Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Looking for recommendations for a film camera

Currently have a P30t which is unable to use ISO3200 film.
I only really plan to use a film camera for gigs, so this limits the usefulness of this body.

Looking for a body that can handle ISO3200, has an aperture priority mode, plus exposure compensation and spot metering would be handy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richy

09-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You may want to consider the MZ/ZX-M, KX, Super Program, and Program Plus. If you've got a shop with all those cameras in stock, give them a try. I've got a KX and a MZ-M, and both work very nicely. The MZ has the edge in weight, though, as it's about half that of a KX. You didn't mention if you wanted autofocus, but the PZ-1P would also do very nicely (although, using manual focus on it would be a bit of a challenge).
09-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
You may want to consider the MZ/ZX-M, KX, Super Program, and Program Plus. If you've got a shop with all those cameras in stock, give them a try. I've got a KX and a MZ-M, and both work very nicely. The MZ has the edge in weight, though, as it's about half that of a KX. You didn't mention if you wanted autofocus, but the PZ-1P would also do very nicely (although, using manual focus on it would be a bit of a challenge).
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not worried about auto focus. Liking the split prism focusing on the P30t, so might as well stick with that.

The KX is a beautiful camera, but a bit too basic feature wise for me.

The superProgram and programPlus look nice and seem to fit the bill.
What sort of money do they go for?
From the few I've seen on ebay UK the prices are all over the place.
The cheaper the better, don't like the idea of paying anything over 100£ for a body that won't get a huge amount of use.

I'll keep an eye out for the MZ-M too. Sounds good, although it's a hideous looking yoke!
09-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't knock the simplicity of the KX. It's got three things on every other camera I've mentioned:

1) It displays both aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder
2) It has mirror lockup
3) It does not require batteries, except to power the meter

As for prices. I managed to get a MZ-M (which is really a Super Program with an integrated motor winder) for about $40 Canadian, so about 20 pounds. As for the Program Plus and Super Program, hunt pay attention to ebay closely. You can luck into one of those for cheap.

I have both a KX and a MZ-M, and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. But I love them both.

10-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In that case it'll be the MZ-M (illuminated LCD is always on), or either the Program Plus or Super Program (push button illumination).

Heh. I remember trying to use my KX to get a shot of the moon, and I couldn't see the lightmeter reading on the right hand side of the viewfinder...
10-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Chinon CG-5's pretty damn good. Well built, a tiny bit quieter than the equivalent Pentaxes.

Used it for a lot of my gig shots. No spot metering but - if you're using C41, it's not gonna matter.

But spot metering, gig shots...man after my own heart.

Remember, the mic stand's in the spotlight, and it ain't moving.
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Spotted a Chinon CG-5 for sale so I'll be keeping an eye on that one.
There was an MZ-M for sale near me, although the ad hasn't been updated in a few months.

Not easy finding Pentax gear in Ireland!

10-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i've been using my P5 for gigs - with FA50/1.4 in A mode, you can focus on photos, P5 does pretty good job at exposures.

also, Chinon CE-5 isn't bad at all - like P5, it also have Auto mode, but CE-5 won't work with KA lenses.
10-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No, chinon has their own version of A. You set the lens to the minimum aperature, and set the camera on P. It's a little weird, but then again, every lens becomes an A lens, technically. Don't know if any Chinon has an illuminated viewfinder though...
10-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

No, chinon has their own version of A. You set the lens to the minimum aperature, and set the camera on P. It's a little weird, but then again, every lens becomes an A lens, technically. Don't know if any Chinon has an illuminated viewfinder though...
CE-5 doesn't have that feature. and no illuminated viewfinder also, only 15 LEDs indicating suggested/selected shutter speed. but you get optical aperture ring reading - if you have enough light, in the first place.
but, CE-5 meters up to 4 secs, P5 goes only up to 1 sec metered.
10-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about a K2?

QuoteOriginally posted by RichyX Quote
Currently have a P30t which is unable to use ISO3200 film.
I only really plan to use a film camera for gigs, so this limits the usefulness of this body.

Looking for a body that can handle ISO3200, has an aperture priority mode, plus exposure compensation and spot metering would be handy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richy
The KX has already been suggested but found a little Spartan for your taste. How about the K2 then? It has an amazing ASA range from 8~6400! It has exposure compensation and although some find it a bit awakward to use I like it. Mirror lock up, aperture priority, 1/125 flash sync, DOF preview and the list goes on. A really nice feature is you have AE with all old those wonderful old K and M series lenses that don't have an A setting. There are a lot of great lenses in that group. The K2DMD offers a motor drive and aperture window as well. The only thing missing is spot metering and you could buy a spotmeter separately if you really need one. From your description above it sounds like a good fit if AF is not a priority for you.

Boz Dimitrov's Pentax page supplies further details.

K2

Worth considering.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 10-04-2009 at 10:13 AM.
10-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If I were you, I'd jump on this. The price is right, and you get a flash, a carrying case, and fresh batteries with the body.

All you'll need is the AA grip (optional, of course), and you'll be good to go.
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
If I were you, I'd jump on this. The price is right, and you get a flash, a carrying case, and fresh batteries with the body.

All you'll need is the AA grip (optional, of course), and you'll be good to go.
I've had that one in my watch list for a few days.

Tempted, but I also like the idea of a K2. Not trying to be a ponce, but the old body are so much nicer aesthetically.

How are MZ-Ms for manual focus?

Thinking about it I've found the P30t isn't all that easy to manual focus in low light...
10-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

MZ-Ms are built to be a manual focus body. You get a split image rangefinder, with a microprism collar for focusing aid. The viewfinder is reasonably bright, and clear, and all the information is displayed on the right side of the viewfinder (with exception to M and K lenses, then all you'll get is shutter speed, with A, and later lenses, you'll get aperature, as long as the lens is on A), and is always lit up (unless, you haven't touched the shutter button for a little bit).
10-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichyX Quote
I've had that one in my watch list for a few days.

Tempted, but I also like the idea of a K2. Not trying to be a ponce, but the old body are so much nicer aesthetically.

How are MZ-Ms for manual focus?

Thinking about it I've found the P30t isn't all that easy to manual focus in low light...
I recently bought Super A. I find it easier to manual focus with its pentaprism, compared to the pentamirror in the MZ-M.
But the MZ-M goes for good prices