Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
What now!?

Guys look what my cousin let me borrow!



So I know my way around my K-7 pretty well, but i have absolutely NO experience with a film SLR.

I'm gonna go pick up some B&W film from Henry's this afternoon. Any suggestions?

Anything i should know about this camera before i shoot with it?

I'm pretty sure the light-meter is broken because it's stuck in one position.

Also, the mirror gets stuck up from time to time...anyway to prevent this?

OH, and what exactly is the battery for? Because i took it out and the shutter still activates.

Feel free to fill me in on anything you feel i should know before i *waste* a role of film

10-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
Nice camera!

The battery powers the light meter. To turn the meter on, you push the black switch, (beside the lens mount, on the right when looking at the lens), up. This stops the lens down and the needle will move. Use the shutter speed, and the aperture to adjust the needle to the center position. Turn the meter off, and take the picture.

The ISO needs to be set to match the film you put into the camera. This is set by lifting and turning the shutter speed control. Set it to match the film. It is not a dynamic settting like in a DSLR.

When you load the film, be sure the re-wind crank turns as you advance the film. Otherwise you do not have the film loaded corectly. If you turn the rewind crank clockwise until there is tension on the film, it will be easier to see the crank turn.

To rewind the film , there is a small silver button on the bottom plate that needs to be pushed in before you crank the film back into the canister.

The mirror might be getting stuck on the foam mirror bumper. This can be replaced either as a DIY, or get the camera CLA'd.

And with all cameras, it is a good idea to read the manual.

Here is a link: Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax SL, user manual, instruction manual

As for what fim to shoot, shoot somthing that can be developed at the locat lab. So, for B/W, try Iford XP2, for colour, shoot what ever they are selling.

Have fun!
10-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteQuote:
Turn the meter off, and take the picture
the camera does this for you. when you press the shutter, it switches the light meter off by mechanically pushing the switch back down. ie: its linked to the shutter release.

Last edited by séamuis; 10-04-2009 at 11:01 AM.
10-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
thank-you SO much.
i bought the ilford XP2 400ISO :]
and...i didn't load it properly xD

10-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
thank-you SO much.
i bought the ilford XP2 400ISO :]
and...i didn't load it properly xD
good choice. excellent film. what do you mean you didnt load it properly? what exactly did you do? wasted film is not cheap.
10-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
when i was advancing the film with the lever, the rewing crank wasn't turning... i turned off all my lights and popped open the back to see the film hasn't been moving :P

so basically...my first 3 pictures, don't exist

so i reseated the film properly and took a few more pictures. The crank appears only to be turning every OTHER picture i take...i'm confused? does this camera have a double exposure option or something?
10-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the camera does this for you. when you press the shutter, it switches the light meter off by mechanically pushing the switch back down. ie: its linked to the shutter release.
Seamuis,

Are you sure about this? I thought my SP1000 was working corectly, and it does not do this. Maybe its been broken and I never realised it?

-------------------------

I just read the manual, and you are right! I need to get my Spotmatic fixed!
10-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
when i was advancing the film with the lever, the rewing crank wasn't turning... i turned off all my lights and popped open the back to see the film hasn't been moving :P

so basically...my first 3 pictures, don't exist

so i reseated the film properly and took a few more pictures. The crank appears only to be turning every OTHER picture i take...i'm confused? does this camera have a double exposure option or something?
If the film tension slacks off inside the canister, then the crank will not turn with every advance. If you tension the film first, then advance the film, the crank shoulf turn with every advance. But, you don't need to tension the film to advance it.

10-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
If the film tension slacks off inside the canister, then the crank will not turn with every advance. If you tension the film first, then advance the film, the crank shoulf turn with every advance. But, you don't need to tension the film to advance it.

hmm...well alright!
i guess we'll find out when i get it processed :P
10-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Seamuis,

Are you sure about this? I thought my SP1000 was working corectly, and it does not do this. Maybe its been broken and I never realised it?

-------------------------

I just read the manual, and you are right! I need to get my Spotmatic fixed!
sorry about your broken spottie, but yea that's how its supposed to work.
10-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
OMG THE FILM WASN'T GOING AGAIN.

it was going underneath the rolling thing instead of around....UGH.

the last 10 pictures i took don't even exist.
10-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
OMG THE FILM WASN'T GOING AGAIN.

it was going underneath the rolling thing instead of around....UGH.

the last 10 pictures i took don't even exist.
how did you load it? by the way, I wasted frames on a perfectly good roll of cheap expired film....

10-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 269
Original Poster
i don't even know, i stuck the end of the film in the slot that's on the cylinder thingy and it seems to be working.

all i know is that the film is advancing properly now :]

i went back to a few places to re-take the pictures that vanished into nothingness before.

P.S. you have a black spotmatic? JELOUS.
10-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
i don't even know, i stuck the end of the film in the slot that's on the cylinder thingy and it seems to be working.

all i know is that the film is advancing properly now :]

i went back to a few places to re-take the pictures that vanished into nothingness before.

P.S. you have a black spotmatic? JELOUS.
don't be jealous. its an ESII, they were really common in black. in fact the satin chrome ones are the rare ones with this model.
10-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Missouri
Posts: 429
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
i don't even know, i stuck the end of the film in the slot that's on the cylinder thingy and it seems to be working.

all i know is that the film is advancing properly now :]

i went back to a few places to re-take the pictures that vanished into nothingness before.

P.S. you have a black spotmatic? JELOUS.
Now it's on to estimating exposure and determining if you fall in with the Sunny 16 camp or the Sunny 11 group. The loading the film routine becomes just that, routine. At one time, I was pretty good at loading a roll of film while walking trails. Changing memory cards is a cake walk.

One comment on loading film: Always point the camera at something nice when firing the first 2 or 3 frames on a new roll to bring the counter to 0. I've taken some nice shots with those "extra" frames.

And finally I have to say that while I've only shot a few rolls of XP2 I didn't like it much due to it's unique look. To me anyway. Maybe I've shot too many frames of Ilford Pan F.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
film
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top