Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #1

When did Ricoh bodies and lenses STOP being compatible?

Apologies if this has already been answered before but I couldn't find it in the archives.

At what point did Ricoh decide to 'improve' on the Pentax K mount? Was it with the bodies for which the model number begins with 'X'? Or is it more complicated than that?

I'm not clear on the implications. I understand that lenses designed for the 'improved' mount will lock on true K-mount cameras. What happens when K-mount lenses are used on 'improved' Ricoh bodies?

Asking because some of the Ricoh bodies seem very interesting and I want to make sure there is water in the pool before diving into it.

If there is a Website that addresses these questions, please point me to it. Bojidar's site seems to deal exclusively with Pentax branded gear.

TIA!/Scottax1

Last edited by scottax1; 05-29-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: oops!
05-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scottax1 Quote
Apologies if this has already been answered before but I couldn't find it in the archives.

At what point did Ricoh decide to 'improve' on the Pentax K mount? Was it with the bodies for which the model number begins with 'X'? Or is it more complicated than that?

I'm not clear on the implications. I understand that lenses designed for the 'improved' mount will lock on true K-mount cameras. What happens when K-mount lenses are used on 'improved' Ricoh bodies?

Asking because some of the Ricoh bodies seem very interesting and I want to make sure there is water in the pool before diving into it.

If there is a Website that addresses these questions, please point me to it. Bojidar's site seems to deal exclusively with Pentax branded gear.

TIA!/Scottax1
To my knowledge, it came with the automatic apature and auto focus functions.

RICOH XR-1, XR-2 XR-2s KR10 and KR-5 all have standard K mount. It is the electrical contact versions that are different.

I have an XR-2s and it works fine with all K mount lenses. I only have one RICOH lens, the F2.0 50mm kit lens that came with the XR-2s.
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
DAP

You are going to want to stay away from the ricoh "program" lenses (they have the letter "P" on them). They have an electrical contact pin that supposedly locks on the pentax autofocus bodies. That being said I have a ricoh 50mm f2 "P" lens that I regularly use on my autofocus Pentax MZ-S body that has never given me any problems at all. I think the main offenders are the dual ricoh/pentax mount auto-aperture manual focus lenses that were put out by 3rd parties (tokina, etc). Results may vary
05-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dont know about teh other models but i have a ricoh xr-p and it works like charm with all the k mount stuff ive got.

05-31-2007, 03:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yikes! What a stew!

Based on this, I'm sure not gonna buy any Ricoh gear unless I first test it with all of my existing stuff. And even then will have to be careful about lens lock!

Ricoh has offered some pretty innovative products over the years, but 'improving' the K mount is not one of their better ideas.

Thanks!/Scottax1