Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #1

SFXn

Dears,

I have possibility to buy SFXn for abt USD 30 - body only.

I have already few Pentax film cameras, so please let me take decision - to buy or not to buy...

Already in my hands are 2 x Super A and *ist.

Is it good deal ??

What this body can do that I can not do using these remained above ??

Rgds
Pawel

10-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

You can look at the camera reviews on this web site:

PentaxForums.com - Pentax Camera Reviews

and compare specs. I have SF1 and SF1n, they are noisy when autofocusing, but very sturdily built. They usually go for $20 each without batteries.
10-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned an SF1n since the late 80s and it has always been an excellent camera for me. I bought it because I wanted autofocus to help me take pictures of my kids and it has handled that task, and others, with ease. As mentioned, it is noisy, and it is heavy, but I like the balance, and the weight seems to help me stay steady when taking pix. I have a Pentax 28-200mm zoom that is a heavy beast all on its' own and this is the only camera I own that feels balanced with that lens.

The viewfinder is absolutely great. I own a KX, an MZ-S and a K200D and IMHO the SF1N viewfinder is the best of all of them. If you have manual focus lenses it handles these just great with the focus confirmation in the viewfinder. The autofocus is not quite as good as the one on my MZ-S, but in 20 years I have only had to switch to manual focus a few times to get the picture.

The camera functions are set using sliding switches, not dials, so you may not like them and it will take a little time to get used to them. But, once you do, you will find that they are very easy to use on the fly. The camera has basic autoprogram functions as well as aperture, shutter, manual and bulb. The flash sync has worked well for me over the years but it is pretty standard. One nice thing is that the flash mounts to the right side of the body instead of the center so I rarely get red eye when taking pictures of the kids indoors. I have an AF280T and an AF330FGZ flash and both work well with this camera. It has TTL flash.

I'm not sure that the SF1N will do anything more then your other cameras but your price is definitely right. For me the camera has been exceptionally reliable. I've used mine since 1988 and it has been professionally cleaned only twice in all that time (its not real fond of dust). The only problem I've had is with the rubber grip at the front right side coming partially unglued a couple years ago. It really hasn't been a big problem and it definitely doesn't effect how it works. I've re-applied it a couple of times with contact cement and that seems to work for a few months. Maybe the next time I take it in for cleaning I'll see if they can do something about it that will last a little longer.

Anyway, this is a great camera and I don't think you will be disappointed is you do pick it up.
10-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #4

I picked up an SF7 with a 28-80 lens for 30 last week, so you're probably in the right area price-wise. I like the camera and it'll be joining my other film SLRs in a purpose-built display case when I get around to building one. It's like a breeze block next to my K-m!

What I have noticed is that film SLR bodies do not go for much, but those with lenses can go for more (a lot more if it's an interesting or unusual lens) as the digital crowd are buying them as a cheap source of lenses. I know I've ended up with a mint MZ-50 and very tidy SF7 this way

10-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have an Sf1n and I love it. Yes, it is noisy and the autofocus is a bit slow, but accurate. Despite its weight and size it is remarkably easy to handle; well balanced as another poster mentioned. If the camera all checks out the price is very fair.
10-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the infoes.

I'll buy this body on monday

Appart of that last I bought MV1 in mint condition (like brand new) with Auto Revuenon 45mm/2,8 lens - beautifull and mint condition

You can watch it here: http://pentax.org.pl/ads_mod/images/ad362_img1_large.jpg

Too much bodies and too less time to make a photoes....

Last edited by pawgra; 10-10-2009 at 11:07 PM.