Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Help, Pentax ME Super's mirror is stuck up ... (solved)

Hello from Maine,

I have the Pentax ME Super, I am not very familiar with film cameras - I was snapping away with it and it worked fine, but then all of a sudden the mirror was locked up. It's not physically jammed as I can put it back down with my finger, but it pops back up after.

Is it mirror lock up ?

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Craig


Last edited by spystyle; 01-14-2011 at 07:00 PM.
10-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member
lurchlarson's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 683
I have an me super. This has happened to me before. Your batteries are probably dead.

Oh and DON'T pull on the mirror.
10-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Original Poster
Thanks for chiming in - sadly I don't think it's the batteries, I have about 100 of those types of batteries from eBay. I insert them as the manual says and I see LED lights in the viewfinder. I think the camera has juice ...

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I have an me super. This has happened to me before. Your batteries are probably dead.

Oh and DON'T pull on the mirror.
10-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,652
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Thanks for chiming in - sadly I don't think it's the batteries, I have about 100 of those types of batteries from eBay. I insert them as the manual says and I see LED lights in the viewfinder. I think the camera has juice ...

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Craig
I think the light seals might be breaking down and getting sticky. It happened to my old ME Super and I've never taken the inititive to get it fixed.

Tim

10-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I think the light seals might be breaking down and getting sticky. It happened to my old ME Super and I've never taken the inititive to get it fixed.

Tim
Hi Tim, it's not likely to be the light seals either, I recently had them replaced and there is no goop on the mirror.

The mirror isn't actually sticking up, rather it's being pushed up. I can pull it back down but it springs back up when I let go.

Thanks,
Craig
10-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,652
Here is a post with a couple of tricks you might want to try.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/71791-mesuper.html

Tim
10-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is a post with a couple of tricks you might want to try.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/71791-mesuper.html

Tim
Thanks or chiming in, though those tips were to no avail as well

Do we have a resident repair guy for Pentax film cameras ?

Thanks,
Craig
10-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Village, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,027
On my ME Super, when shooting in auto mode, it occasionally locks the mirror up after taking a shot. This sounds similar to your problem.

In my case, turning the mode dial to M or 1/125 will release it. Of course, the frame is lost, but the camera returns to normal.

There's a guy named Eric Hendrickson, who used to work for Pentax, who now specializes in repairing old Pentax cameras. His website is: Home

I've never used his services, but he has a great reputation on all the Pentax forums that I've seen. AFAIK, his prices are reasonable, as well.

10-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Original Poster
Thanks, after trying everything unsuccessfully, I will just send it to that guy - or abandon it to eBay if his rates make my heart stop.

have fun
Craig

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
On my ME Super, when shooting in auto mode, it occasionally locks the mirror up after taking a shot. This sounds similar to your problem.

In my case, turning the mode dial to M or 1/125 will release it. Of course, the frame is lost, but the camera returns to normal.

There's a guy named Eric Hendrickson, who used to work for Pentax, who now specializes in repairing old Pentax cameras. His website is: Home

I've never used his services, but he has a great reputation on all the Pentax forums that I've seen. AFAIK, his prices are reasonable, as well.
10-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
bnishanth's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore, KA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 223
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Thanks, after trying everything unsuccessfully, I will just send it to that guy - or abandon it to eBay if his rates make my heart stop.

have fun
Craig
Craig,

Dont sell it as it seems like an easy fix.

It looks like the rubber seal (where the mirror slaps) has aged over time and has turned a bit gooey / sticky. I had a similar issue and bought the below pre-cut seal kit from Jon Goodman (ebay id : interslice)

Pre-Cut Interslice Seal Kit Pentax ME, ME Super, MV - eBay (item 110447800140 end time Nov-18-09 16:20:27 PST)

He sells Camera seal kits and ships with brilliant installation manual. Buy it, replace the seals and your problem should be solved.

Cheers
Nish
10-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip - however this SLR has new seals already. I have e-mailed the repair guy so I'm sure he can fix it

I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks,
Craig
10-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
1. Bang the bottom into your other hand
2. Take the lens off; manually move the aperture stopdown lever
3. Remove the bottom plate; the largest lever underneath has probably not completed its run. Poke at it with a screwdriver.
4. Remove film; push down on shutter curtain gently.
5. Send to Eric.

In that order Only progress if the previous step doesn't work.
10-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco, California USA
Posts: 48
Inside the mirror box, on the left (shutter release) side, there is the aperture stop-down lever or some such thing. It goes up and down. Use a fingernail or such and see if you can pull it down. The mirror might drop as it comes down. If this happens, the mirror comes down and stays down, I bet this means that something in the main mechanism is gummed up or needs overhauling.

Well, this is based on an MX.

Eric Henderson is very good. And very reasonable prices. I bet he does ME Supers in his sleep by this point.
10-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
Junior Member
eSFotos's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 26
Currently I own 4 ME Supers. 2 are completely dead beyond resurrection and 1 I raised from the dead and the last one I've got it for $20 and is in good condition.
This tells 2 stories. ME Supers are getting old and they were not made to last - need services. Secondly, they are plentiful and dirt cheap - if one dies get another.

Anyway, the one I raised from the dead had exactly the same symptom of yours. Although the symptom is same the cause maybe different but this is how I did.
What I found was that the mechanical gear on the bottom of the camera has jammed. I opened the bottom plate and poked with small screwdriver here and there and got it de-tangled (sorry I am not a camera reparier but I opened another camera and checked how it should be). I cleaned and put some oil on the moving parts and bingo! now it works like a charm.
10-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Original Poster
Thanks all In the end I bought a P30n instead

It looks pretty cool so far, we'll see how the first roll comes out when developed

Have fun!
Craig
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
mirror, pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax LX mirror stuck up in AUTO only iht Pentax Film SLR Discussion 26 09-29-2010 11:37 AM
mirror stuck in pz-70 ralfo Pentax Film SLR Discussion 0 10-28-2009 01:58 PM
k1000 mirror stuck with pentax-A Lens mycroft Pentax Film SLR Discussion 22 07-06-2009 12:38 PM
ME Super Mirror Stuck up- easy fix?? tvfd911 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 04-07-2009 06:04 PM
Pentax ME mirror stuck clawhammer Pentax Film SLR Discussion 5 10-15-2008 08:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top