Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
thanks for the tips B Grace.

i think i got the lightmeter working, but i looked up the sunny 16 rule and it's a good thing to keep in mind.

I think i'll have less trouble with the next role i load in as i know what to watch out for now

i wasn't too sure about what to do before the film counter got to zero, so thanks for clearing that up.

i've never used film before so i'm not too picky about how the pictures come out, i'm just looking for good contast and sharpness.

thanks again!

10-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
thanks for the tips B Grace.

i think i got the lightmeter working, but i looked up the sunny 16 rule and it's a good thing to keep in mind.

I think i'll have less trouble with the next role i load in as i know what to watch out for now

i wasn't too sure about what to do before the film counter got to zero, so thanks for clearing that up.

i've never used film before so i'm not too picky about how the pictures come out, i'm just looking for good contast and sharpness.

thanks again!
...and you know what film grain looks like right?
10-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
of course! that's the best part

OKAY SO...i have another problem.

i just finished the first role of film and i wasted about 7/8 pictures because the mirror gets stuck in the upright position from time to time, mostly when using 1/15 shutter speed.

i googled the problem and the solutions requires opening up the camera and doing all sorts of shinanigans inside the camera, and i'm not ready to do that

and NO, the foam hasn't gotten sticky over time blah blah.

is there anyway i can manually bring the mirror down when it gets stuck, so i can actuallly see through the viewfinder?
10-05-2009, 05:34 AM   #19
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
of course! that's the best part

OKAY SO...i have another problem.

i just finished the first role of film and i wasted about 7/8 pictures because the mirror gets stuck in the upright position from time to time, mostly when using 1/15 shutter speed.

i googled the problem and the solutions requires opening up the camera and doing all sorts of shinanigans inside the camera, and i'm not ready to do that

and NO, the foam hasn't gotten sticky over time blah blah.

is there anyway i can manually bring the mirror down when it gets stuck, so i can actuallly see through the viewfinder?
no. and I wouldn't advise trying, because the mirror is really one of if not the most delicate pieces of a camera. the slightest touch could get your fingerprints on it, and trying to clean it could basically be permanently destructive.

I know this camera was only lent to you, so I suggest that if you want to shoot film more often (even if not on a regular basis) pick yourself up a spotmatic of your own (often can be had with a 50 or 55mm lens) for pretty cheap. get it CLA'd. and you will be able to enjoy it, trouble free for years and years and years, when ever you decide to pick it up and use it. I would also tell your cousin to get his CLA'd if he plans on using it much.

10-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
yeah i was thinking i might get my own spotmatic, K1000, or even M series SLR.

where can i get the camera CLA'd? and how much would it cost?

i might just give it back to her now, and save my second role of XP2 for a properly working camera.
10-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #21
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
yeah i was thinking i might get my own spotmatic, K1000, or even M series SLR.

where can i get the camera CLA'd? and how much would it cost?

i might just give it back to her now, and save my second role of XP2 for a properly working camera.

I don't know about Canada, hopefully someone from up north can chime in. I have only used Eric Hendrickson. and a basic CLA will cost you less than 70 USD. I would suggest sending an email to eric about shipping to Canada.

Home

its not the cheapest thing in the world, and when purchasing a film SLR you should add it into the overall expense. but its well worth it. that everyone will agree on.
10-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
I've only used Eric for my CLA's also.

He has no issues with dealing with Canadians, and he does good work.

He included the shipping cost with teh work he did on my camera. I don't recall what it cost to ship the camera to him.
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,171
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I've only used Eric for my CLA's also.

He has no issues with dealing with Canadians, and he does good work.

He included the shipping cost with teh work he did on my camera. I don't recall what it cost to ship the camera to him.
Yep don’t waist your time with local camera repair shops, they’ll just screw it up and you’ll have to send it to Eric anyways.


Phil.

10-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
alright cool, i dropped him an email.
10-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Missouri
Posts: 429
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
of course! that's the best part

OKAY SO...i have another problem.

i just finished the first role of film and i wasted about 7/8 pictures because the mirror gets stuck in the upright position from time to time, mostly when using 1/15 shutter speed.

i googled the problem and the solutions requires opening up the camera and doing all sorts of shinanigans inside the camera, and i'm not ready to do that

and NO, the foam hasn't gotten sticky over time blah blah.

is there anyway i can manually bring the mirror down when it gets stuck, so i can actuallly see through the viewfinder?
So with the exception of not being able to see what it is exactly you are framing for each shot this camera works as it should. Heck, I sometimes waste 7 or 8 shots on a roll of film and my mirror works perfectly. I'm thinking I'd keep using it as-is especially if you encounter few problems when shooting at speeds other than 1/15th. Let's say you spend $150 on a CLA and you get a $150 camera.
10-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #26
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
So with the exception of not being able to see what it is exactly you are framing for each shot this camera works as it should. Heck, I sometimes waste 7 or 8 shots on a roll of film and my mirror works perfectly. I'm thinking I'd keep using it as-is especially if you encounter few problems when shooting at speeds other than 1/15th. Let's say you spend $150 on a CLA and you get a $150 camera.
he wont spend anywhere near 150 bucks on a CLA. with shipping it will likely be less than 70 USD.
10-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Nick Siebers's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,142
Ha! My Spotmatic F needed some minor repairs along with its CLA, and it cost me about $120. I don't know what it is "worth" but it is definitely less than that. But what, I am going to trash it? At least it SHOULD work for years, now.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
film
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top