Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #1

Need 35mm camera for classes, Canon or Pentax?

Hello fellow photogs,

I'm taking a photo class this summer which requires a "manual camera" and will be discussing darkroom processes. I assume that they mean I'll be using 35mm by this.

I could use my grandmother's Nikon N8008, which I've used before, but I figure that having my own film camera on which to use my own lenses would be nice. Due to the fact that I'm a junior high (high school in the fall) student who's saving up for nice glass certainly limits my choices in bodies.

I've been looking around Keh recently, and realized that I can get an ELAN 7E for $140. On the other hand, most MZ-S's run $900 or so on ebay. Also, I can get the 17-40 f/4L, 28-70 f/2.8L, and 70-200 f/4L for a combined price of $1765 (used), which, for that kind of glass, is incredible!

I've enjoyed using my K100D, but used Pentax lenses are not readily available, and the 3 new pentax lenses I want total $2195. That said, my Pentax telephoto would be a stop faster than the canon, but it also wouldn't be an L lens.

I wish I could justify the DA*s and the DA12-24 over the three aforementioned EF L lenses, but I'm not sure I can...

Is there some great place for used Pentax glass that I don't know of? Will buying lenses used (the 28-70 is BGN, the others are LN at keh) effect IQ?

Thanks,
wmmk

05-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
Also, I can get the 17-40 f/4L, 28-70 f/2.8L, and 70-200 f/4L for a combined price of $1765 (used), which, for that kind of glass, is incredible!
That is an amazing price for those lenses (mostly the 28-70 f2.8L). But if you were buying those 3, there would be no reason why you would stay with pentax. They will be fine on something like the Elan (which is an amazing camera) but put them with even an XT/XTi and throw a 50mm 1.8 with it and you have a perfect set up with great glass.

just my 0.02 if you were going to drop the money on L glass.

Edit: just saw the BGN thing for the 28-70. The glass should be ok, but it will look extremely well used.
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
That is an amazing price for those lenses (mostly the 28-70 f2.8L). But if you were buying those 3, there would be no reason why you would stay with pentax. They will be fine on something like the Elan (which is an amazing camera) but put them with even an XT/XTi and throw a 50mm 1.8 with it and you have a perfect set up with great glass.

just my 0.02 if you were going to drop the money on L glass.

Edit: just saw the BGN thing for the 28-70. The glass should be ok, but it will look extremely well used.
Hmmm...
When you say extremely used, I'm not sure what you mean, to to the subjectivity of these sort of classifications. Have you ever bought a BGN lens from keh? If so, it'd be great if you could post a photo. Will mechanical functions (i.e. zoom ring and USM motor) be in good condition? I suppose I'm more worried about the glass and USM than anything else, but I'd rather not have a lens that appears as though I've pulled it out of a dumpster. Then again, as a close to broke (soon to be) freshman, I can't exactly afford to be very discriminating about cosmetics, can I?

Oh, and about the XT/XTi thing, I'd probably use the ELAN until I'm done with the film class then pick up a used 1D.

While I can get more MP per dollar with the newer consumer bodies, 8fps and fine tonal graduation/dynamic range are more important. That said, I might hit some obstacles with my biggest possible print size (at 200 ppi) would be 13"x8", which isn't exactly gargantuan.
05-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
DAP

If you are really jonesing for a semi-affordable kit of premium glass, I would probably have to agree with Spam, you will be money ahead to sell the Pentax digital and switch over to Canon. As much as I like pentax, the facts are as follows - Canon glass is MUCH easier to find, and when you do find it, it is usually cheaper than their Pentax counterparts.

That being said, If I were in your shoes, I would just go out and buy a 1970's full manual slr (doesn't matter what company you choose), a matching fast 50mm manual lens, and a simple hand held incident light meter for cheap. Concentrate on learning the fundamentals of exposure and explore how creative you can be with only one lens.

BTW - usually KEH bargain lenses are in pretty good shape. There is usually some moderate barrel/body wear and there should not be any glass imperfections more serious than a couple of minor cleaning marks and internal dust - nothing that is going to affect your photos. Just remember - you can always return it if it doesn't meet your standards.

05-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Forum Member

I would wonder if the canon you are talking about would really qualify as a manual camera. It seems to be as automatic as they come, just uses film...