Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help, Pentax ME Super's mirror is stuck up ... (solved)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello from Maine,

I have the Pentax ME Super, I am not very familiar with film cameras - I was snapping away with it and it worked fine, but then all of a sudden the mirror was locked up. It's not physically jammed as I can put it back down with my finger, but it pops back up after.

Is it mirror lock up ?

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Craig

Last edited by spystyle; 01-14-2011 at 07:00 PM.
10-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have an me super. This has happened to me before. Your batteries are probably dead.

Oh and DON'T pull on the mirror.
10-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for chiming in - sadly I don't think it's the batteries, I have about 100 of those types of batteries from eBay. I insert them as the manual says and I see LED lights in the viewfinder. I think the camera has juice ...

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I have an me super. This has happened to me before. Your batteries are probably dead.

Oh and DON'T pull on the mirror.
10-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Thanks for chiming in - sadly I don't think it's the batteries, I have about 100 of those types of batteries from eBay. I insert them as the manual says and I see LED lights in the viewfinder. I think the camera has juice ...

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Craig
I think the light seals might be breaking down and getting sticky. It happened to my old ME Super and I've never taken the inititive to get it fixed.

Tim

10-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I think the light seals might be breaking down and getting sticky. It happened to my old ME Super and I've never taken the inititive to get it fixed.

Tim
Hi Tim, it's not likely to be the light seals either, I recently had them replaced and there is no goop on the mirror.

The mirror isn't actually sticking up, rather it's being pushed up. I can pull it back down but it springs back up when I let go.

Thanks,
Craig
10-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Here is a post with a couple of tricks you might want to try.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/71791-mesuper.html

Tim
10-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is a post with a couple of tricks you might want to try.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/71791-mesuper.html

Tim
Thanks or chiming in, though those tips were to no avail as well

Do we have a resident repair guy for Pentax film cameras ?

Thanks,
Craig

10-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

On my ME Super, when shooting in auto mode, it occasionally locks the mirror up after taking a shot. This sounds similar to your problem.

In my case, turning the mode dial to M or 1/125 will release it. Of course, the frame is lost, but the camera returns to normal.

There's a guy named Eric Hendrickson, who used to work for Pentax, who now specializes in repairing old Pentax cameras. His website is: Home

I've never used his services, but he has a great reputation on all the Pentax forums that I've seen. AFAIK, his prices are reasonable, as well.
10-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, after trying everything unsuccessfully, I will just send it to that guy - or abandon it to eBay if his rates make my heart stop.

have fun
Craig

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
On my ME Super, when shooting in auto mode, it occasionally locks the mirror up after taking a shot. This sounds similar to your problem.

In my case, turning the mode dial to M or 1/125 will release it. Of course, the frame is lost, but the camera returns to normal.

There's a guy named Eric Hendrickson, who used to work for Pentax, who now specializes in repairing old Pentax cameras. His website is: Home

I've never used his services, but he has a great reputation on all the Pentax forums that I've seen. AFAIK, his prices are reasonable, as well.
10-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Thanks, after trying everything unsuccessfully, I will just send it to that guy - or abandon it to eBay if his rates make my heart stop.

have fun
Craig
Craig,

Dont sell it as it seems like an easy fix.

It looks like the rubber seal (where the mirror slaps) has aged over time and has turned a bit gooey / sticky. I had a similar issue and bought the below pre-cut seal kit from Jon Goodman (ebay id : interslice)

Pre-Cut Interslice Seal Kit Pentax ME, ME Super, MV - eBay (item 110447800140 end time Nov-18-09 16:20:27 PST)

He sells Camera seal kits and ships with brilliant installation manual. Buy it, replace the seals and your problem should be solved.

Cheers
Nish
10-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip - however this SLR has new seals already. I have e-mailed the repair guy so I'm sure he can fix it

I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks,
Craig
10-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

1. Bang the bottom into your other hand
2. Take the lens off; manually move the aperture stopdown lever
3. Remove the bottom plate; the largest lever underneath has probably not completed its run. Poke at it with a screwdriver.
4. Remove film; push down on shutter curtain gently.
5. Send to Eric.

In that order Only progress if the previous step doesn't work.
10-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #13

Inside the mirror box, on the left (shutter release) side, there is the aperture stop-down lever or some such thing. It goes up and down. Use a fingernail or such and see if you can pull it down. The mirror might drop as it comes down. If this happens, the mirror comes down and stays down, I bet this means that something in the main mechanism is gummed up or needs overhauling.

Well, this is based on an MX.

Eric Henderson is very good. And very reasonable prices. I bet he does ME Supers in his sleep by this point.
10-24-2009, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #14

Currently I own 4 ME Supers. 2 are completely dead beyond resurrection and 1 I raised from the dead and the last one I've got it for $20 and is in good condition.
This tells 2 stories. ME Supers are getting old and they were not made to last - need services. Secondly, they are plentiful and dirt cheap - if one dies get another.

Anyway, the one I raised from the dead had exactly the same symptom of yours. Although the symptom is same the cause maybe different but this is how I did.
What I found was that the mechanical gear on the bottom of the camera has jammed. I opened the bottom plate and poked with small screwdriver here and there and got it de-tangled (sorry I am not a camera reparier but I opened another camera and checked how it should be). I cleaned and put some oil on the moving parts and bingo! now it works like a charm.
10-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all In the end I bought a P30n instead

It looks pretty cool so far, we'll see how the first roll comes out when developed

Have fun!
Craig