Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #16

Hello.

I am reviving this thread because this happened to one of my ME Supers as well. I subsequently left it on the shelf unused for more than 2 years thinking it was bust. And then today I came across some interesting websites, and lo and behold, that ME Super is now working again!

In my case it is to do with the second shutter curtain not finishing the loop, and the shutter being sticky at speeds faster than 1/125.

First, I took my (presumed dead) ME Super off the shelf, opened the back (there's no film inside) and pulled the shutter curtain down gently. The mirror plopped back down! Superb!

Next, I tried dry firing the shutter again and again. It seemed to work fine, until it suddenly got stuck again. This time I tried another tip: banging the camera bottom on the palm of my hand without having to open the camera back. Yes, it works! The previous frame doesn't complete, I guess, but I am able to wind on and fire the shutter again.

Tested again, and a few random shots later the mirror got stuck yet again. That got me curious. So I put in new batteries and tested it speed by speed. It seems the mirror will get stuck at 1/125 and above. If I shot at 1/500, the mirror locks up. I bang it on my palm, the camera works again. I can fire all the way up to 1/60 with no problems.

So far so good. Now I just have to figure out why the shutter is sticky at high speeds.

Well, I am writing in just in case it might help someone else troubleshoot their problem. Cheers.

01-14-2018, 04:59 AM   #17

Open bottom. Blow it out trough every hole u see. I sprayed brake cleaner in it. Especially around the area of the rewinding mechanism. Blew out again. Until all wet brake cleaner was evaporated. Then a bit of contactspray. Closed it and started clicking and rewinding. Slowly th mechanism freed up, and everything started working as should.
Cheers
01-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd be very careful with the above advice. Certain types of brake cleaner can melt plastics, rubber, glue, and other important components of a camera VERY quickly. Don't ask me how I know.
09-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
1. Bang the bottom into your other hand
2. Take the lens off; manually move the aperture stopdown lever
3. Remove the bottom plate; the largest lever underneath has probably not completed its run. Poke at it with a screwdriver.
4. Remove film; push down on shutter curtain gently.
5. Send to Eric.

In that order Only progress if the previous step doesn't work.
Followed the steps as said and the 4th step worked for me on my Pentax P30n. Thank you.

09-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #20

Here in the UK ME supers are not dirt cheap any more. Film photography has taken off and people like the classic looks of cameras in the ME super generation (also AE1, OM10 etc). These cameras look like they are a high quality metal build but are cheap plastic inside. The slightly later cameras with a more plastic exterior appearance and cheesy 90s styling are the bargains now. P30 is a much better choice than the ME super IMO. For the classic M series looks and genuine high build quality the MX is the camera to buy.