Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I know for sure that on a Pz-1p, when the lens is on "A" (or lacking an aperture ring), you can have total control over the aperture with the scroll wheels on the right hand side of the camera.

Not sure about the MZ series, except for the M. When the lens is in "A" all you have is shutter priority, and program mode. In order to enter aperture priority mode, you'll need to set the shutter dial to "A" and rotate the aperture ring to the desired F-stop.

11-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Depends on your body. Any body that doesnt need aperture ring to control aperture should use DA 10-17mm fine. Some bodies you can manipulate aperture still if by using Tv mode (this pretty much means ALL mz series bodies can control DA aperture?). Full frame for the DA 10-17 starts at 14mm. At 10mm even with Panorama mode you can still see the hood unfortunately.

In terms of image quality. I think the extreme corners are just a tad unsharp / blurry, but not as bad as using Sigma 10-20mm on the Canon 5ds. The center and corner is great.

I've said it several times but I'll say it again; 14-17mm fisheye on mz-7 is love <3

Will post some pics later when I get back
Thanks. My Z-1P has taken quite a beating, but was thinking about maybe later getting the MZ-5N or MZ-3. (As you mention, Tv mode would be okay). They both have panorama feature as well, my MZ-M doesn't. And as I understand it, the MZ-S wouldn't have it either.

I just noticed that the Z-5p also has 1/8000 sec. shutter, and 1/250 Flash synch. Anybody know how it is compared to the Z-1P ?

Came across two links regarding Panorama and film cam :
Pentax Photography: Making panoramas easier with the K10D

Pentax Photography: Using DA lenses with 35mm Cameras
08-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Depends on your body. Any body that doesnt need aperture ring to control aperture should use DA 10-17mm fine. Some bodies you can manipulate aperture still if by using Tv mode (this pretty much means ALL mz series bodies can control DA aperture?). Full frame for the DA 10-17 starts at 14mm. At 10mm even with Panorama mode you can still see the hood unfortunately.

In terms of image quality. I think the extreme corners are just a tad unsharp / blurry, but not as bad as using Sigma 10-20mm on the Canon 5ds. The center and corner is great.

I've said it several times but I'll say it again; 14-17mm fisheye on mz-7 is love <3

Will post some pics later when I get back
Hi Andy,
older thread. But do you have some samples from DA fisheye zoom on your MZ-7 ?
Sounds cool shooting at 14 mm, and just applying the panorama function

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
At the beginning I thought it was a gimmick
but after using this mode in the MZ7 with wide angles and with the 17/4 fisheye I have gotten to like it.

I believe the 10-17 in film should be tremendous, and the panorama mode will help you eliminate most of the vignetting... it did with the 17-55
Thanks for the info. The 10-17 is moving up on my wish list

Do you have some scanned examples of your shots ?

Last edited by Jonson PL; 08-26-2010 at 04:37 AM.
08-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Hi Andy,
older thread. But do you have some samples from DA fisheye zoom on your MZ-7 ?
Sounds cool shooting at 14 mm, and just applying the panorama function
I just moved to a new apartment so we haven't got our PC setup yet... once i get some pics out I'll post it on this thread