Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Oskar Barnack neither invinted 35mm film nor was he the first to use it in a still camera. what he is responsible for is popularizing its use in a still camera and essentially designing the first camera that is the basis for modern 35mm film photography. ie: using it horizontally with a 24x36mm capture area. the camera that very quickly led to Kodak inventing modern "cartridge" film in 1934.

the actual inventor of 35mm film was a french born citizen working in America as a photographer under Thomas Edison. the man was William Kennedy Laurie Dickson, who invented it for the Edisons Kinetoscope project using Kodak 70mm film stock.
I just took it for granted that using it horizontally with 24x36 frames was what we were talking about here. Edison and his crew run the film vertically with 18x24mm frames (APS-C).

What I read Barnack made his own cartridges, baught cinematic 35mm film on big rolls and cut them down into his cartridges that he used horizontally in the protorype Leica with doubled size frames compared to the cinematic pictures. That is first enough for me.

...gosh, this means full frame is not full fram. It is double frame and APS-C is full frame!?!

10-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
LOL aww! that's so sad, at least he learnt his lesson.
No, he didn't!
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I just took it for granted that using it horizontally with 24x36 frames was what we were talking about here. Edison and his crew run the film vertically with 18x24mm frames (APS-C).

What I read Barnack made his own cartridges, baught cinematic 35mm film on big rolls and cut them down into his cartridges that he used horizontally in the protorype Leica with doubled size frames compared to the cinematic pictures. That is first enough for me.

...gosh, this means full frame is not full fram. It is double frame and APS-C is full frame!?!
edison and "his crew"? yes the film that was invinted was intended to be used vertically, however the first still cameras to use the format also used the film horizontally. the difference is that they used a capture area that would by todays standards be considerd "half frame". yes barnack had to make his own cartridges, as "cartridge" film didnt exist until 1934. the reason he so often gets credit for inventing 35mm film, is because he was the first to use it the way it is still used today. the problem is "setting a standard" does in no way equal "inventing the product". this is similar to people wrongly claiming Asahi Optical invented the penta-prism, when the truth is they simply "set a standard" for its use, that happens to be (like 35mm 24x36mm film) still used today.
10-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I luckily haven't done the X/FP thing (yet), however, I've shot a whole lot of flash pics with the shutter speed faster than sync speed.

10-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
edison and "his crew"? yes the film that was invinted was intended to be used vertically, however the first still cameras to use the format also used the film horizontally. the difference is that they used a capture area that would by todays standards be considerd "half frame". yes barnack had to make his own cartridges, as "cartridge" film didnt exist until 1934. the reason he so often gets credit for inventing 35mm film, is because he was the first to use it the way it is still used today. the problem is "setting a standard" does in no way equal "inventing the product". this is similar to people wrongly claiming Asahi Optical invented the penta-prism, when the truth is they simply "set a standard" for its use, that happens to be (like 35mm 24x36mm film) still used today.
That reminds me that I'm looking for a Contax S to keep my Praktiflex company when they are hanging out with my K.

Edit: The Asahiflex brings more than a Praktiflex + Contax S.
10-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as screwing up loading film, I have never done that on any 35mm, 6x7, 6x6 etc. :BrownBag:
10-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by flockofbirds Quote
Ah, ok, I will figure out how I am messing up with the loading.
thanks a bunch.
Hey, after you close the back of the camera and crank off two shots, you should be able to turn the rewind crank (DO NOT press the button on the bottom of the camera before doing this) clockwise and feel resistance, after you take up the slack, to the point where it stops. The rewind crank will also spin counterclockwise when you crank the wind lever after taking up the slack indicating that film is feeding onto the takeup spool, as it should.
10-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
His name was Oskar Barnack.
And the older film cartridges had a much longer leader (I think around 10cm). This presents a minor problem when trying to use modern films in a classic "Barnack" Leica. I'm of the "cut the leader to look like an old one" school, though some screw around with leaving the shutter open ("T" mode) and wrestling the film in place by poking a finger through the lens mount opening...