Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Film camera bodies - CLA then sell, or sell as is?

Which way should I do as a seller: CLA the camera body, then sell, or sell the camera body as is?

The bodies are an LX with sticking mirror syndrome, and a black MX needing new light seals and mirror bumper (I can replace the light seals and mirror bumper, having done so for a dozen cameras).

The approximate costs of CLA are $160 for the LX and $70 for the MX.

10-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my experience as a seller you will not recoup your investment in the CLA.

Chris
10-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Which way should I do as a seller: CLA the camera body, then sell, or sell the camera body as is?

The bodies are an LX with sticking mirror syndrome, and a black MX needing new light seals and mirror bumper (I can replace the light seals and mirror bumper, having done so for a dozen cameras).

The approximate costs of CLA are $160 for the LX and $70 for the MX.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In my experience as a seller you will not recoup your investment in the CLA.

Chris
There was a time on ebay (2003-2005) when CERTAIN Pentax, Canon and Nikon film bodies (F1, AE-1, F2, most Spotmatics, K-series, M-series, but NOT the LX - they were too expensive) could be had for a few tens of dollars, CLA'ed for around $70 and resold in the $189 area. I did it perhaps 30 times over that period. Peter Zack says he bought and sold several HUNDRED lenses and bodies and is about even on money.

Also during that time a body and some manual lenses could be bid under $100, CLA'ed, broken up and resold such that you could keep some of the lenses for free.

Doing so required a decent "product"photograph, good text writing extolling the virtues of the item and reference to the clean cosmetic and CLA'ed mechanical condition of the item.

Alas, those days are behind us.

It seems everyone who wanted a CLA'ed 60's, 70's or 80's body now has 3 or 4 and would like to have 2 or 3.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-27-2009 at 06:59 PM.
10-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having gone through a number of bodies and lenses, I would strongly agree with both.
Going the CLA route strictly for resale purpose is not an economical proposition.
Now doing the CLA, using the body for some time and deciding that you do not want to keep it and reselling it at a loss is slightly different. This is what I would call the price of "making up your mind" or learning about what you really like or not that much.
Nothing wrong with it except for your wallet. But it is fun

Cheers,

Luc

10-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #5

I agree with everyone. Doing a CLA first is not a good idea if you will just sell it soon after. An LX in decent condition can be had for $300 or so. A CLA'd one will fetch maybe a little bit more. In fact theres one in the marketplace now

This is only a personal opinion but I get paranoid as a buyer about buying a CLA'd camera. I guess its because sellers on the bay post stuff for sale that is supposedly CLA'd but looking at the pics, there is no chance that they have. I'd much prefer to send it off myself and be sure the work is done properly. Of course this is all down to buyer paranoia and seller honesty No offense meant
10-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hope not. The one on the marketplace is one of mine
But I have Eric's invoice as a proof!

Cheers,

Luc

QuoteOriginally posted by sumo Quote
I agree with everyone. Doing a CLA first is not a good idea if you will just sell it soon after. An LX in decent condition can be had for $300 or so. A CLA'd one will fetch maybe a little bit more. In fact theres one in the marketplace now

This is only a personal opinion but I get paranoid as a buyer about buying a CLA'd camera. I guess its because sellers on the bay post stuff for sale that is supposedly CLA'd but looking at the pics, there is no chance that they have. I'd much prefer to send it off myself and be sure the work is done properly. Of course this is all down to buyer paranoia and seller honesty No offense meant
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A couple of years back I built up my camera fund by buying decrepit old cameras, cleaning them, replacing the seals and foam, and reselling the lenses and bodies separately at a profit. Not much investment in the cleaning, just a lot of time.

I gave it up when the old lens craziness (which seemed to accompany the ~2007 surge in popularity of Pentax DSLR's) ended and prices came back down to earth.

I think you'd be better off spending a little time doing basic cleaning and seal replacement yourself, rather than a CLA.

10-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For the MX, I would replace the seals and bumpers and sell as is provided nothing else is wrong with it. Just last night I re-sealed a K1000 that I plan to sell. As Monochrome suggested, I just don't need so many film bodies. I do have a CLA'd Spottie up for sale, but I had the work done earlier this spring with the intention of keeping it and using it. I haven't used it. I wouldn't have had it CLA'd just to sell.

As for your LX...seeing what they are (or are not) going for here lately, I would probably sell it as is, thoroughly described.
10-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I hope not. The one on the marketplace is one of mine
But I have Eric's invoice as a proof!

Cheers,

Luc
I was actually seriously considering buying it but I am currently in the process of getting a NOS LX. Of course if Eric's receipt is included its all a different story
10-27-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i think it will be depending with how good the condition of the body it self. well, if it has alot ding and brassing ..sell it as it is maybe not a bad option. but if you found a nice mint body ..without a brassing or any dent at all.. might worth to try to give it a try sceond chance to live. mean CLA.

----

my case was a KX which have its lightmetes is dead..im thinking sell it as is. because i dont think anyboy in Indonesia have capabilty to solve the problem.

the black K2 i have in another chance is a mint one with meter running oke.. im thinking i can CLA it..

10-27-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
Dom

What does CLA mean?
10-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
What does CLA mean?
Clean Lubricate and Adjustment
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You lucky guys living in Japan...you can shop for NOS LX. I do not think that there are any left in North America....
How much does a NOS LX goes for in japan?

BTW - I posted Eric's receipt on the OP.

Cheers,

Luc

QuoteOriginally posted by sumo Quote
I was actually seriously considering buying it but I am currently in the process of getting a NOS LX. Of course if Eric's receipt is included its all a different story
10-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #14

a little OT but i might be interested in the MX, i'll get it CLA'd myself.

Last edited by PNTXFTW12; 10-27-2009 at 08:23 AM.
10-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Light seals allow you to sell for a few more bucks
but a full CLA you'll never recoup... unless you seel here or to a guy that understand the difference....

also there is the danger that after CLA you run a test roll andthen selling the camera sounds like a terrible idea!!