Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just won a KX off ebay =) what should i do till i get it?

So i decided that i should take a trip back in time and shoot a bit of film seeing as i hear so much about it making you a better photographer, so i looked on ebay and i pick up a lovely looking KX =)
Now ive been shooting a k-7 for the few months and a k200d before that since february and have no idea about how film works so yea.
Anyone have any suggestions about what to read/what film to buy/any accesories etc.

Oh and heres the ebay link for anyone curious about the actual camera =)
PENTAX KX 35mm SLR + SMC PENTAX 55mm F1.8 lens - eBay Pentax, 35mm SLR Cameras, Film Cameras, Cameras. (end time 04-Oct-09 20:27:58 AEDST)

10-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Banned

how would using film make one a better photographer?

nice body though. I first suggest a good CLA.
10-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, you did get an excellent film body with an excellent lens. I've got the same camera (in silver), and I love it to pieces.

You may want to hunt down a simple auto flash, unless you have one, as this camera has no communication lines to the flash. Just a simple trigger shoe.

All of your lenses, with exception to the DA class, will work perfectly well with the camera.

As for film, you can try out the supermarket brands to get your feet wet, and then you can move on over to another brand. I can recomend Kodak Porta 400, but there's others that work just fine too. Just make sure that whatever film you buy, that it is process C-41 (look for it on the packaging), so that you can take it to your local 1 hour shop to have it processed.
10-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
So i decided that i should take a trip back in time and shoot a bit of film seeing as i hear so much about it making you a better photographer, so i looked on ebay and i pick up a lovely looking KX =)
Now ive been shooting a k-7 for the few months and a k200d before that since february and have no idea about how film works so yea.
Anyone have any suggestions about what to read/what film to buy/any accesories etc.

PENTAX KX 35mm SLR + SMC PENTAX 55mm F1.8 lens - eBay Pentax, 35mm SLR Cameras, Film Cameras, Cameras. (end time 04-Oct-09 20:27:58 AEDST)
Nice pickup! This is the combo I got back in 1975, when I first got into Pentax.

I think the camera case is for a K2, which is slightly bigger, but it still should fit a KX.

Here is a link to a KX manual, the password is: Pentax

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_kx_manual_s.pdf

You should also get a good 52mm Multi-coated UV and Linear Polarizer filter, both will work for B&W or colour film. You do not need to use a CPL with this camera, the Linear PLs are a third of the cost!!

Enjoy Phil.

PS: As previously mentioned, send the camera to Eric for a CLA!!

10-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
how would using film make one a better photographer?

nice body though. I first suggest a good CLA.
I think the idea is that with film, because of the cost and limited number of exposures involved, photogs tend to be a bit more thoughtful about actually firing the shutter, whereas digital can encourage more of a machine-gun style of shooting - like I do!
10-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I think the idea is that with film, because of the cost and limited number of exposures involved, photogs tend to be a bit more thoughtful about actually firing the shutter, whereas digital can encourage more of a machine-gun style of shooting - like I do!
depends on the camera and photographic situation I would think. I can go slow as all get out with my SV & Sekonic, but if I have my MX and winder, I can burn through film just as fast if not faster than I can snap photos with my digitals. but I guess everyone is different.
10-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
oh wow thanks for all the feedback guys.
Seems most people say i need to get it CLA'd but can you get this done in most camera stores? I live in Adelaide, aus and i dont really know much places apart from camera stores that would do this.

Thanks again guys
10-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That listing says the lens is a M55/1.8 but I'm pretty sure there was never a M55/1.8, you have a SMC (K) 55/1.8 which is a very nice lens, I have a copy:-). The KX is a very cool camera, great deal!!!

10-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another good source for manuals is Mike Butkus' site. He has good quality manuals for a plethora of vintage cameras and gears as well as catalogs (Sears etc.).

Free camera instruction manuals, camera instructions, free film camera user guide, camera manual, camera instruction manuals, Canon camera manual, Nikon camera manual, Ricoh camera manuals, Sears Camera Manuals, camera instruction manual, replacemen
10-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I'm surprised that Pentax named their new DSLR the K-x, when another previous camera has the same name as KX.

When I first saw this thread, I thought someone here had won an unobtainable K-x, whereas now I realize there existed a film KX.
10-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
I'm surprised that Pentax named their new DSLR the K-x, when another previous camera has the same name as KX.

When I first saw this thread, I thought someone here had won an unobtainable K-x, whereas now I realize there existed a film KX.
There is also an old film camera from 1975 called a KM and a DLSR called K-m.

Yes it's confusing.

Phil.
10-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Its not all that confusing if familiar with Pentax history. The hyphen in there is the key difference. Most brands can be confusing when looking at past models if one is unfamiliar with them. How many film and digital Rebel models are there?
10-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #13

TheTenaciousOne,

QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote

Now I've been shooting a k-7 for the few months and a k200d before that since february and have no idea about how film works so yea.

What to do til it arrives? Why, keep looking for an automatic camera like a Z1p. That's a terrible camera you picked up, it's completely manual! I'll send you my address and take it off your hands for you.

Seriously, it's a great camera. The only trouble is now you will want to built a collection of those great Pentax SMC lenses. The K lenses are basically the SMC Takumars with a new mount. I think they match the size of the body better. M lenses are smaller and seem to be more plentiful. Relatively cheap. The A series are becoming a little harder to find, but I'd look for them first. They are easier to use on your digital cameras.

The other things I might look for are a flash, light meter, shutter release cable and tripod. You can use a Vivitar 283 on the KX where it would fry your K-7. An incident light meter is handy to have for any of your cameras. Something with a dome. Gossen or Sekonics are good. There are others. If you use a tripod you'll want a cable release. Why use a tripod? There's no anti-vibration feature in the KX.

Vern
10-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

What to do?? Go pick up some film. Download the manual and read up on how that little gem works. Look around and find a camera repair shop who can do a good cleaning and tune up. Celebrate and go out and find a neat strap for it.

I have owned my KX for 30 years and mine has been a tough, reliable and very easy to use camera. It also has the necessary features to make it capable of taking some very, very good pictures. When it arrives, enjoy it. Film is a great medium. It won't necessarily make you a better photographer but it will almost certainly make you think a little more about your pictures, if only because you will have to do everything manually. I have found that digital is better for learning things, but once I've learned something, I want to test it out on film, and the KX is great for that.
10-10-2009, 03:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks again for the feedback guys.
Got the little beauty a couple of days ago and now im going to have my little spiel about it =D
First thing i noticed was how incredibly solid it felt and thinking that its gonna last forever. My K-7 feels solid and all but its just so different to the big chunk of metal the LX is. Then the viewfinder was just amazing to look through and i realised why people called 50mm's such a good focal length. Was so big as well, a shame to go back to 1.5x crop with the k-7 =(
Went and bought some cheap 400 film and tried out some street shots and it did feel rather different taking shots. Think it was more just me being stingy and not wanting to waste film i paid good money for though haha. One time this did frustrate me was i was waiting for people to cross a bridge i was on so i could get a good shot of their shadows along the river but in my head i think i was waiting for a too `perfect` shot and didnt end up taking one, even though there was a few times where it would of looked great. Not being able to get an instant review of my shot was rather daunting as well and i dont really think ill get used to it.
All and all i loved my film experience and think ill take the KX out a fair bit =)

Oh and i'd love to post a few of my shots up but got no idea how =(
anyone like to post a extra quick tutorial?? =p