Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ME & ME Super parts compatibility

Hello all! My dad has an old Pentax ME, and I was curious if it's parts were compatible with the ME Super. I love my ME Super, and I fear the day that may come where the parts may never be available again. Are there any important parts that can break on my ME Super that I couldn't get out of the ME?

My ME Super is a a tank, but I'd like to know just in case. Maybe if the parts aren't available I could send both bodies to a repair shop and give my little tank a few more fighting years.

Thanks guys and gals!

10-23-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I guess it would depend on what parts needed changing. I have a ME Super "brick" that you can have for parts for the cost of shipping if you like.
10-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Parts cameras of these little guys aren't hard to come by. They were really popular. Just actually fielded my ME Super today,
10-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you ever get it repainted blue as you planned?

11-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #5

Lense Compatibility?

Just pulled out my old Pentax ME Super, but found that my existing 35mmx90mm zoom is bad. Are there current lense mounts that are still compatible with this body design? If so, what would i specifically look for regarding the mounting type? I think my original manual calls it a "Pentax Bayonette Mount with Fully Automatic Diaphragm Linkage". What does that equate to in today's lingo? Anyone know?
11-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wrmarti Quote
Just pulled out my old Pentax ME Super, but found that my existing 35mmx90mm zoom is bad. Are there current lense mounts that are still compatible with this body design? If so, what would i specifically look for regarding the mounting type? I think my original manual calls it a "Pentax Bayonette Mount with Fully Automatic Diaphragm Linkage". What does that equate to in today's lingo? Anyone know?
Just, Pentax K mount. Also, KA, (they're often referred to as 'M' or A lenses those two: if it says Pentax-M or Pentax A on a Pentax lens, there you are. Other makers would call them PK or PKA.

Also, FA, and DFA lenses should work fine there, if you have any of those, though obviously without the use of the autofocus.
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Did you ever get it repainted blue as you planned?
Was that to me, btw, Nick? I don't think I was talking about blue paint, though I was talking about doing some custom paint jobs for this summer: I got sold on the idea of using a muriatic acid dip, though, and have been having trouble obtaining it in sane quantities. (Stores around here seem to only sell these big contractor-sized bags I just don't know what I'd do with, so these projects got pushed down my list. Wasn't a great summer for my health, so I haven't gotten to the requisite tinkering.)

A custom color would be cool, though: (I think I mentioned it'd be neat to see if some gun shop could put a *blued* coating on there or reasonable simulation: ) the chrome on my little Super seems to be pitted enough it still wants to leach a little bit of the brass undercoat: the reason I thought I might have the plates off to begin with was for some cleaning inside, just in case there was more to that than the superficial, and there's a Canonet I've been wanting to do similar things to, cause the finder can use cleaning.

So, I haven't gotten there, yet. Now that I've heard Eric will work on them, I'm considering sending him this charmingly-worn Super A I scored and see if he can make all nice mechanically. The Super A will make a more convenient backup to my digital, being the rationale there: I can leave lenses on A: (often backup bodies will kind of serve as body caps as I swap lenses, or so go my habits from film days) Now that I actually have a Pentax lens that weighs something, I'll be more often wanting to carry lighter than my dual-system-few-lenses scheme. (All that is a long way around saying that I'll probably leave the ME Super alone, until I have another film body all sorted. The ME Super's in service atm. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-25-2009 at 05:11 PM.
11-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

RML, I can confidently vouch for Eric's work. He has (at very reasonable prices) repaired several cameras for me now including an ME Super that will hit the Marketplace soon.
11-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wrmarti Quote
What does that equate to in today's lingo? Anyone know?
Pentax still uses the same lens mount (the Pentax K). The ME Super is compatible with any lens designed for that mount that includes an aperture ring (though I can't confirm that myself, I only use old manual focus lenses).