Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #1

PZ-1P question(for owners)

I bought a PZ-1P from KEH back in July and I do indeed like it but the manual is long and tedious. I have read it twice but it doesn't really explain all of the program modes thoroughly at least to me anyways. My question is what are the other Hyper Program modes the little d?? and the H?? I have seen no explanation for this.

10-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just aquired a PZ-1P as well. See page 96 of the manual. The d and H are 2 of the 4 possible settings for the program line. d - meaning the meter is set to give preference to a wider depth of field in its choice, H - meaning the meter is set to give preference to faster shutter speeds. the other two are no preference and MTF which is preference to the manufacturs settings for the lens being used (if the camera can talk to the lens).

Tim
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #3

Sometimes I find the brochure more helpful than the manual for general questions and operation of the camera. You probably didn't get that when you got the camera. You can download it from Pentax-Manuals.com on the literature page: Pentax Manuals - Literature. It's the Z1P leaflet in the middle of the right hand column.

The beauty of the Hyper Program feature is that it will maintain the proper exposure even if you want to make some adjustments. If you open up the lens to blur the background a little, the camera will increase the shutter speed to compensate for the increase of light. This starts on p. 43 of the manual and is explained on p. 45-46. How the camera chooses the exposure value is explained in the Program Line section on p. 96-97. If you use a Pentax F or FA lens, those lenses tell the camera what their sweet spot is and the camera uses that for the exposure in the MTF mode. The Program Lines are charted on p. 127-128.

The PZ/Z-1p is a great camera. I think it might be the best camera Pentax ever made. Take time to play with it and learn how it works. It's not always obvious how the functions work. The manual isn't exactly in English either. But learning how to use it is worth the trouble.

Vern
10-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

Yes, those program lines give you the option to skew things in one direction or the other. The PZ1p is a wonderful camera, and the flexibility in it's program shift is very helpful at times. You can override a program setting anytime, even if it means going out of the boundaries of what the meter reads as a picture that might blur due to slow shutter speeds. The PZ20 had program shift, but kept you locked into a range. I shot with two PZ1p's for a number of years until moving towards digital. Still have one & fire it up from time to time just to hear it zip through it's paces at 1/8000 seconds!