Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes Ryan I agree. Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I'll be sending this guy off to Eric to get repaired. Cheers

09-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #17

Wait!

Before you do that, if you look, there's a little lever with a small spring wire going through it (you can see it on this pic bottom center.) Checking it against my working KX (which has the same shutter arrangement), the little lever with the wire should be lower and behind the end of the large L-shaped lever, instead of in front of it as it is here. Try getting it to the correct position before shipping it off to Eric (well, it'd be a good idea to anyway, seeing as he'll make it like new )
09-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Steve but I tried that . It won't budge.
09-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes on these cameras a bit of film gets stuck down in the shutter mechanism, or a bracket bends a bit deep insde the camera. It seems you have tried the easy fixes. If you want to keep the camera my advice is don't force anything, just send it to Eric and you'll have 20 more years of excellent service from your KM.

And there is no risk to you beyond one-way Priority Mail.

09-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I'm going to send it to Eric. I thought about starting to unscrew a bunch of little screws and start pulling out sections on the bottom of the camera just to see if I could see anything. I honestly wouldn't really know what I was doing or what I was looking at so I decided to not let my curiousity get the better of me. I figured that I'd probably make it worse than what it was.

Now if I had lots of cash and could risk trashing it and just go get another one, I would give it a go. Also ANOTHER one is not the same as this one. I've had many good memories with this one and also I know that I could maybe get another one on Ebay for $50 but I wouldn't really know what I had regardless of the description made by the seller. It could be really good but unless he had proof that it had recently had a good CLA by a reputable guy, if it did then it would proably cost over $125, I'd have to get it CLA'd anyway.

Now Eric could look at it and tell me it needs this part and that part etc. etc. and it could be expensive to fix. In that case I'd have to weigh my options and go from there. For now though I think my best bet is to just send it to him and let him tell me what needs to be done. Thanks for all of your help guys. I was hoping it would take a little fix but that's not the case. Afterall it is 34 years old and has never been serviced so it doesn't owe anybody anything. It's been a great camera and if things go well it will be a great camera for another 20 years. Oh camera Gods please let them keep making film that long!
09-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it’s any help I just sent a KM to Eric for a CLA and it will cost $82.00, including return postage to Canada. The KM was in good shape with no issues.

Phil
09-25-2009, 03:51 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you did your homerowkr and checked the service manual?
Pentax Manuals
There is one for the K2 which should be the same camera (mostly)

Also check the resetting camera project at KY Photo

09-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No worries. Your camera is in the best of hands with Eric.
When it returns it will work like new, reliably, for a long time.
The KM is a terrific camera - consider it an improved K1000!

Chris