo: http://picasaweb.google.com/aeinstein108/Olympus3?authkey=Gv1sRgCOrcsuP4rr-tFw#

Last edited by Kmman; 09-23-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Adding photo.
09-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't see the photo (at work) but a bit more description would help - is the mirror up or down, is the shutter armed or not, or partly open... do you have film in the camera and are you past the last frame so the film's stopping you from advancing ( yup)....
09-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just edited my photo link so it should work now. The film is out of the camera. It locked after I shot about 15 frames of a 36 frame roll. I was able to rewind the film and take it out. The Mirror is in the up position. I can push the shutter release and it seems to move but appears to be stuck about half way. It moves up and down freely but it doesn't really seem to be all the way up. The film advance lever moves out about half an inch and then stops. Thanks

Last edited by Kmman; 09-23-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
09-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Couple quick options...

Smack it into the palm of your other hand (seriously!)
Push on the aperture lever inside the mount

Edit: Let me check out the pic closer

Edit edit: Is there a mechanism that slides to the left of that pic (where the big arm goes to)? That might be sticking, preventing the mechanism from moving out of the way.

I'm assuming there is a little "travel" in the advance lever but it doesn't "click" anymore?

09-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here is a wider shot of the whole mechanism. Picasa Web Albums - Allen - oly4

Yes it doesn't click anymore and there is just a little movement for the film advance lever.

Last edited by Kmman; 09-23-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: More info.
09-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Two more shots from a different angle. It appears that the arm is tuck under the gear. Picasa Web Albums - Allen - Oly5
09-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I had read about the smacking thing before and damn near bruised my hand smacking the you know what out of it. No luck there.

09-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here's what I would try in order:

Push the long silver lever all the way through its stroke
If that doesn't work, try to get the largest black sprocket to move
Push on the aperture lever inside the mount

If those don't work, then I'm not sure. Those steps have always worked in the past.
09-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. but nothing helped. It appears to be totally jammed up and nothing moves. The, what I think is the aperature lever, moves but nothing else.
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If all else fails, send the camera to Eric Hendrickson for a quote - best Pentax Camera tech on Earth - literally - and used by many, many members here to bring their classic cameras and lenses back to life.

www.pentaxs.com Reviewed in the Camera Service and Repair section of the External Links Forum. Usually less than $65 for this repair, plus a complete CLA to factory specs.
09-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The aperture lever is on the left as you look "into" the camera.

Well to be honest, I'd just start poking around carefully with a small screwdriver

OH...one thing I forgot...slide the lever that's directly under the lens mount. It's the one connected by the thin wire and goes "front to rear" in relation to the camera.

If nothing "pops" back into place with some fiddling...the wind mechanism might have been sheared off under the top plate
09-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The lever you mention is stuck up against the arm shon in the picture. Let me tell you this. The take up spool moves freely with my fingers pushing it and it turns easily. Is that normal?
09-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Also if the wind mechanism is sheared off under the top plate is this camera a goner?
09-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on a good repair shop.
09-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kmman Quote
The lever you mention is stuck up against the arm shon in the picture. Let me tell you this. The take up spool moves freely with my fingers pushing it and it turns easily. Is that normal?
That big, black gear rotates, pushing the longest lever...the lever that's underneath the lens mount should move with it. Start pushing and poking around since that should free something up...

When the shutter is cocked, the ME Super's and Spotmatic's take up and alignment spools both rotate, although not easily. When the shutter is not cocked, neither reel should move.

I'm not a pro, so I don't know how freely they should move. All I know is that they do move when the shutter is cocked.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kmman Quote
Also if the wind mechanism is sheared off under the top plate is this camera a goner?
Not necessarily, but it will have to be sent to Eric if it needs replacement.

I'm pretty convinced there's something stuck and not finishing its "cycle" in the winding/firing down below that bottom plate...