Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #16

Hello.

I am reviving this thread because this happened to one of my ME Supers as well. I subsequently left it on the shelf unused for more than 2 years thinking it was bust. And then today I came across some interesting websites, and lo and behold, that ME Super is now working again!

In my case it is to do with the second shutter curtain not finishing the loop, and the shutter being sticky at speeds faster than 1/125.

First, I took my (presumed dead) ME Super off the shelf, opened the back (there's no film inside) and pulled the shutter curtain down gently. The mirror plopped back down! Superb!

Next, I tried dry firing the shutter again and again. It seemed to work fine, until it suddenly got stuck again. This time I tried another tip: banging the camera bottom on the palm of my hand without having to open the camera back. Yes, it works! The previous frame doesn't complete, I guess, but I am able to wind on and fire the shutter again.

Tested again, and a few random shots later the mirror got stuck yet again. That got me curious. So I put in new batteries and tested it speed by speed. It seems the mirror will get stuck at 1/125 and above. If I shot at 1/500, the mirror locks up. I bang it on my palm, the camera works again. I can fire all the way up to 1/60 with no problems.

So far so good. Now I just have to figure out why the shutter is sticky at high speeds.

Well, I am writing in just in case it might help someone else troubleshoot their problem. Cheers.