Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
Now, how many of us have dropped a lens, and had it come through unscathed?
I... dropped the lowly 18-55 kit lens, when changing equipment sitting on a park bench in Shanghai. I leaned forward and had forgotten about the lens in my lap. It took the pluinge onto the stone pavement and the people sitting beside me, where really horrified. But the lens was fine, just a scratch on the lens hood. May be its low weight came to the rescue.

In the long and distant past I dropped a Cosina 24-50 zoom. The bayonett was bent, but after applying some force and pliers, I could use it again. But IQ was so mediocre I gave up o that lens anyway.

The worst hit lens was a Leica 180/3.4 Apo. Perhaps among the handful best lenses of all times. My travel companion handled the lens attached to a R4 body, when he slipped and fell onto the camera. The lens somehow dismounted from the camera and stuck out at a strange agle, the lens hood was bent and the focusing threads where damaged. But still, the lens worked and the images turned out to be just as sharp as before that accident.

Oh, yes, once in Norway I slipped on the winterly ice and fell down onto my LX with the M 50/1.4 attached, which I kept in a small bag attached to the breast strap of my rucksack. That rucksack obviously fell on top of me and I crushed my breast bone on the LX. But he camera and lens were fine. I had some severe pain during the rest of my journey, but took great pics...

I dropped both my K10 and K20 occassionally, both of them within days of buying them. Both came away with just a scratch or two and nothing else.

Ben

10-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bows, that about takes the cake!
10-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Does anyone else have a camera or two that they picked up for next to nothing, yet found to be in perfect working order despite looking a bit rough?
Ironically enough, I got a Super A here who looks a touch rough, and I named 'Dangermouse.'

I still haven't done a little work I intend to before trying out loaded, but seems OK.
10-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my MX from a poorly written "it works but as-is" ad on the bay, the only out-of-focus picture showing a huge dent on the prism. Someone else did bid me up to about $30, so I was very happy to discover nothing wrong with it a CLA couldn't fix. Cleaned up very nice!

Bows, I applaud your find. THAT is a pair of gems buried in dirty dirt.

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 12-07-2010 at 08:08 PM.
11-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #20

Original Poster
I've now sourced a cheap original Pentax-M 50mm lens for my MV 1. One question though - does anyone know what the original lens cap for an MV 1 with the kit 50mm f2 lens looked like? I've seen them with and without the "Asahi" lettering, and with or without silver paint on the lettering, but I've no idea which would have been produced at the same time as my MV 1.

This is probably a bit picky, but as the lens doesn't come with a cap I might as well get an original one and finish the pairing off!

Regarding dropped cameras, a few weeks after buying his K2 in the 1970s my father went walking in the Brecon Beacons. Somehow his backpack containing the camera got away and rolled/bounced down a rocky hillside. Amazingly the K2 got away with no more than a dent in the baseplate and still works today - it recently got a bit of a cleanup and when the corrosion was removed from the battery terminals everything lit up perfectly.

Last edited by Dangermouse; 11-09-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Additional content
11-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote

This is probably a bit picky, but as the lens doesn't come with a cap I might as well get an original one and finish the pairing off!
..now you're obsessed with it.

its dangerous.

if i checked to butkus site..and look into mv1 manual..page 9, there a picture of the lens while still have a cap on it.

i think it have asahi on it..

see your self.. or get the original copy of mv1 manual first..
11-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks - I had a copy of the manual but hadn't looked that closely!

The lens has arrived, it's in good shape and came with one of the old metal lens caps. I might well change it anyway as I know those aren't easy to find and I'd rather not lose it, plus it doesn't really fit this lens as the flange that goes over the lens is a bit too deep.

Edit, photo now posted in the "Introduce your film Pentax" thread.

I now have another rebuild project - a Pentax MG which sort of worked, then jammed solid! It's not worth sending it off to a professional as I could buy a mint example for less than getting it properly serviced, so I intend to view this one as a course in mechanical SLR repair. The electronics are fine and it's not bad cosmetically.

Last edited by Dangermouse; 11-10-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Update
11-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #23

My guess is that the original wouldn't have had "Asahi" on it. The last Pentaxes to be marked "Asahi" were the MX and the original ME, after which Asahi did away with their real name on their cameras and just marked (and marketed) them as Pentaxes. Being released after the ME and MX, I expect the MV1 would have a plain "Pentax" front cap.

Also, I'm all for period-correctness, so go for it!

11-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #24

Original Poster
I think the MV1 may have been at the very tail end of the "Asahi Pentax" era, as it has both on the top plate but the Asahi part isn't picked out in white like the Pentax lettering.

Looking at the photo it definitely seems to have the full lettering on the cap, so I'll keep an eye out for a sensibly priced one.
11-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #25

not sure how this happened, but it surely was not shown in any picture when I saw it on ebay.

Not that I care too much, everything on the camera functions 100%.