Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panoramic mode on PZ-70

Hello all -

The camera body review database lists the PZ-70 as not having a panoramic mode, only the Z-70p. My body is clearly labeled a PZ-70, and yet does have such a mode. Was there a switch at some point? Does any one else have a PZ-70 with (or without) a panoramic mode?

Just curious! Thanks, Nick

10-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My Z-70 has panoramic mode, it's a slide switch on the bottom of the back. All it does is slide two plastic pieces behind the shutter to blank off the top and bottom of the frame. I don't really see the point!
10-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
My Z-70 has panoramic mode, it's a slide switch on the bottom of the back. All it does is slide two plastic pieces behind the shutter to blank off the top and bottom of the frame. I don't really see the point!
Its nice to use with wide angle lenses, just extra options for your composition I quite like this feature actually, especially with the da 10-17mm
10-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
The point was that it allowed automatic printers to pick out panoramics by having unexposed portions of film in the frame.
We used to get subject failures because someone would have a dark strip below a horizon that the printer would key on and produce a panoramic print.
If the viewfinder masks as well, then it is of some compositional use, but otherwise, your right, it was a feature looking for a purpose and failing to find it.

10-29-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My PZ-1p's viewfinder has a pair of lines to mark where the shutters would be when the camera is switched over to panoramic mode, and a red "P" lights up to remind you what mode the camera is in.

I also find the lines useful in subject composition as they're part of the rule of thirds grid (just missing the two vertical lines to complete the 9 square grid on the viewfinder).
10-29-2009, 04:48 AM   #6

Can anyone is helpful enough to show how does the panoramic photos looks like? I used my Pentax Epsio Point and shoot is somehting like this

is this the same as the Pz70?
10-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The point was that it allowed automatic printers to pick out panoramics by having unexposed portions of film in the frame.
We used to get subject failures because someone would have a dark strip below a horizon that the printer would key on and produce a panoramic print.
If the viewfinder masks as well, then it is of some compositional use, but otherwise, your right, it was a feature looking for a purpose and failing to find it.
The viewfinder does mask. In fact I have a wishful thinking that some DSLR makers would take a look at this feature and give us the option to crop in-viewfinder to 6x45, 6x7, 1x3, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by 3RiC Quote
[/IMG]

is this the same as the Pz70?
Assuming that pz-70 mask is the same as mz-10 and mz-7; that's how it looks more or less.

10-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine has the slide switch, but it doesn't affect the viewfinder. Haven't tried shooting with it on.

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 10-30-2009 at 06:54 PM.
10-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Mine has the slide switch, but it doesn't affect the viewfinder. Haven't tried shooting with it on.
The blinds should be physically visible from the film side of the shutter. Try flicking it with the film back opened
10-31-2009, 04:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yup, double checked it on my 1p. Blinds are visible right behind the shutter on the film side (when the film door is open, of course), and there's a big red "P" in the viewfinder to remind you that the camera is in panoramic mode. No blinds drop down in the viewfinder, just a pair of etched lines in the ground glass.

You won't physically see the results until you have the film developed, and you have told the technician that you've shot in panoramic mode for a few frames.
10-31-2009, 05:20 AM   #11

but the Panoramic mode is wiithin the standard 35mm frame measurement....
in other it dose not affect the development process right...?
10-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nope it does not affect the standard development process. In fact, you might get 4x6es (or whatever size you ordered your prints in) with these weird black bars on the top and bottom of the frame...
11-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Its nice to use with wide angle lenses, just extra options for your composition I quite like this feature actually, especially with the da 10-17mm
So you use the DA 10-17 mm fish-eye lens on film cam ? I've been thinking about the same thing, it works out ok ?

I've always liked the panorama function, it was helpful as compositional aid. And I liked the big prints you got, when picking up the film.
11-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

At the beginning I thought it was a gimmick
but after using this mode in the MZ7 with wide angles and with the 17/4 fisheye I have gotten to like it.

I believe the 10-17 in film should be tremendous, and the panorama mode will help you eliminate most of the vignetting... it did with the 17-55
11-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
So you use the DA 10-17 mm fish-eye lens on film cam ? I've been thinking about the same thing, it works out ok ?

I've always liked the panorama function, it was helpful as compositional aid. And I liked the big prints you got, when picking up the film.
Depends on your body. Any body that doesnt need aperture ring to control aperture should use DA 10-17mm fine. Some bodies you can manipulate aperture still if by using Tv mode (this pretty much means ALL mz series bodies can control DA aperture?). Full frame for the DA 10-17 starts at 14mm. At 10mm even with Panorama mode you can still see the hood unfortunately.

In terms of image quality. I think the extreme corners are just a tad unsharp / blurry, but not as bad as using Sigma 10-20mm on the Canon 5ds. The center and corner is great.

I've said it several times but I'll say it again; 14-17mm fisheye on mz-7 is love <3

Will post some pics later when I get back