Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Grand folks camera

Hi folks.
Got done early at work today, so I went to Griffith park to see if I can capture an image on film or two. I have been working on a roll of tri-x for a few weeks already...
My favorite image of the day is this one....I asked the girl if I could take a picture of her beauty (the camera) and she was all for it. Wish she would have smiled, but I think I got her off guard. She went on to tell me that her grandmother left it to her and how much she cherished it....How many of you remember these?

Why the story? Because a few months ago I bought this 100% mint Pentax SP2 from a guy on ebay...I paid $30.00 for this. The lens alone is worth 4 times this price. Anyway, turns out the kids Grandfather left him the camera after he passed away and the kid sold me his grandpas camera....He had this listed in the antiques section or it would have sold for hundreds I am sure...At least I will appreciate it and use it. According to the kid, it had a total of 4 rolls shot through it...Anyway, I was using it today and that girls Polaroid reminded me of the history of this sp2...

10-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good Stories JG.
10-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Ahh...Polaroids

My grandma's old Kodak folder circa 1940 is in the basement (wanted to use it but the bellows are done )...that would be fun to use except it takes 620 film.
10-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Old 620 folding camera

Ryan,

The bellows on your old camera may be replaceable or repairable. If there are just a few pinholes, I've heard of people dabbing a little black paint on the hole to patch it.

620 film, while not technically being made anymore, is still available. The film itself is identical to 120 film. The difference is the spool. The keyed holes in the spool ends are smaller, the center shaft is smaller in diameter and the end flanges are smaller than 120 film, which, of course, is still available. Checkout ebay. There are quite a few sellers offering 120 film loaded on modified 120 spools.

Your camera may be able to use the 120 spool as the feed spool, even if it needs a real 620 spool as the takeup. If you can find a local lab to process the film, you can ask that they return the spool with the film or you can rewind it back onto the 120 spool (in the dark, of course).

It is also possible that you might be able to modify your camera to accept 120 spools.

In short, 620 cameras don't have to sit on a shelf, if you don't want them to. I have an Argus TLR that uses 620. I still use it occasionally.

10-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Ryan,

The bellows on your old camera may be replaceable or repairable. If there are just a few pinholes, I've heard of people dabbing a little black paint on the hole to patch it.

620 film, while not technically being made anymore, is still available. The film itself is identical to 120 film. The difference is the spool. The keyed holes in the spool ends are smaller, the center shaft is smaller in diameter and the end flanges are smaller than 120 film, which, of course, is still available. Checkout ebay. There are quite a few sellers offering 120 film loaded on modified 120 spools.

Your camera may be able to use the 120 spool as the feed spool, even if it needs a real 620 spool as the takeup. If you can find a local lab to process the film, you can ask that they return the spool with the film or you can rewind it back onto the 120 spool (in the dark, of course).

It is also possible that you might be able to modify your camera to accept 120 spools.

In short, 620 cameras don't have to sit on a shelf, if you don't want them to. I have an Argus TLR that uses 620. I still use it occasionally.
Actually, it's quite easy to re-spool 120 film onto 620 reels inside a darkbag. Instructions aren't too hard to find on the web, it only took me one try to get it right. The catch is that you need 620 reels, but usually when you buy a 620 camera there's a spool or two still in there.

So along with the other options, shooting 620 is easy enough and lots of fun.
10-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know that there are still people shooting polaroids but those plastic Polaroid cameras don't seem to get much love. I dig through a stack of them whenever I'm at the local junk shop checking for newly arrived SLRs. The last time I was there I even found one of the Kodak instant cameras that Polaroid sued out of existence mixed in with the rest of the pile.

I've got a Grandmother who's still shooting with a little Fuji P&S at family functions (she wasn't happy when 12 shot rolls were discontinued because it takes too long to get through a 24). I also have a Grandfather with a Kodak Brownie and a Super 8 camera that haven't been used in decades.
10-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Ryan,

There are a lot of holes, unfortunately Besides nostalgia, I don't think it would worth the effort and patience to fix it...and I repair cameras as a hobby

I had read about the modded film spools when I was first researching the camera. Now this would be the absolute cheapest way into MF since all I would need is a 120 reel for my dev tank

It's been sitting too long in a basement that's too damp. Will look cool as a decoration, though, and at least has some history behind it. Even better if I could find some family pics taken with it...now that might spark me to repair it and take it out
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Actually, it's quite easy to re-spool 120 film onto 620 reels inside a darkbag. Instructions aren't too hard to find on the web, it only took me one try to get it right. The catch is that you need 620 reels, but usually when you buy a 620 camera there's a spool or two still in there.

So along with the other options, shooting 620 is easy enough and lots of fun.
I think there was one spool inside...maybe another full roll of film with it...? I believe I have one to start.
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I've got a Grandmother who's still shooting with a little Fuji P&S at family functions (she wasn't happy when 12 shot rolls were discontinued because it takes too long to get through a 24). I also have a Grandfather with a Kodak Brownie and a Super 8 camera that haven't been used in decades.
A former customer of mine always wanted the 12exp rolls...but would bring in 3-4 at a time for processing
10-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I remember seeing lots of NOS Kodak replacement bellows on eBay not long ago.
They were very inexpensive.

Chris

10-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
Banned

I thought polaroid stopped making film for these cameras?

here is my moms polaroid: a bit older, but the spirit is the same. still has two working flash bulbs. =)