Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
should've bought from KEH?

Okay, so i just bought a 'working, excellent condition' Pentax MX body off ebay for about 85 CAD, with shipping it was about 100.
Now i'm confused, i was reading around and i found this:

KEH Camera: Pentax Manual Focus - Camera Bodies - MX CHROME 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY

now, call me stupid for asking, but is that the price for a NEW pentax MX?
did i just screwed?

11-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That BGN is bargain condition in KEH terms. Hardly new, but 100% functioning with some cosmetic flaws. KEH is very conservative with their gradings.
11-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out the Grade.
11-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
oh i see, BGN...

QuoteOriginally posted by KEH Website:
"Bargain" Shows more than average wear. May have dents, dings and/or brassing and finish loss. Glass may have marks and/or blemishes that should not affect picture quality*.
alright, let's hope my the one i bought off ebay looks as good as it did in the pictures.

11-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
oh i see, BGN...

alright, let's hope my the one i bought off ebay looks as good as it did in the pictures.
It looks to be a stock photo, but KEH is excellent. I got my K10 body for them, and it's been perfect. Others are correct, they are copnservative, which is much appreciated in an era of "awesome" hyperbole.
11-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
Okay, so i just bought a 'working, excellent condition' Pentax MX body off ebay for about 85 CAD, with shipping it was about 100.
Now i'm confused, i was reading around and i found this:

KEH Camera: Pentax Manual Focus - Camera Bodies - MX CHROME 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY

now, call me stupid for asking, but is that the price for a NEW pentax MX?
did i just screwed?
KEH shipping to Canada is atrocious, it’s slow and expensive. Also the item pictures, if they even exist, are not of the one you are getting. So you are mostly buying sight unseen, though like other members have indicated their grading system is generous. KEH also has a habit of sending the wrong item, three times for me now. They do refund with no argument, so at least you can get your money back.

I find KEH overrated and think it’s best to deal with a good online camera store that is more organized and has proper pictures of the item you are buying. You did well with your eBay purchase.

Phil.
11-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks guys i feel alot better...for now!
oh, and to clarify, buy 'pictures' i meant the ones on the ebay seller page, they looked pretty decent, i understood the photos on KEH are stock images.

11-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used gear purchased from KEH comes with a 14 day no-questions-asked return period, plus a 60 day warranty.
Good luck finding that from a seller on eBay.
I look for bargains on eBay, too. But when the prices are the same I choose KEH every time.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-05-2009 at 05:56 PM.
11-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Keh's got kind of annoyingly-expensive shipping, indeed, particularly if you're only looking for one small thing. They've missed out on my business more than once cause I just couldn't see plunking down an extra thirteen bucks for slow shipping to pick up a couple of minor things. (I really wished they'd find a way to make smaller orders more practical, ...I find that when I want to snap up something more major, sometimes I don't want to go rummaging through a bits bin. (Frankly, a wish list like Amazon or Adorama has would be helpful there, too: they also don't save an order you're working on, being in a hurry to log you out. )

So, there's inconveniences, but they generally have a good rep for things like condition ratings (they aren't infallible, dealing with a fair amount of volume, but most seem generally satisfied.)

I'm actually wondering if anyone's ever sold anything to them. I've got a common lens for my Mamiya that could use service, and they have service, so I'm contemplating just trading in to defray the cost.
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have bought several lenses from KEH, among them the Pentax A 400/5.6 and the 500/4.5 etc. - so, not only cheap stuff. Shipping on their site seems extraordinary. But I could alsways simply resolve the matter via a friendly email with a cheaper shipping quote. Thus I reduced their shipping cost from 250 USD (for the 500/4.5) to just 70 USD to Germany.
I once received a faulty lightmeter, but that was dealt with, with no questions asked within a couple of hours. I can only praise their exceptional service and am well prepared to pay a couple of bucks more for the products and bargain about the shipping cost...

Ben
11-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just a note in terms of 'bargain' shipping cost. The option that you choose may not come with tracking and thus KEH will not be responsible if it doesnt arrive. I've ordered four times from them now and all have arrived safely *knock on wood*.
11-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Good to hear, Ben. It's actually the shipping minimum that seems to deter small orders, but it sounds like they let you save a bundle: I think they actually start at a minimum and go up by price. For the record, my lens arrived today, and it seems they billed me for a little less than that minimum, likely owing to me living so close. And it got here quickly for the same reason, despite me not paying extra for a rush, so I'm mollified somewhat on that count.

As for the lens itself, it came in beautiful shape: if it's not up to snuff, I suspect that's from the design of it, (Got me an older Sigma 28-105 2.8-4: think it's from film days, and of the basic grade, not a wonder of sharpness, but, darn is it a nice size and concept. Got to tide me over till a Tammie 28-75.) ...and nothing on them. Very happy with the purchase end.

I'm still wondering if anyone has a notion about the Mamiya lens in question: what it is is just an old 80 2.8, it's in lovely shape, but for lubrication-related problems. Since they're so common and inexpensive, I was considering just trading mine in rather than waiting on a repair. I suspect their service department could turn it over some slow day. Thoughts?
11-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Used gear purchased from KEH comes with a 14 day no-questions-asked return period, plus a 60 day warrantee.
Good luck finding that from a seller on eBay.
I look for bargains on eBay, too. But when the prices are the same I choose KEH every time.

Chris
I have never had any problems out of KEH either. Its really hard to beat the 14 day no-questions return policy and the 60 day warranty on used gear.
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KEH has a very strange way of shipping to Canada. They wait until they get a certain amount of orders; then send them on mass to Sweden via courier. (Purolator)
Then your package is sent by regular mail (Swedish post), back to Canada.

Instead of taking two weeks, it takes three to four. I have seen this method before with
“CD Universe”, an online music/video store.

KEH also will not buy any used camera equipment from anyone outside the US, due to possible import duties.

Phil.
11-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Just a note in terms of 'bargain' shipping cost. The option that you choose may not come with tracking and thus KEH will not be responsible if it doesnt arrive. I've ordered four times from them now and all have arrived safely *knock on wood*.
That's a valid notion. I also would never choose an option without insurance and tracking. But even then, the cost range is very wide.

If I remember rightly I switched from the UPS shipping, they offered initially for near 250USD to USPS Express shipping for just over 70USD, which was a significant saving and offered the same level of protection. On top it saved the UPS fees for getting the package through German customs.

Ben