Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #1

Are replacement focus screens available for the Program Plus?

Does anyone know if pentax / third parties make focus screens that can fit a program plus?

I picked up a used program plus and after a couple days the foam above the mirror turned to dust and got all over my focus screen. I tried blowing it out with compressed air, but that just made the situation worse. I have tried removing the screen and cleaning with soapy water, but the foam dust seems to be embedded in the screen.

The camera is still usable, but I have a smudge (or maybe a scratch) across the split prism which is is making focusing a pain.

Does anyone know of a solution? Will the new focus screens on the market fit a manual pentax circa 1984?

Thanks,
Caleb

11-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #2

Original Poster
It wasn't terribly hard to remove and replace the focus screen when I cleaned it.

I just removed two small screws and broke factory applied glue (it old enough to come off easily ... I could see having problems when the camera was new).

I have a good camera repair shop here in Madison, but I was hoping to do the work myself.
11-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice regarding a replacement screen except to suggest that you get another program plus and scavenge the screen from it. In regards to foam debris that was the original cause for this issue...This stuff is really hard to get off since it is basically a sticky tar-like goo. Camera repair guys use solvent and special cleaning techniques to deal with this sort of thing.

Steve