Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #1

MZ-50 No diopter ( I can't see)

Hello,

I've just purchased a cheap second hand MZ-50 to give film photography a go before I spend out on a decent slr...Anyway, I have a K10 and love the viewfinder which is clear and bright and when adjusted I can see perfectly in focus...

Well, what a difference on the MZ-50! It's like I'm almost blind! I don't know if the viewfinder is smaller? Do I need an eyecup? But I really can't see at all when focusing fairly close. I tried to focus on a some writing on a page just 1 metre away using a 50mm prime and all I got was blur and the terrible eye strain.. I tried the same with my K10 and had no probs at all with the same lens and same distance....

So is it my eyesight failing me or some oversight on my behalf? Is there a remedy?

Thanks

La Poder

10-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's anything like my PZ-20 it looks like the viewfinder is smaller than on MY digital (which isn't Pentax)
However this shouldn't make a big difference at that distance.

I'm kinda thinking that you may want to try an Auto Focus lens, even the 18 - 55mm kit lens. Then see if it's better.
If it can't focus then either the mirror is in the wrong position, or there's something wrong with the focus screen
Either way, it may just cost more to fix than replace the camera.
10-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks

Hi,

I've used auto focus and it works. The cam is like new. I think I maybe slightly short-sighted. Never noticed before. On the K10 I guess I may have adjusted the diopter setting and so never really noticed that the fault was me.

Is there an external accessory that can be attached to correct for this like some kind of eyepiece or will I have to rely in the cameras af?